1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone running a smaller pulley on a SC'd 1GR motor?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bass mechanic, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Mar 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    i havnt got the SC yet and i know that installing a smaller pulley will void my warranty on the SC. but i live at 6500 feet. im wondering how much additional boost i would get and what kind of HP gains i might expect.
    also how hard is it to remove and reinstall the stock pulley so that if i need to take it in they won't void my warranty?
    see by running the smaller pulley the truck will think its just running a little closer to sea level as far as power goes.

2. Mar 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Removing the stock pulley isn't hard. You must use a pulley puller to get it off anyway. The URD pulley is a one time use only. If you try to take it off it will get damaged because its made of aluminum which is soft.

3. Mar 30, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    bass mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none

will the stock one get dammaged if you remove it? how many pounds of boost did u get and what kind of additional hp did you get?

4. Mar 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    I didn't change my pulley. Stock one comes off with no damage, but people who have changed the pulley get about 2psi more which is roughly 30-40hp.

5. Mar 31, 2009 at 7:32 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
  6. Mar 31, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    bass mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none
    sorry gadget, APR is comming out with some pulleys in a coluple weeks that arent made of aluminum and look like they are stock so i can keep my warranty or at least avoid questions about my warranty. their smaller pulleys even have the factory part number printed on them and say 3.0 so unless someone got out a micrometer and measured it they look just like a stock pulley. i think ill go that route.

7. Apr 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bass,let me know how you make out with the smaller pulley.:)
    Yes,keeping warranty is important.My TRD SC was just replaced under warranty.Seems these units aren't bulletproof as some may think.
    The truck is at the dealer now.

8. Apr 1, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    bass mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none
    also FYI i talked to allan personally and he said that he is good friends with the guy who owns magnison. i am told the guts of the 4.0L SC are the same as is used in the tundra SC. that this unit has held up to 21,000 rpm with no problems. in stock form the sc isnt even breaking a sweat, in fact he said running a 2.5" pulley and with the APR X1 raising the rev limit to 6200 RPM the SC would be turning 16,200 rpm, well within safety limits
    he did say that if you go into this territory you definitly need fuel mods. he also said they have seen better than 450 hp with this setup.

i dont plan to go that nuts however i think either the 2.85 pulley ot 2.7 pulley will be fine for me, i need to talk to allan again and see if ill need fuel upgrades with that setup considering i live at 6500 feet ASL

9. Apr 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm not going to change the pulley but am interested on how your change will work.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top