1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NOISE AT VARIOUS SPEEDS

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by REPINS, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jun 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM
    REPINS

REPINS [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CARL
    ARIZONA
    Vehicle:
    White 2012 Tacoma 4X4 DCLB V6
    ARB Front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, On board air system, Rear air bags, OME front struts/springs, 6 HID off road lights, ARE camper shell with rack, Tow package.
    NOISE PROBLEM....I have a 2012 crew cab 4x4. When driving at speeds of about 59mph i get a noise that sounds like someone is blowing across the top of a bottle, at 60 it goes away. Then at 85 it comes back so loud you have to let off the gas. It sounds like its coming from the front drivers side but not really sure. I thought is was a side window seal, but its not, I taped up the doors and checked. It gets worse if you let up off the gas. ANYONE know what it could be? I am only guessing but a bearing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its going into shop as soon as I can get a day off to take it in. I only have 5 thousand miles on it.:eek:

2. Jun 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    Not really sure, but check out this thread.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...nt-differential-bearing-vibration-thread.html

Others have reported a howling noise associated with this particular issue described in the linked thread, even with brand new trucks. I didn't have a howling noise so I don't know how to describe what it sounds like, but I could certainly feel a grinding/vibration in the front drivers side. I might be shooting in the dark here since your truck is brand new, but it might be worth reading thru this entire thread to see if you have similar symptoms. Not sure is the 2012's are experiencing this or not. The tell-tale sign is to engage your 4 wheel drive and see if the noise goes away. If so, continue to read thru the thread I linked for you. Good luck

3. Jun 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    even11steven

even11steven Member

Member:
    Metairie, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner V6 TRD OR
    I have the same problem at 55-60 mph. Sounds like a whistle. Probably wind noise. If you figure it out. Let me know. It's been this way for me since the first mile. I now have 8000.

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    REPINS

Member:
    First Name:
    CARL
    ARIZONA
    Vehicle:
    ARB Front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, On board air system, Rear air bags, OME front struts/springs, 6 HID off road lights, ARE camper shell with rack, Tow package.
    Thanks for the help guys. I love my tacoma but not with the noise and had to take a day off work so I could take my truck in to the toyota shop this morning. I just could not drive it with the noise anymore.
    Toyota, who kept telling me noises are normal in trucks, now believe its not a normal noise after I drove them in it for 20 minutes at the speed which makes the noise. They are going to get back to me after doing their own research with other shops and corporate. I will advise what they come up with as soon as they tell me.[​IMG]

In the meantime since I took the day off, I did some research myself.
    According to other Tacoma owners, the noise problem has been going on for 6 + years and can be two seperate problems. The first, the noise that sounds like its coming from the front windshield area, and the loudest most annoying noise you will ever hear. Apparently this can be fixed or drastically reduced by putting a 1/4 inch rubber hose through the center of the front hood seal above front grill. The other noise, which I describe as like a person blowing across a bottle is related to door seals on the truck and the fix is adjusting the door or replacing the seals. Again this is just what other tacoma owners have posted in other places not what the dealer mechanic has found.

5. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    People have taken trucks in before and dealers will tell you its factory settings so they cant change a thing

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 4:52 AM
    REPINS

Member:
    First Name:
    CARL
    ARIZONA
    Vehicle:
    I know of one women that has this same issue in florida.
    She is using the ''LEMON LAW'' and in arbutration now.

This noise is not normal and just so you can hear it I have attached a link to a person that recorded it. http://youtu.be/iFEMNAm5ARM . This is the noise that sounds like its coming from your windshield.

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    REPINS

Member:
    First Name:
    CARL
    ARIZONA
    Vehicle:
    The dealer finally called me back. According to the service Manager at My area Toyota, upper management is aware of the problem and are taking the following steps to try and fix the issue for me.They are going to replace my grill, the hood seals and my front windshield. Doing it all thurs,friday. I will advise if it works

8. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    03is300ztk

03is300ztk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Somewhere in the hills NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4
    Grillcraft, with front and rear bumper/bed in the works.
    Sad thing is there is actually a TSB on this, it involves finding and repairing the faulty windshield seal. So hopefully with a new windshield they will solve the issue.

Are they doing it all at once, or one at a time to determine what the problem is?

Products Discussed in

To Top