Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   New Tacoma owner needs TRD supercharger info (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/254586-new-tacoma-owner-needs-trd-supercharger-info.html)

B11 12-23-2012 11:37 AM

New Tacoma owner needs TRD supercharger info

I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road pkg. w/V6 w/auto that I purchased yesterday and part of my "deal" was I buy the TRD SC and they install it no additional charge to me.

Who has the best price on these TRD superchargers? From the little bit of digging I've already done the price seems to be alllllll over the map.

Do you all think the motor needs to be broke in and get a few miles on it before I have the SC installed and if so about how many miles is enough???

Other than having to use premium fuel and poor fuel economy when I've got my foot in it does the TRD SC cause any serious or major problems in the future? I completely understand I can/could have premature wear issues in the drivetrain if I spend a lot of time rodding the piss out of it.

I've read URD has a smaller, stock look alike, pulley that gives and extra couple lbs of boost that sounds like it helps wake these TRD SC kits up. Is this just a simple pulley swap with nothing else needed or is there more to it than simply swapping the pulley????

If I'm missing something, please, feel free to straighten me out.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

Also, nice forum you all have here.

MGM Tacoma 12-23-2012 04:46 PM

congratson the new truck, im interested as well i plan on get th supercharger later but i wanted to get some miles on mine first.

Nicky Lam 12-23-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B11 (Post 6170897)
I have a 2013 Tacoma TRD Off Road pkg. w/V6 w/auto that I purchased yesterday and part of my "deal" was I buy the TRD SC and they install it no additional charge to me.

Who has the best price on these TRD superchargers? From the little bit of digging I've already done the price seems to be alllllll over the map.

Do you all think the motor needs to be broke in and get a few miles on it before I have the SC installed and if so about how many miles is enough???

Other than having to use premium fuel and poor fuel economy when I've got my foot in it does the TRD SC cause any serious or major problems in the future? I completely understand I can/could have premature wear issues in the drivetrain if I spend a lot of time rodding the piss out of it.

I've read URD has a smaller, stock look alike, pulley that gives and extra couple lbs of boost that sounds like it helps wake these TRD SC kits up. Is this just a simple pulley swap with nothing else needed or is there more to it than simply swapping the pulley????

have a 13 i bought almost 2 months ago, done my research, and.. to my knowledge. you're going to have to wait. i dont know the exact details, but something on the intake with the new 13's?

im sure someone on here with more knowledge will chime in on here soon.

the extra 4 grand you were going to spend on a SC, you can save and wait, or... drop it on new suspension and wheel/tires... thats what i did. :goingcrazy:

TeamSarcasm 12-23-2012 04:58 PM

Does "part of the deal" mean THEY sell you a super charger and install it or you can get one form anywhere you want and they instal it regardless?

Mikehole 12-23-2012 05:27 PM

I was under the impression that dealers are unable to finance the SC with the purchase of the Taco. (think I read that on the TRD website)
That being said, I bought mine on Ebay from a highly rated seller for about $3700, and then had it installed at City Toyota in Daly City for $700.
I think they screwed up in giving me that price, it took them 3 days to get it done. I can't complain about the installation.
The increase in power wasn't what I had been hoping for (I wanted more lower end torque, coming from a v8 Tundra), but it is stupid fast when you get on the gas. (above 3000RPM)
Mine's only a 2012, so I haven't come across any wearing issues, yet.

B11 12-23-2012 06:30 PM

What happened was I agreed on their price of $12k difference on my trade in but only if they installed a TRD SC kit, that I'll supply or purchase from them, for free. Now, I'm certainly aware NOTHING is for free so I'm quite positive I'm paying for that install somehow... :)

WOODEX M.E. 01-14-2013 04:27 PM

Yeah, I have been calling them (TRD) and waiting patiently for months now looking for the date that the supercharger comes out. My best guess is May of this year as it was last years release. And yes the TRD website says you can not add that into the cost of the vehicle, but I asked the dealer anyways and they let me do it. Now I have the most awesome IOU ever, sitting in my glove box. Its ok tho, because I am still learning the truck and the supercharger would just spin the tires all the time on the ice anyways.

