1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hestitation Issue - 2011 Tacoma w/TRD Supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by snowman72, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Apr 28, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    snowman72

snowman72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 supercharged double cab
    BDS lift, Fox coil over, TRD supercharger with URD pulley, TRD Catback, TRD cold air intake, leer Topper 100xq, Toyo 35tires, 18 Fuel Mavericks, Rigid Radiance pod, Rigid rock light, Rigid 10” in scope, Royalty Core grill, Magnum front/rear bumper with step rails
    I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma with the TRD Supercharger, TRD cold air intake and the TRD Catback. It was running fine and all of the sudden it starting to hestiate and feels like it about to stall when I drive it. I took it to the dealership and the codes show miss firing. The dealer is stuck and does not seem to know how to fix the problem. Orginally they though the issue was a result of bad gas. Any suggestions?

2. Apr 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    limp mode

could be a ton of different things. I had the same issues and it never went away until i got tuned.

Try cleaning off the MAF sensor

3. Apr 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Subbed for outcome...............not cool

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    scottg918514

scottg918514 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC, TRD 6-spd Manual, 4wd
    Which cylinder? Take plug then coil from that cylinder and swap to another. Does misfire move? If so, you found issue.

5. Apr 28, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    thebottomline

thebottomline Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    how many miles on it? I have a very similar setup although your complaint has been seen in all sorts of different vehicle configurations...

6. Apr 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    snowman72

snowman72 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 4x4 supercharged double cab
    BDS lift, Fox coil over, TRD supercharger with URD pulley, TRD Catback, TRD cold air intake, leer Topper 100xq, Toyo 35tires, 18 Fuel Mavericks, Rigid Radiance pod, Rigid rock light, Rigid 10” in scope, Royalty Core grill, Magnum front/rear bumper with step rails
    Thank you all for the input and feedback. The MAF sensor has been checked several times. The missfire is not consistent to one cyllinder, when plugged to the computer the missfire jumps around. The truck has 42k miles, of which 35k with the current set up. This issue started at around 39k miles.

Thanks again!

7. Apr 30, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Do you have any bad vacuum leaks? Check the pcv hose on the driver side valve cover.

Honestly, I doubt that is the cause since you aren't getting a lean or rich CEL, but it is worth a shot.

Does it continuously misfire, or sporadically?

Do you have any pictures of the engine bay? If so, the more angles you have the better.

8. Apr 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    the TRD CAI is NOT compatible with the TRD SC!
    this has been listed all over TRD website, at the dealership and a few other places.
    the reason is because the diameter of the CAI is slightly larger than it should be, there the MAF reads less air flowing to the engine than is actually flowing. the ECU is not programmable so you cannot adjust the MAF. you might try talking to gadget because i think they have a MAF controller that may solve your problem.

i spoke to TRD recently about this on my truck and they told me another customer recently destroyed his engine because it ran lean due to the CAI. if you run the CAI without the SC it works just fine because in a N/A configuration the airflow is not as critical.

9. Apr 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Leave it to the customer who know more than the mechanics because we're dedicated :laugh: good info to know!

10. Apr 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Do you have the 1st gen or second gen TRD intake?

The reason that the 1st gen wasn't "compatible" is because it wasn't 50state legal. It removed the carbo filter. By all means, that one made by aFe, is compatible.

The 2nd gen is as well but was poorly designed. Like bass mentioned, it creates all sorts of MAF turbulence. There is a fix for it. Needless to say, K&N did a hack job on its construction.

AFe still makes their version of the TRD gen 1 intake. A worthy investment.

11. Apr 30, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    scottg918514

scottg918514 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC, TRD 6-spd Manual, 4wd
    Since is random:

