Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   which magnaflow muffler? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/277112-magnaflow-muffler.html)

jpatzig101 05-09-2013 08:15 AM

which magnaflow muffler?
 
Hello, I have 2010 dcsb trd sport. Looking to buy only a magnaflow muffler and "drop it in" where stock muffler is. I will attempt to do the install myself with either clamps or welding. I only have a stick welder...it might get ugly. My question is, which muffler (possibly model number?) or size should I be looking at to get the easiest install? Possibly without having to bend or extend any piping. And trying to find the correct offset of inlet and outlet. Thank you.

colby8100 05-09-2013 09:30 AM

just measure your stock one and get one similar I don't know what your looking for but finding one exact isn't going to be easy. Just take it to a shop tell them if you want it loud let them do it and be done. Welding exaught with a stick isn't easy and making sure there are no leaks and without a lift your probably going to get frustrated and end up paying someone to redo it

Justus 05-09-2013 01:27 PM

Clamps are not the best at sealing......I suggest welding.

Yes I tried the clamps that came with my catback, and they sucked. I had leaks at 2 of 3 clamp points.

Now its welded and im good to go

tooter 05-09-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpatzig101 (Post 6864310)
Hello, I have 2010 dcsb trd sport. Looking to buy only a magnaflow muffler and "drop it in" where stock muffler is. I will attempt to do the install myself with either clamps or welding. I only have a stick welder...it might get ugly. My question is, which muffler (possibly model number?) or size should I be looking at to get the easiest install? Possibly without having to bend or extend any piping. And trying to find the correct offset of inlet and outlet. Thank you.

I did the same... :)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...pse94bb243.jpg

...but had a muffler shop do it for me. It only cost $45.

First, take an exact measurement of your exhaust pipe diameter. Your TRD Sport likely uses larger pipe.

My stock 2.7 exhaust was about 2 3/8 so the 18" 2.25" diameter offset Magnaflow muffler (#11265) I got off ebay did not slip over the pipes. It was a simple job for the muffler guy, because he had a hydraulic expander which opened up each end in about a second or two to slip over the existing pipes.

I also discovered that the 2.25" Magnaflow was exactly the same as the 2.5" except the entrance and exit tubes were swedged down to 2.25".

So if I were going to do it myself, I'd get the 18 inch Magnaflow offset(#11256) with 2.5" inlet and outlet... IF that will slip over the diameter of your exhaust pipes.

jpatzig101 05-09-2013 03:59 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Got the Magnaflow 12586 off ebay. It's 22 in, but I'm looking to make sure it isn't too noisy in the cab when cruising. I'll get it welded professionally.

tooter 05-09-2013 06:17 PM

The 22" ought to be really mellow. :)
Even the" 18 is reasonably quiet.

runner05 05-09-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpatzig101 (Post 6866301)
Thanks for the input guys. Got the Magnaflow 12586 off ebay. It's 22 in, but I'm looking to make sure it isn't too noisy in the cab when cruising. I'll get it welded professionally.

Nice. Please tell us your opinion about the Magnaflow 12586. I'm thinking of installing a new muffler but don't know yet what to get.

jpatzig101 05-10-2013 03:35 PM

Ya i decided to go with the 22" after seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syftuWjG2hw

I bought the same muffler as this guy has, just different finish on outside of muffler. And I know this guy has the urd intake which puts out more sound, but I think the 22" will still have plenty of sound when I punch it. I'll try to get some video clips up next week when I get it installed

Lurkin 05-13-2013 07:23 AM

I put the 12286 on mine, and it has more sound then I was expecting given the size. To me it sounds a bit ricey just off idle, and I get a sound peak right around 2200rpm, not quite a drone, but a sound peak, then from 2500 on it has a reasonably nice sound to it (it's a v6....).

jpatzig101 05-14-2013 05:36 PM

Welp, tooter you were right. The 12586 is VERY mellow. It is definitely a step up from stock...but really not much extra sound. Highway cruising, I can't hear it all, not even a little. Step on the gas and it has some added low end sound, but that's about it. The muffler shop welded it on for $35. It literally took 5 minutes. The shop said I could sell them the 12586 and they could put on an 18" or smaller magnaflow. Think I may end up doing that.

tooter 05-21-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpatzig101 (Post 6889095)
Welp, tooter you were right. The 12586 is VERY mellow. It is definitely a step up from stock...but really not much extra sound. Highway cruising, I can't hear it all, not even a little. Step on the gas and it has some added low end sound, but that's about it. The muffler shop welded it on for $35. It literally took 5 minutes. The shop said I could sell them the 12586 and they could put on an 18" or smaller magnaflow. Think I may end up doing that.

I'd advise keeping the quieter 22" a while longer before you decide to ditch it for a louder one...

After about a week, the sound of the 18" got on my nerves and I put the stock muffler back on again.

rbeezy 05-21-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooter (Post 6919263)
I'd advise keeping the quieter 22" a while longer before you decide to ditch it for a louder one...

After about a week, the sound of the 18" got on my nerves and I put the stock muffler back on again.

I came from driving loud v8's, so the 18" is really quiet IMO. Still makes a slight rumble tho

NateW 09-07-2013 05:29 AM

I have 14 inch magnapack and I love it


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:23 AM.