Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   Electric Supercharger? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/2418-electric-supercharger.html)

caglezxj 08-08-2007 03:44 PM

Electric Supercharger?
 
Has anyone used one of these. The URD kit is nice, but after 3500.00 in lift and wheel/tires, I don't see throwing another 5,000.00 out there. They clame to get 30 hp gains from them, and with the module/chip it is suppose to give you another 20. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't believe you would get 30 or 50 total but maybe 25 or even 20 hp gains. For 100.00 that is good. Then a new exhaust system you could maybe get 10 more. Let me know what you guys think. I would like to try this, just need some more info.

Links to site

http://www.electricchargers.com/
http://www.stchiptuning.com/

gdawg25 08-08-2007 03:54 PM

Why don't you just hook a leaf blower up to your intake? I wouldn't use that thing if they gave it to me for free, but that's my opinion. My guess is it will probably restrict the air flow more than anything. Let us know how it works out for you, if you get one.

Spyder327 08-08-2007 04:05 PM

Do NOT get that crap man. There's a reason that an awesome kit like URD's costs $5,000 and that thing is $100. It wont help you at all.

caglezxj 08-08-2007 04:20 PM

I think it would help some. I might not add anything else, but I know pushing more air and adding a URD mass ir flow calibrator would change things alot. If you can explain to me how it would not work let me know. Each kit is designed to force more air in, and with the right calibrator for the MAF sensor it should give you some gain.

AUDITECH 08-08-2007 04:21 PM

Yea only 100.00 bucks if it sounds to good to be true it most likely is

Spyder327 08-08-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caglezxj (Post 18682)
I think it would help some. I might not add anything else, but I know pushing more air and adding a URD mass ir flow calibrator would change things alot. If you can explain to me how it would not work let me know. Each kit is designed to force more air in, and with the right calibrator for the MAF sensor it should give you some gain.

That thing will not be powerful enough to help more than hinder by taking up space in that intake.

Don't you think EVERYONE would have one if it was "bolt-on 20hp"? Or dont you think car manufacturers would produce them OEM?

Dont give your truck problems by using that thing man, it's not worth it. And as far as that chip goes, thats an even worse idea.

Be logical, what is out there that gives you 20hp for $100? Nothing, and there's a reason for it.

maverick491 08-08-2007 05:07 PM

Don't you kind of wonder why there are no good pictures of this device on the web page? By "featured" in those magazines on the bottom of the page it means that they paid for advertising in the back half somewhere. I no more believe that this thing does anything than I believe that the pills that are "featured" in the back of my car and driver or guns and ammo magazine will really enlarge my member to rival that of Ron Jermey. It's snake oil.

You can find these things on e-bay too, I think I came across them by accident while looking for TRD parts (someone stuck TRD in the description for this thing, and curiosity compelled me to read it)

Here's what it is in reality. It is a marine application blower. There is a little switch on the dash of a boat with an inboard motor marked blower. What it does is forceably vent flamable vapors out of the sealed engine compartment so that when you start up the boat after it's been sitting a while you don't blow yourself up.

Go to a boat dealer, turn on the blower, stick you hand over the blower exhaust, you'll feel that it really moves next to no air at all. That is why you are supposed to leave the blower on for 5 minutes before starting the boat. All you are going to do with this is put a big obstruction in you intake.

Spyder327 08-08-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick491 (Post 18696)
All you are going to do with this is put a big obstruction in you intake.

Precisely :)

caglezxj 08-08-2007 08:12 PM

well this was the type of questions I wanted to hear. Does the x-runner come with any factory performance parts? TRD makes superchargers for around 2800.00 the urd might be in the future.

Spyder327 08-08-2007 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caglezxj (Post 18712)
well this was the type of questions I wanted to hear. Does the x-runner come with any factory performance parts? TRD makes superchargers for around 2800.00 the urd might be in the future.

TRD has spent over 2 years "making" a S/C for the 05+ tacomas, and it's not released. When they release one, it will cost plenty more than 2800 too.

The only performance difference between an x-runner and any other 05+ tacoma is the suspension

Bfmco7 08-09-2007 04:23 AM

Panama Red.. What do you think about this?

4x4Taco 08-09-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caglezxj (Post 18675)
Has anyone used one of these. The URD kit is nice, but after 3500.00 in lift and wheel/tires, I don't see throwing another 5,000.00 out there. They clame to get 30 hp gains from them, and with the module/chip it is suppose to give you another 20. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't believe you would get 30 or 50 total but maybe 25 or even 20 hp gains. For 100.00 that is good. Then a new exhaust system you could maybe get 10 more. Let me know what you guys think. I would like to try this, just need some more info.

Links to site

http://www.electricchargers.com/
http://www.stchiptuning.com/

OK...here we go....

To make 30hp on a V6 tacoma you need 2lbs of boost. For an electric supercharger to make 2lbs of boost on your engine would need close to 1000 amps of power at 12volts. Can you say impossible. The only electric setups I have ever seen that help in the least use caps to store up energy and then the SC can come on for a few seconds to help with acceleration. Save your money.

Panama Red 08-09-2007 05:46 AM

Bfmco7:
The "electric supercharger" has been around for several years (it has discussed over on the Miatas forums many times). For those people who tried it (partly as a "gag"), they never achieved any benefit. As a result, it is looked upon as another version of "snake oil".

Bfmco7 08-09-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panama Red (Post 18750)
Bfmco7:
The "electric supercharger" has been around for several years (it has discussed over on the Miatas forums many times). For those people who tried it (partly as a "gag"), they never achieved any benefit. As a result, it is looked upon as another version of "snake oil".

thanks.. so it really is junk..

reid 08-09-2007 04:56 PM

OK im going to regret this, but I here it goes...

When I was 16 (ten years ago) I road a Kawasaki Ninji 400. Me and a friend on mine "installed" a computer fan in the intake tube. We thought more air equals more power. Yes I was a stupid kid.

The fan, running at full power, and those computer fans run pretty fast, restricted the air flow so much that the bike barelly ran at idle. Let alone while reving up.

The actual speed of air being sucked into your manifold while your engine is running is way faster than any electric motor can ever force in. This is also why hood scoops dont actually "force" air into your engine. They only give your engine access to colder air.

Dont worry I put "supercharged" stickers all over the bike, that made it faster.

Panama Red 08-09-2007 05:29 PM

reid:
:thumbsup: & :amen:

Bfmco7 08-10-2007 03:59 AM

Heck I give you props for trying that at sixteen.. You were thinking, thats for sure. You never know if something works until you try it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reid (Post 18844)
OK im going to regret this, but I here it goes...

When I was 16 (ten years ago) I road a Kawasaki Ninji 400. Me and a friend on mine "installed" a computer fan in the intake tube. We thought more air equals more power. Yes I was a stupid kid.

The fan, running at full power, and those computer fans run pretty fast, restricted the air flow so much that the bike barelly ran at idle. Let alone while reving up.

The actual speed of air being sucked into your manifold while your engine is running is way faster than any electric motor can ever force in. This is also why hood scoops dont actually "force" air into your engine. They only give your engine access to colder air.

Dont worry I put "supercharged" stickers all over the bike, that made it faster.


reid 08-10-2007 01:28 PM

Ya, go figure, ten years later I am building custom show bikes.

Bfmco7 08-11-2007 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reid (Post 18973)
Ya, go figure, ten years later I am building custom show bikes.

Who would have guessed!! Have any pictures?

reid 08-11-2007 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Built this one for myself last year, won a lot of awards. Just a simple, clean bike, lots of open space, nothing crazy.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM.