1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Upgrades Needed after Installing a Supercharger?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by perogie2328, May 30, 2009.

1. May 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    perogie2328

perogie2328 [OP] Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Acess Cab V6 4X4 TRD + Tow Pack
    Toyota Skid Plate, Command Start, k&n cold air intake, magnaflow catback exhaust, Revtek 3" lift, HID conversion kit
    I want to install a Trd supercharger on my 4L v6, but does anyone know if i would have to upgrade my clutch? Will i have Transmission Problems? will my stock drive train handle the extra power?

2. May 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    I'm still running the stock clutch on my xrunner. With lots of extra power over just the TRD blower.

You should be fine, but a small note, the OEM clutch is a hit or miss. Some work well, others will blow out on an N/A vehicle.

If it blows out (not wear out), it is most likely a catastrophic failure, and you can have that replaced under warranty

3. May 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If you want to you can do TONS of stuff...but like XR said- you can get away with the stock equipment.

4. May 31, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    Marazzito

Marazzito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Exhaust, AFE Cold Air Intake, URD Short Shifter, OME 886 HD Lift OME Rear Springs With XL... TRD Supercharger Coming Soon.
    There are two different clutches for the Tacoma. Some are sourced from a German company and others from a Chinese company. If you get a truck with a German clutch, it will fail. The Chinese clutches are much better and shifting is significantly smoother. My truck came with a German sourced clutch, started showing the early signs and my dealer swapped it out for the Chinese sourced clutch. My truck shifts much better and the clutch engagement is way better.

5. May 31, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Is there a way to tell which clutch installed? Part number? Manf Label? anything like that?

Do you have any other info about those (comp name, etc)?

6. May 31, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Marazzito

Marazzito Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Exhaust, AFE Cold Air Intake, URD Short Shifter, OME 886 HD Lift OME Rear Springs With XL... TRD Supercharger Coming Soon.

I honestly don't know, but when I brought my truck to my service department with the first signs he new exactly what it was and explained the difference between the German sourced and Chinese sourced clutches. He was able to confirm that I had a German clutch but I am not sure how, maybe VIN, maybe when he pulled my tranny and looked at it. When he ordered the Chinese clutch it was on back order (show's how much of a problem it is). He also said this is one of the most known problems with the 6-speed Tacoma's.

On a side note, I brought it to another dealership before and they were clueless and greased my u-joints (which did nothing).

Products Discussed in

To Top