LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Pets

Notices

Dogs on or off lead.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
There are a lot of people that are afraid of or just plain don't like dogs it is the owners job to respect that. I have 2 Great Danes and 80 acres of land they run free and people that come to visit have to deal with that after all it is their home. I have no fear of them causing harm. That being said beyond that it is my responsibility to control them in whatever means it takes once we encroach in others space. It is all about respect for others and dogs know nothing about that.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
There are a lot of people that are afraid of or just plain don't like dogs it is the owners job to respect that. I have 2 Great Danes and 80 acres of land they run free and people that come to visit have to deal with that after all it is their home. I have no fear of them causing harm. That being said beyond that it is my responsibility to control them in whatever means it takes once we encroach in others space. It is all about respect for others and dogs know nothing about that.

my Jack-Russel Terrier, Benni, thinks she's hot shit, that the block belongs to her, and she does not hesitate to show it. she's challenged every single dog in my 'hood, big and small dont matter to her (and any other animal, small child, anything with wheels other than cars/trucks, adults jogging, bouncing a ball, etc)

needless to say "B-Tard", as i nicknamed her, is on a lead w/ a harness in public. she's the smartest dog i've ever owned easily, but instinct has nothing to do with intelligence...

Benni in her tattered flannel, my lil punk rock pup never backs down from a fight, thats why im a responcible owner and use a lead
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #23
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
I think its been covered here already but my dogs are on a lead when we go for a walk or somewhere in public. But in the backyard they are off the lead but I also use e-collars with them and have used them on occasion to teach them when I so No it mean it. I havnt actually pushed the button on he remote for a long long time but its a good reminder for them. I have a moderate sized back yard and the neighbors dont mind if the dogs wander into their yards just the same as I dont mind if there dogs wander through my yard.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
I think that it depends on the situation. I have my 15 month old GSP e collar trained so well, that we only go for off lead walks now, but I remain in control with the collar (though I rarely have to use it). To those that argue that I can't control the other dogs, that is true, but I know my dog, and can anticipate the presence of another dog, and call my dog back to me before a situation arises to grab his collar for ultimate control if necessary. Usually I just have him heel, sit and stay while we watch the other dog and owner walk by while the other dog is frantically pulling, barking, etc. and it's owner is making excuses like "he just doesn't like other dogs" when really they just aren't socialized or trained correctly. His daily off lead walks are part of his hunting training. I need him to trust me, and listen to every command, including "woah", which if I'm paying attention , will keep him out of harms way.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
It depends where you are at..

Public park ,in town , etc - yes

Open fields out in the country and places where there are no hazards -no

My dog is better off leash the on. Just beacause we spend more time in the open places.
I agree with this. My dog is better off leash than on. Fenced in bike path with walkway or closed in area where I can see if anyone else is coming, I let her off. We've had a better response to commands/training when she is off leash but if I ever suspect a situation where she could get into a precarious situation she goes on leash or waits by my side until its ok to run around again.

But I do agree that anything that happens to her is my responsibility. She is a rescue and she loves to run around when she gets the chance. It is a risk I am willing to take when I feel the situation is safe.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
TexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by megillet View Post
I think that it depends on the situation. I have my 15 month old GSP e collar trained so well, that we only go for off lead walks now, but I remain in control with the collar (though I rarely have to use it). To those that argue that I can't control the other dogs, that is true, but I know my dog, and can anticipate the presence of another dog, and call my dog back to me before a situation arises to grab his collar for ultimate control if necessary. Usually I just have him heel, sit and stay while we watch the other dog and owner walk by while the other dog is frantically pulling, barking, etc. and it's owner is making excuses like "he just doesn't like other dogs" when really they just aren't socialized or trained correctly. His daily off lead walks are part of his hunting training. I need him to trust me, and listen to every command, including "woah", which if I'm paying attention , will keep him out of harms way.
Same here except for walks, we go to the dog park to train lots of distractions she has to Lear to ignore. She's so smart though it doesn't take her long to figure it out.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
There are a lot of people that are afraid of or just plain don't like dogs it is the owners job to respect that.
This.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Our GSD is on leash if we are in public at all times. The only time he's off leash is at the Dog Park and on our property. The 2 acres of property that we own is his territory that he makes sure is secure....that's his job after all.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #29
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
My lab holds his own leash and my pointers leash. Walks right beside me. that's only when I'm around my house. I live in down town Denver. When I'm hiking or back country skiing my lab does his own thing. Just runs next to me.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
DikDikerson is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
DikDikerson's Tacoma Gallery
We have a rescued Husky / GS / Coyote mix. When she was a pup she was great off leash, would come back every time we called. Then she got attacked by a Shiba Inu and turned into a wuss. When she gets scared of something she starts running and just won't stop so we always have a leash on her if were not in the back yard. The last time she got loose it took over an hour for her to tire out before we could catch her. Turns out I get tired way before she does.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
nomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to beholdnomad_archer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DikDikerson View Post
Then she got attacked by a Shiba Inu
Thats a shame and is something the should never happen. Then again i bet the shiba ran the house as well. Most people should never own a shiba especially if they dont have experience with stubborn dogs. I should know I have one but I am the boss and she listens. But it took awhile to convince her of that. They are great dogs but people dont realize they are cute but also hunting dogs.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #32
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
My penny is incredible, she can be chasing ducks through a field, and if I yell, she stops and comes right back, it's rare that she is on a leash.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just sick of all these people that live in my town where they tie up their dogs outside even when it gets -10 degrees out and never even play with them. Just a couple weeks ago we lost 3 puppies in a structure fire cause they kept them locked up in a kennel outside next to the house, they had no chance to escape.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
DikDikerson is on a distinguished road
Name: Devon
DikDikerson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Thats a shame and is something the should never happen. Then again i bet the shiba ran the house as well. Most people should never own a shiba especially if they dont have experience with stubborn dogs. I should know I have one but I am the boss and she listens. But it took awhile to convince her of that. They are great dogs but people dont realize they are cute but also hunting dogs.
You're right, we now know the owners a little better now because they live near us and the shiba does run the house. As usual it not the dog or the breed it's the owner.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DikDikerson View Post
You're right, we now know the owners a little better now because they live near us and the shiba does run the house. As usual it not the dog or the breed it's the owner.
Your are correct on that. But most people dont do their homework about the breed before they buy one and dont give the dog the time it deserves.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #36
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Your are correct on that. But most people dont do their homework about the breed before they buy one and dont give the dog the time it deserves.
I would venture that most owners do not realize the effort it takes to care for a dog. Any dog.

You don't just keep it outside with food and water.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #37
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
Yes! It kills me that cat owners seem to think their animals can "take care of themselves". Anytime I hear a cat owner concerned that their cat didn't come home, a have to bite my tongue and not say, "Well, if you kept your cat in the house and didn't just open the door to let them out for the day, this wouldn't have happened. Good luck explaining this to your 6 year old child!!"
True but I lived next door to a lady that had this huge black fluffy cat. Once a week he'd be I. The street walking home with a bird, squirrel, or chipmunk after a hunt. One day no shit I was outside and he tried to take down a wild turkey! You didn't mess with Zoro. But yeah no matter how well trained keep em inside and on a leash. We woke up to a dog crying one night. He fell in our pool. Poor guy was exhausted.