Check Engine Light On, P0300 Random Misfire Code

A random misfire means your engine is misfiring, but that the problem is not isolated to one or two cylinders. It is jumping around in a random way from one cylinder to another. A random misfire code usually means the air/fuel mixture is running lean. But the cause might be anything from a hard-to-find vacuum leak to dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, a weak ignition coil, bad plug wires, or compression problems. Even a dirty MAF sensor can cause a lean code and/or misfire to occur. The engine may be stalling because it isn’t getting enough throttle opening. The cause is often a problem in the idle air control system. The first thing to check is the intake vacuum with a vacuum gauge. On most vehicles a normal reading is 17 to 21 inches Hg. If the needle is lower, is jumping up and down or steadily dropping, you have a vacuum problem. Look for possible vacuum leaks by checking vacuum hose connections, the throttle body and manifold, and PVC valve and plumbing. An EGR valve that is leaking can also act like a vacuum leak and cause a random misfire. The next thing you should check is the fuel pressure with a gauge. If it is not within specifications (refer to a service manual for specifics because fuel pressure is critical for proper engine performance), the problem may be a weak fuel pump, low voltage to the pump (check the relay and wiring), or obstructions in the fuel line (like a plugged filter). A bad fuel pressure relay can also leak pressure and prevent an otherwise good fuel pump from delivering full pressure to the injectors. Dirty injectors can also restrict fuel delivery and cause a lean fuel condition. Many regular grades of gasoline do not contain adequate levels of detergent to keep the injectors clean. Frequent short trip driving accelerates the buildup of injector deposits. Cleaning the injectors with a good quality fuel tank additive (or having them professionally cleaned) can solve this problem. Look at short term fuel trim (STFT) and long term fuel trim (LTFT) with your AutoTap Express DIY. If the numbers are high, it tells you the engine is running lean.

12. Apr 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

As usual, I gotta agreed with Mr Toespeed :p

The afe stage2 Si has not caused any errors here yet, and rlly complimented the lil black compressor box well. Thank god I can't hear the insane racket the intake used to make n/a

13. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    What's the fuel trim levels? If the long term fuel trim is high you have a vacum leak. If short trim fuel is high you might have a bad coil, bad spark plug, etc. Lots of scenarios for you

14. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff

i had a bad vacuum leak and the only codes i was gettin was the p0300-p0306 and then p0021,p0022,p0011,p0012. seemed to be different every time it threw a code. found out it was my catch can i had installed was leaking. cut the hose and reconnected and it was all fine

15. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    o_O :spy:

16. May 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    thebottomline

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport
    This is absolutely not true and can be seen by the many users with this setup. I speak only for the 2011 tacoma as that is the only specific one I researched. They are compatible, according to TRD and the dealership, but require a minor modification. The air intake has an extension piece close to the throttle body that has to be trimmed.
    TRD says generically they are not compatible because in testing some engines can run lean, but the vast majority do not. It is done for legal reasons, but warranty is not void having both installed. This is based on numerous calls to TRD and multiple dealerships.

17. May 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    so you say, but when i asked the dealer for the cost to install along with the TRD SC i was told at the parts counter, it is not compatible, told by the service advisor it was not compatible. was no satisfied with the answers i got from either of those answers from those sources so talked directly with TRD 2x on the phone with TRD and inquired with them due to the fact their website also states not compatible.
    just for a simple answer of WHY? its a TRD part and it will fit as expected so whats the deal. they said they will not warranty engine failure as a result of the TRD CAI installed
    gadget also confirmed not compatible and was the only person who gave me an actual reason. the inside diameter of the intake is too large and will cause the truck to run excessively lean.
    made perfect sense to me! i guess we have to wait for yours to blow up before you'll believe anyone either. thats cool...

are you running a wideband AFR? how do you know yours isn't running lean? i installed one on mine and with the stock airbox it runs almost dead on 14.7:1 AFR i would be willing to test an intake but i am not going to blow 400 bucks to see it runs lean as a result.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  18. May 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Bottomline, its not compatible.

19. May 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    thebottomline

Member:
    Pac NW
    Vehicle:
    11 sport

Yes I am running a wideband AFR and I can say with certainty I am not running lean. That said, I wouldn't buy the aftermarket pulley due to the risk of pushing it lean.

I will not come online and argue something gadget may have said. I am telling you TRD and 2 different dealerships said they will work and installed it, plus I can also confirm I am not running lean. That is why I have a hard time with you telling everyone they are not compatible, when on mine (and several other TW members) they clearly are compatible with a minor modification.

The dealership did say that if in fact there were any problems, the CAI would have to come off, instead of simply trying to "fix" the issue. That is why I referred to the legality of saying they aren't compatible. I have yet to read any posts of someone that this happened to.
    Modification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMpeTdseMU

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  20. May 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Hmmm. So how is it that I had a friend who had an '09 with it. Then after council, decided to swap it to the AFe?

Either way. 2009-'11 are the same.

14.7 AFR at idle and cruising is correct.

Usually with the reflash, at WOT, the AFR will be mid 10's to 11's. They always make it extra fat to stay on the safe side. The reflash can easily handle the 2.85 pulley with ease and still be safe. As long as the fuel pump was upgraded.

Products Discussed in

To Top