Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   question....Y-pipe or long tube headers (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/232019-question-y-pipe-long-tube-headers.html)

NtacomaR 07-30-2012 06:54 PM

question....Y-pipe or long tube headers

2012 tacoma baja edition. would a y-pipe or long tube headers from URD, which would yield better HP and Torque. i want to keep at least two of my Catalytic Converters...anyone have any pointers?

whippersnapper02 07-30-2012 06:57 PM

Long tubes delete the front cats and a y pipe deletes the rears. Both would reduce low end power but open up top end.

NtacomaR 07-30-2012 06:59 PM

yea i see that...but i want to be able to pass smog tests still and if i keep two out of the four of my Cat's, ill still pass smog (says URD). so i was wondering what would benefit me more?

NtacomaR 07-30-2012 07:07 PM

???

whippersnapper02 07-30-2012 07:07 PM

I'm not sure what standards NV has but if they do a visual, you won't pass with either item.

Long tubes would be my choice if I had to pick between the 2.

NtacomaR 07-30-2012 07:09 PM

Nv does MINIMAL visual...everyone one of my smogs ive had on prior vehicles they just plugged a thing in and that was it

Pugga 07-31-2012 04:51 AM

Short tubes FTW :thumbsup:

Chris(NJ) 07-31-2012 04:57 AM

Heres my opinion. Get the y-pipe. Opening up the exhaust system starting at the headers is backwards. Ideally, start with a cat-back exhaust system, then more towards the block. Going in the reverse order will only cause the additional airflow to bottleneck as it reaches the next restrictive portion of the whole system.

Torspd 07-31-2012 08:59 AM

Y like is definitely the more restrictive of the two. At least on the '05-11 models. Multiple reductions in sizes as well as kinks. Not sure on the '12+. Take a pic of it if you don't mind, and post it up. That will make it easier to tell.

ManMan 07-31-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) (Post 5465740)
Heres my opinion. Get the y-pipe. Opening up the exhaust system starting at the headers is backwards. Ideally, start with a cat-back exhaust system, then more towards the block. Going in the reverse order will only cause the additional airflow to bottleneck as it reaches the next restrictive portion of the whole system.

The further from the exhaust valve, the greater the volume and the corresponding velocity drop. So, restriction matters less at the tailpipe than the header.

That's why a muffler or cat back don't make the same gains as headers unless they are usually restrictive.

Torspd 07-31-2012 08:49 PM

Factory Y pipe is quite restrictive. With impeding flow points. I have to do some digging but i should be able to find a pic. Showing a side by side difference between the 4x4 Y, and the URD 4x4 Y.

Chris(NJ) 08-01-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManMan (Post 5469427)
The further from the exhaust valve, the greater the volume and the corresponding velocity drop. So, restriction matters less at the tailpipe than the header.

That's why a muffler or cat back don't make the same gains as headers unless they are usually restrictive.

Exactly but you're not going to get the full potential of the headers if the rest of the exhaust can't flow the extra air. Thats pretty well understood.

Torspd 08-01-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) (Post 5471423)
Exactly but you're not going to get the full potential of the headers if the rest of the exhaust can't flow the extra air. Thats pretty well understood.

Correct. The exhaust will only flow as good as is worst restriction allows. Just like a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Lurkin 08-01-2012 08:52 AM

OP, given your post, which is asking one OR the other, headers are the one. Proven gains at mid to high rpm levels, might cost some low though (dyno shows loss, but any actual upgraders that report a loss are minimal). The y-pipe, while good, does not have any documetned gains by themselves that I have seen. Good part of an upgrade plan if that's where you want to go, but by itself.....

BTW Chris, my opinion on order is different as I would upgrade parts one-by-one based on the biggest improvement for the $$$ I have. Given that, I would do headers, Y, catback (or just upgrade the muffler if I am staying NA and not racing). I understand what you are saying, but I would pop on the biggest improvement first and go from there.

skytower 08-01-2012 10:37 AM

Short tube header and x-pipe.

NtacomaR 08-03-2012 06:14 PM

ok so i decided to go with the Y-Pipe. Because the o2 sensors only monitor the front Cats near the headers. So the Cats connected to the Y-pipe basically arent doing much haha...so with a CAI, URD Y-Pipe, and TRD exhuast should i yield some good performance???

Pugga 08-03-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NtacomaR (Post 5485372)
ok so i decided to go with the Y-Pipe. Because the o2 sensors only monitor the front Cats near the headers. So the Cats connected to the Y-pipe basically arent doing much haha...so with a CAI, URD Y-Pipe, and TRD exhuast should i yield some good performance???

Once again, short tube headers FTMFW :cool:

It's power in an RPM range you'll actually use daily. Plus, all cats stay in place so no issues with emissions or CEL's.

NtacomaR 08-03-2012 06:47 PM

haha dang you have me second guessing myself now....what if i do short tube headers with y-pipe? ill retain the front cats still, correct?

Pugga 08-03-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NtacomaR (Post 5485512)
haha dang you have me second guessing myself now....what if i do short tube headers with y-pipe? ill retain the front cats still, correct?

Yes, you'll keep the front cats but I don't know what coupling the Y-pipe with short tubes gains you. Short tubes gives you gains in the low to middle RPM range. I'm not sure what happens when you put a less restrictive Y-pipe behind the shortys does for you.

NtacomaR 08-03-2012 06:52 PM

but if i were to just do shortys itll be a noticeable gain?