1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dogs on or off lead.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by CantSitStill, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    I think that it depends on the situation. I have my 15 month old GSP e collar trained so well, that we only go for off lead walks now, but I remain in control with the collar (though I rarely have to use it). To those that argue that I can't control the other dogs, that is true, but I know my dog, and can anticipate the presence of another dog, and call my dog back to me before a situation arises to grab his collar for ultimate control if necessary. Usually I just have him heel, sit and stay while we watch the other dog and owner walk by while the other dog is frantically pulling, barking, etc. and it's owner is making excuses like "he just doesn't like other dogs" when really they just aren't socialized or trained correctly. His daily off lead walks are part of his hunting training. I need him to trust me, and listen to every command, including "woah", which if I'm paying attention , will keep him out of harms way.

2. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    I agree with this. My dog is better off leash than on. Fenced in bike path with walkway or closed in area where I can see if anyone else is coming, I let her off. We've had a better response to commands/training when she is off leash but if I ever suspect a situation where she could get into a precarious situation she goes on leash or waits by my side until its ok to run around again.

But I do agree that anything that happens to her is my responsibility. She is a rescue and she loves to run around when she gets the chance. It is a risk I am willing to take when I feel the situation is safe.

3. Jan 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Same here except for walks, we go to the dog park to train lots of distractions she has to Lear to ignore. She's so smart though it doesn't take her long to figure it out.

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    This.

5. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Our GSD is on leash if we are in public at all times. The only time he's off leash is at the Dog Park and on our property. The 2 acres of property that we own is his territory that he makes sure is secure....that's his job after all.

6. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    My lab holds his own leash and my pointers leash. Walks right beside me. :) that's only when I'm around my house. I live in down town Denver. When I'm hiking or back country skiing my lab does his own thing. Just runs next to me.

7. Jan 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    DikDikerson

DikDikerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    We have a rescued Husky / GS / Coyote mix. When she was a pup she was great off leash, would come back every time we called. Then she got attacked by a Shiba Inu and turned into a wuss. When she gets scared of something she starts running and just won't stop so we always have a leash on her if were not in the back yard. The last time she got loose it took over an hour for her to tire out before we could catch her. Turns out I get tired way before she does. :(

8. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    Thats a shame and is something the should never happen. Then again i bet the shiba ran the house as well. Most people should never own a shiba especially if they dont have experience with stubborn dogs. I should know I have one but I am the boss and she listens. But it took awhile to convince her of that. They are great dogs but people dont realize they are cute but also hunting dogs.

9. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    My penny is incredible, she can be chasing ducks through a field, and if I yell, she stops and comes right back, it's rare that she is on a leash.

10. Jan 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm just sick of all these people that live in my town where they tie up their dogs outside even when it gets -10 degrees out and never even play with them. Just a couple weeks ago we lost 3 puppies in a structure fire cause they kept them locked up in a kennel outside next to the house, they had no chance to escape.:mad:

11. Jan 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    DikDikerson

DikDikerson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    13' 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    You're right, we now know the owners a little better now because they live near us and the shiba does run the house. As usual it not the dog or the breed it's the owner.

12. Jan 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    Your are correct on that. But most people dont do their homework about the breed before they buy one and dont give the dog the time it deserves.

13. Jan 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    I would venture that most owners do not realize the effort it takes to care for a dog. Any dog.

You don't just keep it outside with food and water.

14. Jan 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    True but I lived next door to a lady that had this huge black fluffy cat. Once a week he'd be I. The street walking home with a bird, squirrel, or chipmunk after a hunt. One day no shit I was outside and he tried to take down a wild turkey! You didn't mess with Zoro. But yeah no matter how well trained keep em inside and on a leash. We woke up to a dog crying one night. He fell in our pool. Poor guy was exhausted.

15. Apr 17, 2014 at 11:18 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    I don't mind off leash dogs. Pretty common around here and not a big deal with proper training. There was a town I lived in that enforced a law stating pets must be on a leash in town so the old man hooked a leash to his lab and let it carry it around like so.
    [​IMG]

My parents dogs have only been leashed to take into the vet otherwise they just have an e collar. You only have to make the gesture of pushing a button or letting it make a warning beep and they will be right back at your feet.

16. Apr 18, 2014 at 5:29 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Nice, I have my pointer and lab e collar trained. I haven't needed an actual leash for a year now. I did it for hunting I just kept up with the training for everything else.

17. Feb 9, 2015 at 10:01 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    My beagle is always on a leash in public and in my yard. But never on a leash when out in the country. She is e-collar trained and I can call her back to me at anytime by sending a tone/beep to her collar. She knows what comes next if she ignores the tone, so I don't really ever have to shock her. Most of the time she comes right in to the call of my voice.

I even let my beagle run around off leash at night while we're primitive camping in a completely new area for the first time, and have no trouble recalling her or seeing where she is at in relation to us on my gps monitor. Don't know what I would do without my Garmin; It's great for piece of mind and being able to see exactly where the dog is at or how close to the nearest road at any time. I'd probably be to afraid to leave her run off leash in over half the situations I do without it.

18. Feb 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    The knuckle heads I have now, are only off leash in the back yard and occasionally on the way to the truck in the driveway. They do mind, as long as they don't see a cat or squirrel.

Old Shepard I had, only needed a leash for off property excursions. She was always loose in the front yard, when I was outside. As long as I saw the dog or people coming and told her "stay", she was good. Otherwise she'd bark and head in their direction, but would come back when called. At almost 100 pounds, she'd scare people just due to her size.

I don't like loose dogs either. I carry HALT and have sprayed many dogs that were coming at me and the girls. If I don't know the dog and he's loose, he gets a face full of halt.

19. Feb 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    My dog can be at a full sprint at a cat/squirrel and when I tell her to stop, she will. I usually have her off leash when we're running. I agree. Most people can't control their dogs. There are two dogs on my block that are annoying as shit. I hate dogs that bark at ppl and other dogs when ppl just walk by. Or when we're running, I usually see dogs walking their owners.

[​IMG]

20. Feb 9, 2015 at 5:25 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i don't even own a leash for my dog. he is well behaved and the rare time he gets distracted i give a quick call and he stops in his tracks. we live on a dead end street with a couple hundred acres of public forest right there. i got lucky with this guy, my last dog was not as interested in behaving this well. some dogs are good this way and some aren't. any issues with ppl or dogs i've had because the ppl are fucktards along with their fucktard dogs.

Products Discussed in

To Top