Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   TRD cat back exhaust (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/77938-trd-cat-back-exhaust.html)

tmbrwlf730 02-28-2010 01:20 AM

TRD cat back exhaust
 
hi everyone, this is my first thread so i'm excited to slowly move my way into your community. my question is about the TRD cat back exhaust. Right now my '06 Tacoma DBL Cab, Long bed is all stock. I wanted to do an exhaust upgrade but i'm not sure exhaust sytem to pick. I want a deeper sound than what i have right now. I found a website that sells the TRD exhaust for my long bed for $432 after you add shipping. Does anyone know how the TRD compares to other systems, and which ones do you recomment? Thank you all for your time.

ToucanV13 02-28-2010 01:37 AM

TRD is quieter than most but still has a nice tone at idle and WOT but not a whole lot of cabin noise. Checkout www.trdparts4u.com
IIRC you can get it cheaper

BradleyJ33 02-28-2010 09:04 AM

Check out ShopTRD.com. DC longbed catback for $368 shipped. :cool:

fletch aka 02-28-2010 09:16 AM

Welcome to TW :woot:

I have it and really like it. For me it was a wee bit louder in the cab then what I wanted so I added a resonator in front of the TRD muffler. The TRD sound is a mellow performance sound. Not Ricey at all.

dtrch_bb 02-28-2010 09:33 PM

After a lot of research I just purchased and installed the TRD cat exhaust. I love it, not to loud but definitely enough to get attention. A couple days later I installed a K&N 63 series intake. The exhaust alone is awesome ,top it off with the 63 series K&N intake and I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased. This is on my '08 4ltr. dbl cab

eschonle 03-01-2010 01:24 PM

@ dtrch: so the K&N adds a little note to the TRD exhaust?

tacomunchkin 04-01-2011 09:21 AM

I noticed a distinct difference in my truck after going from just the trd cat back with standard intake to having the trd cai put in. I thought after the intake, it sounded a bit richer in tone.

Digger2 04-02-2011 06:53 AM

Not to get to off topic here, but did any of you guys find an increase in MPG when towing or just driving around?? I want a nice sounding exhaust and will probably get the TRD, as I don't want the annoying drone in the cab some of other exhausts do from what I understand.

Canadian144 04-02-2011 09:10 AM

We got the TRD exhaust on our Taco when we bought it.... still haven't picked it up yet though.

When we do though, I'll make a nice exhaust video. I didn't think any of the ones I saw on youtube were helpful in evaluating the sound of the exhaust.

Digger2, I was looking to buy an exhaust from the US, found one cheap on TRDparts4u, but they said they couldn't ship the exhaust to Canada (just too large). Didn't see any for sale on Kijiji either. You're pretty much stuck paying the dealer price, or driving down to the US and bringing it back. Once you bring it across the border, you'll have to pay taxes.... plus factor in the cost of gas... just didn't seem worth it to me. I was looking to just buy the exhaust from the dealer and install it myself, but they said if you do that then you don't get any warranty on it.

Digger2 04-02-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian144 (Post 2967570)
We got the TRD exhaust on our Taco when we bought it.... still haven't picked it up yet though.

When we do though, I'll make a nice exhaust video. I didn't think any of the ones I saw on youtube were helpful in evaluating the sound of the exhaust.

Digger2, I was looking to buy an exhaust from the US, found one cheap on TRDparts4u, but they said they couldn't ship the exhaust to Canada (just too large). Didn't see any for sale on Kijiji either. You're pretty much stuck paying the dealer price, or driving down to the US and bringing it back. Once you bring it across the border, you'll have to pay taxes.... plus factor in the cost of gas... just didn't seem worth it to me. I was looking to just buy the exhaust from the dealer and install it myself, but they said if you do that then you don't get any warranty on it.

Thanks for the info Canafdian144, I have a source that may be able to get it from the states but we'll have to see. Please do post a video of the exhaust when you get it done as the ones online aren't the best. Thanks...

thebottomline 04-02-2011 10:34 AM

This may need a separate thread, but 90 percent of the Canadian population is on the US border.
Simply call the nearest toyota dealership in the states, and say you have 380 dollars to spend on the exhaust. The parts manager will make it happen. Then drive down, install it in the nearest parking lot....and ditch the old one.

It is that simple. I am going to actually post some pics of the install because it was easy to do in a couple hours total.

Then the boys at customs won't be able to charge you duty.

