Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   Borla VS Magnaflow Catbacks (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/40945-borla-vs-magnaflow-catbacks.html)

dysfunctnlretard 06-13-2009 08:39 PM

Borla VS Magnaflow Catbacks

I'm trying to decide on which system I want and have been listening to countless videos but havent really been able to differentiate the sounds between the two. Is there a real difference?

Also, cheapest place to find each one of them?

Sorry, wasnt meant to be a poll.

brian 06-14-2009 04:33 AM

Borla sounds better to me... plus I don't think Magnaflow makes catbacks for DC long beds.

Honestly, for the price I'm just gonna buy a universal Magnaflow for my rig and keep the stock piping. Sounds like all these cat-backs are giving you the same size piping, just a new muffler anyways.

jandrews 06-14-2009 11:28 AM

First of all, be careful with sound clips on the web - most of them do a very poor job of capturing the lower ranges, meaning they all sound ricier than they really are in person.

That said, I do find the sound of Borla to be genuinely ricey, and would go with a Magnaflow any day when picking between the two.

commtrd 06-14-2009 03:03 PM

I don't know if borla is better or not but I really like the magnaflow in my truck. Good enough for me.

DanGer 06-14-2009 03:06 PM

:lalala::frusty:

Riceman 06-14-2009 04:34 PM

Borla is more expensive. Both are the same stainless steel casing with steel wool packing. Magnaflow comes in several different sizes and shape, the larger the quieter. Borla doesn't have as many options.

dysfunctnlretard 06-14-2009 07:17 PM

Would the magnaflow muffler sound the same as the whole cat-back system?

Riceman 06-23-2009 05:31 PM

Unless you just have money to blow, don't get the catback, just the muffler. Then have an exhaust shop either put it in the place of the stocker, or fab up a catback. Will probably save you at least $100.

Phantom_X-SP 06-23-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandrews (Post 685299)
That said, I do find the sound of Borla to be genuinely ricey, and would go with a Magnaflow any day when picking between the two.

Ricey? Are you serious? (I would like to know how something sounds "ricey" btw)

Anyways, back to the OP. I would suggest you find some local people who have the two systems and listen to them yourself. You're going to get various answers here since everyone has a different taste for sound. I've had the Borla cat back on my truck from day 1 and love it. It sounds awesome IMO. Just remember...you get what you pay for.

06BLUEDBLSPORT 06-23-2009 06:58 PM

I have a Borla and i love the sound. My brother has a magnaflow on his 02 tacoma and to me both sound great but theres something about the sound of the Borla that makes it sounds awesome but its hard to explain

jandrews 06-23-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom_X-SP (Post 709012)
Ricey? Are you serious? (I would like to know how something sounds "ricey" btw)

More buzz, less rumble, than other options I have heard. If you like it, power to you. It's not my preference, but we're not talking about my truck either.

In any event I agree - the OP needs to listen to his options IN PERSON, because recording devices and environments tend to do a very poor job of capturing the actual sound of these exhaust systems. I have not once heard an online sound clip of an exhaust system that sounded comparable to the same configuration in real life.

Phantom_X-SP 06-23-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandrews (Post 709133)
More buzz, less rumble, than other options I have heard.

The point is there is no definition of "ricey" in the reference that you are using it. Its a vague term that everyone analyzes differently. You probably should have used "raspy" or something of the sort. I'm not picking or anything...just hate when that word is used loosely.

and no...the Borla exhaust is not raspy :p

jandrews 06-23-2009 08:05 PM

If you like it, that's all that matters.

roxspin72 07-09-2009 04:07 PM

I love my Borla set up:

But, in the future I will be changing to Magnaflow for a dual exhaust option... Nothing against Borla, just cheaper to do with a univeral Magnaflow single inlet/dual out...

And no Borla is niether Raspy, nor Ricey. The term ricey belongs to 4 bangers with large tin cans mounted on the rear that add like say:rolleyes:
100hp LOL:D

wildjerseyfirefighter 07-09-2009 04:42 PM

i have a borla on my truck and its not loud enough for me at all. Almost sounds stock.

roxspin72 07-09-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter (Post 751812)
i have a borla on my truck and its not loud enough for me at all. Almost sounds stock.

Some DTLT Headers will wake that baby up:D

See post #30

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-thread-2.html

But after awhile I decided to make it quiet again LOL...

wildjerseyfirefighter 07-09-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxspin72 (Post 752510)
Some DTLT Headers will wake that baby up:D

See post #30

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-thread-2.html

But after awhile I decided to make it quiet again LOL...

im not geting involved in headers after 130K of living next to the ocean:eek:

and by listening to those clips, my trucks already louder then that. But its still not loud enough for me.

roxspin72 07-09-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter (Post 752550)
im not geting involved in headers after 130K of living next to the ocean:eek:

Ouch, yeah great point... ...Im from Hawaii, I know what that salt air can do

Viet2100 07-09-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandrews (Post 685299)
First of all, be careful with sound clips on the web - most of them do a very poor job of capturing the lower ranges, meaning they all sound ricier than they really are in person.

LMFAO :laugh:

IndigoTaco 07-10-2009 04:52 PM

I'm w/ this guy. What size Magnaflow would be similar to stock at idle and cruising, with no drone in cab? Looking for the ballsy growl when I get it up around 3000 rpms.