Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Performance and Tuning (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/)
-   -   Whats the best header?? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/83346-whats-best-header.html)

4ari trd 03-25-2010 10:07 PM

Whats the best header??
 
so im looking at the doug thorley long tube headers but they also have the shortie header and the tri-y header so which one is the better one? and where can i some at a good price.

steve o 77 03-25-2010 10:12 PM

Long tubes delete the front two cats and are not smog legal. They do yield more power than the short tubes. The short tubes do not delete the cats and are legal. Im not sure about the power gains with those.

XrunnIT 03-25-2010 10:25 PM

The best headers will be custom made full length headers. But with what's available.. the DTLT are the best for performance

memario1214 03-26-2010 10:24 AM

I would have some now, but I think that the DTLT headers are a piss poor design. I wish someone would come out with some legit headers for our trucks. I would pay the premium price for something that works really well...

XrunnIT 03-26-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memario1214 (Post 1585812)
I would have some now, but I think that the DTLT headers are a piss poor design. I wish someone would come out with some legit headers for our trucks. I would pay the premium price for something that works really well...

I agree 100%. And I'm currently looking into a solution for this fix. ;)

memario1214 03-26-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XrunnIT (Post 1586979)
I agree 100%. And I'm currently looking into a solution for this fix. ;)

I love you

Lentsnh 03-26-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memario1214 (Post 1587215)
I love you

:eek: Easy now.. :p

memario1214 03-26-2010 05:02 PM

In a brotherly kind of way... Don't get any crazy ideas now!

Lentsnh 03-26-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memario1214 (Post 1587312)
In a brotherly kind of way... Don't get any crazy ideas now!

:laugh: I know. I was just playin man :thumbsup:

TBAGRR 03-26-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memario1214 (Post 1585812)
I would have some now, but I think that the DTLT headers are a piss poor design. I wish someone would come out with some legit headers for our trucks. I would pay the premium price for something that works really well...

why would you say there a piss poor design? they fit very well and were easy to put on, and was the best mod i have done!

steve o 77 03-26-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBAGRR (Post 1587386)
why would you say there a piss poor design? they fit very well and were easy to put on, and was the best mod i have done!

I think he's talking about performance.

XrunnIT 03-26-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBAGRR (Post 1587386)
why would you say there a piss poor design? they fit very well and were easy to put on, and was the best mod i have done!

And that was their purpose, bolt-on. Something that will fit without any real modifications. Ignoring the fact that the design in terms of performance is horrible.

the problem? their performance is absolutely garbage compared to a set of tuned headers. The DTLT only provide a real power increase over a span 1200rpms (3000rpms to about 4200rpms). That's good for a daily driver who isn't looking for optimal performance. But for those of us who want the most out of our money... they are awful.

Look at the gains on their dyno... awful. A real set of headers will put a gain almost as large as the max gain, but over almost all the rpm range (depending on how you have them tuned).


http://dougthorleyheaders.com/ecom/i...5L_%282%29.jpg

TBAGRR 03-26-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve o 77 (Post 1587415)
I think he's talking about performance.

Well not many easy bolt on parts make you feel power gains, but i most deff felt a huge diff, i have the stock exhaust also so it wasnt any louder. I would recommend them to everyone with the v6

steve o 77 03-26-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBAGRR (Post 1587495)
Well not many easy bolt on parts make you feel power gains, but i most deff felt a huge diff, i have the stock exhaust also so it wasnt any louder. I would recommend them to everyone with the v6

Yeah, are definitely high quality. I think I will go with the TRD headers for my first gen this summer.

TBAGRR 03-26-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XrunnIT (Post 1587446)
And that was their purpose, bolt-on. Something that will fit without any real modifications. Ignoring the fact that the design in terms of performance is horrible.

the problem? their performance is absolutely garbage compared to a set of tuned headers. The DTLT only provide a real power increase over a span 1200rpms (3000rpms to about 4200rpms). That's good for a daily driver who isn't looking for optimal performance. But for those of us who want the most out of our money... they are awful.

Look at the gains on their dyno... awful. A real set of headers will put a gain almost as large as the max gain, but over almost all the rpm range (depending on how you have them tuned).


http://dougthorleyheaders.com/ecom/i...5L_%282%29.jpg

I agree with you. However like you said there the best for your money for now with whats out there, if you spend big money getting a equal length correct tube sized header you can get something great, but off the shelf i think these r great!!!! Maybe b/c i dont go under 2500rpm for much other than 1st gear :cool:

XrunnIT 03-26-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBAGRR (Post 1587587)
I agree with you. However like you said there the best for your money for now with whats out there, if you spend big money getting a equal length correct tube sized header you can get something great, but off the shelf i think these r great!!!! Maybe b/c i dont go under 2500rpm for much other than 1st gear :cool:

They serve their purpose, that is true.

And from DT point of view, they were cheap to make, and sell like hot-cakes, because of the fact that most people aren't looking to build race cars out of a pickup truck. So the opted to go with ease of installation over performance.

So on their end, its a win. For most daily drivers, its a win. But for performance junkies like myself and others... blah! :laugh: I hate them.

revhappyleon 03-26-2010 08:01 PM

what about the shorties, they're a lot cheaper and it ocurred to me to just weld on some straight pipe instead of the cats.

XrunnIT 03-26-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by revhappyleon (Post 1587896)
what about the shorties, they're a lot cheaper and it ocurred to me to just weld on some straight pipe instead of the cats.

you could do that. Your performance curve will still be similar to the long tubes, as you'll only be getting a good gain during a small window.

header tuning/performance comes from the length and diameter of the primary tubes, as well as the length and outlet diameter of the collector.

Neither the shorties or the DTLT come anywhere close to being tuned for performance. They are designed to be a bolt-on mod that is affordable, and will satisfy the vast majority of the targeted audience.

kris219 04-03-2010 09:10 PM

on the subject of doug thorleys. wouldnt getting rid of your o2 sensor and substituting it for a simulator be a bad thing for your air/fuel ratio? because your computer can no longer adjust the amount of fuel being used if your running lean or rich.

XrunnIT 04-03-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris219 (Post 1617204)
on the subject of doug thorleys. wouldnt getting rid of your o2 sensor and substituting it for a simulator be a bad thing for your air/fuel ratio? because your computer can no longer adjust the amount of fuel being used if your running lean or rich.

The o2 sim is used for the rear oxygen sensor that monitors the health of the cats. This is not to be mistaken with the A/F sensor (located before the cats).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:12 AM.