Canadian144 04-02-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebottomline (Post 2967779)
This may need a separate thread, but 90 percent of the Canadian population is on the US border.
Simply call the nearest toyota dealership in the states, and say you have 380 dollars to spend on the exhaust. The parts manager will make it happen. Then drive down, install it in the nearest parking lot....and ditch the old one.

It is that simple. I am going to actually post some pics of the install because it was easy to do in a couple hours total.

Then the boys at customs won't be able to charge you duty.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal (if you don't say anything to them about installing them new one). I have a vague recollection of guys from the Toronto Subaru Club going down to Buffalo to get their Subies tuned, and having to come back and pay tax on the ENTIRE value of the vehicle, not just the parts/work done. It is really dumb.... in reality you can probably get away with not telling them, but you never know. I'd say to take a look around some Canadian Customs webpages and see if you can dig anything up, if anyone was interested in doing this.

I'll for sure get that video up though.

thebottomline 04-03-2011 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian144 (Post 2968717)
I'm pretty sure that's illegal (if you don't say anything to them about installing them new one). I have a vague recollection of guys from the Toronto Subaru Club going down to Buffalo to get their Subies tuned, and having to come back and pay tax on the ENTIRE value of the vehicle, not just the parts/work done. It is really dumb.... in reality you can probably get away with not telling them, but you never know. I'd say to take a look around some Canadian Customs webpages and see if you can dig anything up, if anyone was interested in doing this.

I'll for sure get that video up though.

It is impossible for customs to prove. What you are talking about is importing a new vehicle or one radically altered on visual appearance. I am only talking about swapping out an exhaust. They don't inspect your vehicle before you go across the border.
Anyone that feels guilty about that can just look at their tax bill, or in places like BC, look at how the government taxes the gas tax and the natural gas tax with HST on top of that. It will make you feel l less guilty.

thebottomline 04-03-2011 07:03 AM

Also people get 400 bucks exemption for 48hrs, if you are going down for the weekend.

Irish020 04-09-2011 04:20 PM

I just finished putting a Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Stainless dual exhaust on my '05 Taco! Easy install! Sounds and runs great...bought on the Internet new for $477 including shipping!!!! 2 hours work in the driveway with removal of the old and install of the new!

Love it!

oledragoon 04-14-2011 05:29 PM

TRD CAI, and exhaust are the way to go.
 
Both the TRD CAI and the cat back exhaust were designed to be used together. I have 201155 miles on mine, and they provide a sweet sound, pleasant at low speed, and rippin' under hard acceleration. Fuel mileage improves also, if you keep yer foot outa the gas.

EVErsionDesigns 07-30-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oledragoon (Post 3032445)
Both the TRD CAI and the cat back exhaust were designed to be used together. I have 201155 miles on mine, and they provide a sweet sound, pleasant at low speed, and rippin' under hard acceleration. Fuel mileage improves also, if you keep yer foot outa the gas.

What sucks is that it sounds so good to get exhaust put on your truck that you want to keep your foot in the gas lol

SPORT55 10-24-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fletch aka (Post 1482830)
Welcome to TW :woot:

I have it and really like it. For me it was a wee bit louder in the cab then what I wanted so I added a resonator in front of the TRD muffler. The TRD sound is a mellow performance sound. Not Ricey at all.

Hey man i gotta question, What kinda of resonator and size did you put on in front of the TRD muffler? I put mine on today and love the sound but also feel it's a little loud in the cabin,I wouldn't call it annoying drone but its a little buzzy between 1500 to 3000 rpm range.
Also do you feel adding that resonator killed the nice tone of the TRD and made it sound more like stock again, cause then I wouldn't be into the resonator idea...
Any insight you could give me into this I would really appreciate it, Thanks!!!:)

SPORT55 10-27-2011 11:31 AM

[

Drove the Tacoma around now qwite a bit and love the TRD exhaust, has absolutely NO drone and that buzzing I was complaining of earlier doesn't seem to be there anymore after a few hundred miles.. Overall very very happy with it. Not that Fletch AkA answered me anyways about the resonator, but not interested in that anymore anyways...:)

coloradotacoma 10-27-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digger2 (Post 2967354)
Not to get to off topic here, but did any of you guys find an increase in MPG when towing or just driving around?? I want a nice sounding exhaust and will probably get the TRD, as I don't want the annoying drone in the cab some of other exhausts do from what I understand.

I have a TRD on my 2011 and have been showing 2-3 MPG increase in fuel efficency since installing the exhaust during regular driving. It also has helped with power for towing and evens out the shifting as well. (Especially during towing) As far as MPG while towing I am not sure because I frequently tow different things which are of different weights so its not an apples to apples comparision


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 AM.