1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cold air intake newbie

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by kona2chris, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Dec 11, 2007 at 10:30 AM
    kona2chris

kona2chris [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 Tacoma Doublecab SR5
    FX Pro Wheels (Dark Gunmetal Grey Gloss) Falken WildPeak AT AT3W 265/70R17 OME 2" Lift kit Kenwood DNR1007XR - 10.1" GPS / Multimedia W/backup Camera Remote starter and CompuStar alarm Baja Design Squadron Sport Fog Pocket Light Kit (Wide cornering) Leer canopy Bedrug Thule Roof Kayak Racks Thule Swing away bike rack Engine 2.0 installed at 270k
    Hey there, I am new to the Tacoma World and certainly to the Modification area, but I am seriosly considering a Cold Air Intake and was wondering if there is a huge difference in the performance of them. I notice a lot of people mention the K&N version which seems to be about $250, but there are others out there for as low as $90. Is there a big difference in the brand names or is K&N the most expensive for a reason. If anyone has an alternative for less I would appreciate that

Thanks

2. Dec 11, 2007 at 2:35 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    different people will say different things about cai's!! heres what i can tell you. i have an airaid intake on my 06 prerunner(got it on ebay for $215.....been a good while now however, they have gone up about $15 since then) and i like it. good sound, and maybe a bit of performance(breathes better at higher rpms). its just my opinion, but i dont think you will really see a big difference just from an intake....maybe "seat of your pants dyno":D, but a major difference,probably not really.......just because the really start working at higher rpms. alot of people dont like the k&n because of oil on the maf sensor issues, which is basically due to over oiling the filter media. i can probably say that the k&n isnt the most expensive however. there is the urd tcai(which is probably gonna be the one of the better intakes you can get). you can also do as alot of folks have done, and go with the k&n setup, but use an aem dryflow filter....so you dont have to worry about overoiling the filter. hope this helps.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    My URD is great, although they are not for everybody.

4. Dec 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    k&n's are amazing. but damn whatever is selling for 90 bucks is a big NO.
    go with a k&n 63 series.. make sure its the air charger. that intake is bomb

5. Dec 17, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    A1CGuches

A1CGuches Oregon Alliance: Founder

Member:
    DMAFB, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Custom snorkel/intake, 6" lift, 35X12.5 mt's, flowmaster 40 seriers, performance clutch, custom skid plate, grille, everything is black on green, rotrex supercharger, 7th injector kit, urd short throw shifter, thorely header, kks speed limit defender...and more to come
    Well i went a different route when i started doing my intake system because i wanted to incorperate both cool air and a snorkel....after research and trial and error i found that volant is the most expensive and best performing so far.
    http://www.volant.com/idetail.asp?ID=104
    After installing i took a few different ideas from my buddies at TTORA and mad it the least restrictive as possible and allowing me to keep both my cool air and my snorkel. By far VOLANT is the best adn as far as i can see the most expensive

6. Jan 9, 2008 at 10:09 PM
    98yota

98yota Mean Green Machine

Member:
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle:
    4WD Timberland Mica taco
    CAI, gutted cat, bed cover.
    well i got my option racing CAI off of ebay for 50 bucks and it was in perfect shape. i could tell a lil difference in performance, but i def. got better gas mileage though :D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Feb 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM
    SophT

SophT New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 OffRoad
    Well I'm a CAI noobie too. I have a (seemingly) simple question: Why would a cold air intake be louder than a stock intake.

I know on a fan the higher the rpm the more cfm it can move and therefore the louder it will be, but it seems the cai is just more surface area causing a higher cfm throughput. So what's causing it to be louder.

Also, how much louder are we talking about (compared to stock)?

8. Feb 4, 2008 at 7:40 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    K&N is a good amount louder. It's a great deep tune to it, makes it sound more like a Corvette, nothing like a rice rocket. I'm talking about the 63 Series Air Charger btw.

