1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want the 2013 TRD hood scoop functional!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by P33Rob, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    P33Rob

P33Rob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma V6 TRD 4X4
    OME 3" Lift; Maxfit aeromax; Volant CAI w/scoop; TRD Exhaust; Step rails; SCS stealth 6 wheels; Bedrug
    I have had a few vehicles with functional hood scoops IE Subaru wrx sti. I am a firm believer that it reduces under the hood temps, and with my volant CAI that is located 3 in above the engine absorbing heat from the plastic pipe on longer trips. I fully understand that the gains are minimal and that if it rains you may get a couple of water spots under the hood. There is a thread on here that I followed to the T. ... However I noticed my model 2013 even when removed from the hood the fake screen could not be removed from the scoop without cutting. What do you think should I put it under the knife!

2. May 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    leave it. air wont get into it and into the engin bay at all really. it’s in a low pressure zone.

it’s not made to be functional like some other. If it was not in a low pressure zone it would work.

on another note you could cut it out, like some have done, and just let the hot air rise out of it. some guys that off road A LOT have done it to help keep engine temps down, since they get hot when moving slow for so long.

3. May 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    P33Rob

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma V6 TRD 4X4
    OME 3" Lift; Maxfit aeromax; Volant CAI w/scoop; TRD Exhaust; Step rails; SCS stealth 6 wheels; Bedrug
    Thanks for the reply my intent is not to allow air flow, in but heat soak out. However I think if its motion heat may not be able to rise out that much, as it would in a hood cowl near the windshield like drag racing cars. But like I said if there was a way for hot air to move away from that air intake pipe.

-Rob

4. May 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah. idk much about it, and can’t really look since i don’t have a scoop.

but from what i have seen from the guys that off road and took it out. they just took/cut the plastic out. I don’t know how it would look though.

5. May 29, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    I'm thinking about doing the same as OP. Of course I've read here (TW) about the low pressure area and how it probably won't do much but make my engine more dirty.

Having to cut I think I will just order the black insert part and hack that up, run it for a couple months and then make my decision. I want to get my gauges setup first to read intake temps and whatnot to see if it really makes a difference.

If trail riding or sitting in summer traffic it helps keep things a little cooler it may be worth it to me.

My only thoughts are if escaping heat would damage the hood paint, but I highly doubt it unless flames are coming out...then I have more problems.

6. May 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    P33Rob

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma V6 TRD 4X4
    Yeah I have noticed there is no flame retardant liner under the hood like in most vehicles, but I doubt it will cause the paint to chip off sooner. I agree with the cutting thing though cause the walk through on here shows you can just remove the black plastic piece and replace with mesh on these new ones some how, it is in there and not coming out so I got frustrated and just put it back to the way it was.

7. May 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    colby8100

colby8100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colby
    South carolin
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 1jz lowered
    Lowered,leather interior,system,1jz swap,rims,painted bumpers mirrors ect
    It won't damage the paint there are 100s of cars that don't come with them. But cutting the hood could cause problems.

8. May 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    I believe you had to permanently modify the insert by using a dremel tool or such to cut the openings. It may be more work than its worth but if I were going to I'd do it on a backup part first...It's not on my urgent to do list, maybe at some point.

This may be the part here...item 7...not too expensive if you f it up. As long as it's the non painted parts.

http://tps.toyotaofdallas.com/parts...teid=214074&vehicleid=1502962&diagram=8512082

Edit: I took my scoop off yesterday. Don't see how it could be made functional like previous model years before 2012 without some serious modification.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  9. May 10, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    ArmyDog

ArmyDog Truck 901

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 white Tacoma DCSB TRD PRE-RUNNER 226,000 miles
    Bilstien 5100's Fuel 18" Hostage wheels leather seat covers
    How about if you drill vent holes, that way you still get more air flow but less water or dirt

Products Discussed in

To Top