1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Next step, chip. Which chip?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by diver john, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    diver john

diver john [OP] Member

Member:
    Gloucester MA
    Vehicle:
    03 DBL cab TRD
    Volant intake, JBA headers,1st, cat MIA, Gigson cat back, Sprayed Bedliner, Eclipse6620, Sunroof, Toyo open countries, Full OME suspension, ARB front bumper, CBI off road rear bumper, yakima racks
    I finally got around to putting a catback in. So the exhaust now runs JBA headers, Missing front cat, and a Gibson stainless exhaust. On the in bound side I've got a volant CAI. The question is what whose does the best job on either re-mapping the ecu or piggybacking it to take advantage of the mods I've made so far. I was leaning towards a uni-chip. or going all out and doing somthing like an E-manage from Greddy, but there again I'd like to use a proven map and not screw around with it myself. I hear alot about the URD MAF calibrator, but I think there is more to creating a better map than tricking the MAF. I've also tried to do this smart not cheap so I'm ignoring all the $14.99 chips on E-bay. Any ideas?

2. Feb 19, 2009 at 7:00 AM
    Toyota_hic

Toyota_hic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    07 offroad red tacoma SR5 ac./cab
    westin bull bar, tube steps, BFG MT, silver ceramic coated JBA shortys, tru dual flowmaster 40series with magnaflow tips, 77series K&N intake, allpine head unit, 10" type R sub, 500w/4 amp
    ive been looking at chips as well...cant decide myself these are what ive kinnda been looking at though.
    APR
    URD maf
    unichip

3. Feb 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    APR X-1. It is the best performance calibrator available for the 1GR motor.

After that, the Map ECU 2 or URD Maf cal. If you check out Jaxchrisfla's recent dyno, he gained 12hp/32tq by switching from the URD MAF cal (tuned) to the APR X-1. Dyno proven.

4. Feb 19, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    cpforyou

cpforyou Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner
    Anything out there with a tune possibly optimized for mpg and possibly lower octane?

Products Discussed in

To Top