1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adding a new Cat-back do I need to reset the onboard computer?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 1stTruck, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    1stTruck

1stTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Billies 5100's front set to 1.75 plus 1/4 taco lean spacer. Rears Billies plus AAL for a 2" leaf. 265/75/16 BGF's. Double din Kenwood stereo w/bluetooth and steering wheel controls and JBL speakers front & rear. Heavy duty battery. Billet grill blacked out. K&N air filter and MBRP cat-back. Just tuned it up new plugs and new front brake pads. Steel powered coated tailgate cap. Billet Grill painted black & factory roof racks. Oh new head lights thanks to toyota.
    I'm changing from my stock exhaust to a new cat-back system. I read somewhere that you should disconnet the (-) side of the battery for 30mins to reset the onboard computer for the new exhaust. Is that true?

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Always a good idea to reset the ECU for any mod that changes airflow, exhaust and intake included.

This helps the fuel and spark trims to reset themselves in order to get the most out of your new product!

You can just remove the ECU fuse in the engine compartment for 10 minutes, that way you dont reset your clock and radio presets.

Products Discussed in

To Top