ToyotaTacoma4Ever 02-12-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B11 (Post 6170897)

-Prices will varry ALOT from a dealership and from buying it online, you can get a better deal online from what ive seen lol

-the S/C hasnt been released for your model yet so you dont have to worry about that lol im sure it wouldnt hurt the engine anyways. Economy can be close to stock with a light foot (good luck when you get the S/C LOL)

-Everything wears down overtime, you'll see trucks that have 150 000 KM+ (93000 mile roughly) and still running strong lol

-Smaller pulley is an awesome upgrade, and yes all you do literally swap out the S/C pulley (your limited on how small you can go though because of the reflash)

spithead051 02-12-2013 02:40 AM

TRD is still working on the fit-kit for the 2013 Tacoma, as someone else said. It will probably be out around May as that seems to be when they release them.

Prices will vary TRDParts4U is where I ordered mine and I got it for $3500 shipped. If you find it somewhere cheap and they don't include shipping, add about $100 for that as the S/C with fit kit is ~90lbs shipped.

Even if you wait the 1000 miles the manufacturer recommends for engine break-in you'll still want to wait about 100 miles after installing the S/C to really get on it as you want to make sure all of the seals and gaskets settle before being put under stress and you also give time to allow any minor issues to be fixed.

The URD pulley is a great add-on but you need a special tool that I believe they sell. If you are concerned about warranty I would avoid it as it seems that most dealers have an eye for that when people come in for warranty work.

The engine may wear quicker than a non-boosted setup but if you go over to the XRunner forums there are guys that have been beating the hell out of their boosted engines and are over 200k miles with no problems so I wouldn't be too concerned.

I installed my S/C myself and have had it for over a year now. If you have any more questions about it feel free to PM me.

B3AS7808 02-16-2013 06:16 AM

dealer contacted me yesterday and said the ECU reflash is out for the 2013 tacomas and my supercharger will be in next week.

liguy 02-20-2013 09:00 PM

2013 supercharger

hey BA...
did the S/C come in? how'd the install go?
(I'm still haggling with the dealership over how much of a thief they want to be on the order form! lol!)

pjs42 02-26-2013 04:35 AM

Supercharger

What kind of mileage are you getting vs no charger at all ?

WOODEX M.E. 02-26-2013 03:12 PM

2013 Suprercharger installed!!!!!

Lord Helmet 02-26-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOODEX M.E. (Post 6504498)
2013 Suprercharger installed!!!!!

Pics and video or it didn't happen :D

WOODEX M.E. 02-27-2013 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet (Post 6506411)
Pics and video or it didn't happen :D

This is all I have. Its snowing like a bastard out so I can't even experience the power. I also have a vid but I have never uploaded one. Ill wait till i can have a good one. As soon as i touch the gas it spins so not much to see yet.

FMF 02-27-2013 05:32 PM

Nice! Cant wait to get mine!

My68ur8trd 02-27-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikehole (Post 6171913)
I think they screwed up in giving me that price, it took them 3 days to get it done. I can't complain about the installation.

They did not screw up. it is a 6 hour book job and 3 days is nuts...

I took 8 hours our my first install, and had it down to about 4.5 by the 4th.

I took 6 to do mine with the APR X-1 install as well.

Great little unit though

Justin

Lord Helmet 02-28-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOODEX M.E. (Post 6510046)
This is all I have. Its snowing like a bastard out so I can't even experience the power. I also have a vid but I have never uploaded one. Ill wait till i can have a good one. As soon as i touch the gas it spins so not much to see yet.

That's purity :D If it makes you feel any better it was 77 degrees today with plenty of sun. I had to turn on the AC on the way home :D

Nicky Lam 02-28-2013 06:58 PM

Trdparts4u has it listed for the 2013's !! I need to save, I dropped my SC fund on full ome 3", dakars, 90000 shocks, uca, 17's and 33's :/

truck only has 4k on the odo, it can wait

WOODEX M.E. 03-01-2013 02:40 PM

Videos are of day before supercharger installation and then the day after installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWzzc8kgSuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIe2Kamwg9c