9. Feb 8, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    Toyota_hic

Toyota_hic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    07 offroad red tacoma SR5 ac./cab
    westin bull bar, tube steps, BFG MT, silver ceramic coated JBA shortys, tru dual flowmaster 40series with magnaflow tips, 77series K&N intake, allpine head unit, 10" type R sub, 500w/4 amp
    ok i had kinda a dumb question....does it matter wut kind of intake u have if u get a MAF Sensor Calibrator, or do u have to get the URD intake with it?

10. Feb 8, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    As long as theres a place to mount the sensor on the intake, which most have, its fine. Make sure the screws on the MAFS line up with the tubing on the intake so it all works out.

11. Feb 8, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    1killerkaw

1killerkaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver DC LB SR5 4x4 Tow Pkg.
    Pop-N-Lock, AFE OE Replacement Pro Dry S, 20% tint all the way around, 6000k Bi-Xenon HIDs, 3" Dynomax super turbo muffler, ATC LED Limited campershell, Bedrug, Suspension TSB.
    Just get the URD Preset MAF sensor calibrator and leave your intake alone.

12. Feb 10, 2008 at 6:30 PM
    Toyota_hic

Toyota_hic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Vehicle:
    07 offroad red tacoma SR5 ac./cab
    westin bull bar, tube steps, BFG MT, silver ceramic coated JBA shortys, tru dual flowmaster 40series with magnaflow tips, 77series K&N intake, allpine head unit, 10" type R sub, 500w/4 amp
    well wut i was going to do is get a new K&N intake, but i plan on putting headers and a new exhaust on in the future, so i wanted to get the MAF so that i could ajust the air and fuel ratio...would it just be esier to get the URD intake or would the K&N work just as well...????

13. Feb 11, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    MaGuyver

MaGuyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Sport, Cement
    Tinted glass, Bed mat, Rigid light bar, Bakflip FiberMax tonneau, Bull bar, LED cabin lights, Bed lights.
    I like my True Flow XDI

14. Feb 12, 2008 at 1:47 PM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    AFE dry filter system FTW!!! i say nay to any oil filters unless you want to mess up your maf sensor

15. Feb 12, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    The URD intake would most likely produce more power than the K&N setup, but installation is also more complex

16. Feb 20, 2008 at 12:14 AM
    vivafire

vivafire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston,Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Add N-Fab side steps-debaged,cat-back exhaust from MagnaFlow and a Stage 2 intake system from AFE

? on the URD filter how do you clean it . I been wanting to get one but I don't see on their web site how you clean it.:confused:

17. Feb 20, 2008 at 2:05 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear

The service life of AMSOIL Air Filters can be extended indefinitely when the following instructions are performed. For normal driving conditions, service AMSOIL Air Filters every 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.

1. Remove air filter from air filter housing.
    2. Wipe housing free of dirt and debris.
    3. Carefully remove polyurethane foam from metal cage of AMSOIL Air Filter (Note: foam is not removable on planar-style filters).
    4. Wash polyurethane foam in detergent and water or in parts cleaning solution. Rinse in clean water and allow foam to dry completely.
    5. Apply AMSOIL Foam Filter Oil liberally on polyurethane foam. Squeeze foam repeatedly until oil penetrates its entire thickness. (AMSOIL Foam Filter Oil is specifically formulated for AMSOIL Air Filters and is designed to trap and hold dirt effectively, even in temperature extremes.)
    6. Blot excess oil from polyurethane foam and reinstall foam on metal cage.
    7. Reinstall AMSOIL Air Filter into air filter housing. Be sure the label is attached to the outside of the filter housing.

18. Feb 21, 2008 at 2:38 AM
    vivafire

vivafire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Galveston,Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Add N-Fab side steps-debaged,cat-back exhaust from MagnaFlow and a Stage 2 intake system from AFE
    Thanks Isocoee for the link and the tip!

19. Feb 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM
    HarborWhaler

HarborWhaler Member

Member:
    Is the Toyota TRD Cold Air Intake a dry filter system? Or do you have to oil the filter during cleaning? Thanks.

20. Feb 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    HarborWhaler

HarborWhaler Member

Member:
    I also see the the warning about Warranty Void issues. Isn't the TRD cold air intake system a Toyota part?? Why would you have a Warranty problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top