Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Pets

Notices

Dogs on or off lead.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Dogs on or off lead.

So, I am a firm believer in dogs always being on a leash unless they are in a securely fenced area. Even with great training, it is hard to overcome instinct if a cat or squirrel runs by. We are smarter than our dogs, and they depend on us to keep them safe and protected. I have seen and heard of too many lost, hurt and killed dogs who are allowed to run free.
Anyone else share this sentiment?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Walker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Leader, Charlie Company, 4/16th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Oh-so-many years ago...
Walker T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSitStill View Post
So, I am a firm believer in dogs always being on a leash unless they are in a securely fenced area...
You are responsible for your animals. If you let them run free, you are responsible for what happens to them.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 4-3 ADA BN Maintenance Control Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
My german shepherds will always be on-leash unless they are in the house or back yard which is fenced in.

Don't let me catch your dogs going after my dogs or family. I have stuff that bites harder.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
If you always have your dog tied or fenced in, when they get free they're gonna buck IMO Train em.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
T O Y O T A
mlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of lightmlittle is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 4-3 ADA BN Maintenance Control Officer
Name: Michael
mlittle's Tacoma Gallery
My dogs are trained. They get out the door every once in a while, but they always stay in the immediate area and come back. Unfortunately, it's the other dogs that concern me. I don't know them, so I don't know how they're trained.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Yup..I have 2 indoor cats now but I've had dogs.

It's not just what if they do something to another (which matters too of course) as it is I also don't want my dog getting hit by a car or something.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Glad to see support. Keep those animals safe, or don't get them.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
on a lead!!! i hate college students, because everyone thinks their dog is so well behaved they dont need to be on one. but if that dog hurts someone or gets hurt, it wouldn't have happened if their owner wasn't an asshole...
Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
BDS'd
RadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant futureRadTaco914 has a brilliant future

Name: NEIL
RadTaco914's Tacoma Gallery
Being a pitbull owner I always have my dog on a leash when out. Like stated before its for their own safety whether it be traffic, or other dogs..
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
on a lead!!! i hate college students, because everyone thinks their dog is so well behaved they dont need to be on one. but if that dog hurts someone or gets hurt, it wouldn't have happened if their owner wasn't an asshole...
Yes! It kills me that cat owners seem to think their animals can "take care of themselves". Anytime I hear a cat owner concerned that their cat didn't come home, a have to bite my tongue and not say, "Well, if you kept your cat in the house and didn't just open the door to let them out for the day, this wouldn't have happened. Good luck explaining this to your 6 year old child!!"
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I think it depends on the environment, the owner & to a degree the dog...

At home, unless they are out for an extended period and I'm not out with them, they are not leased or on a cable. When I run, if it's the trail on my property, they are not leased and run the loop with me. When I run the public cross country trails they are leased though only one at a time can go.

I live in a dog friendly area where you see dogs at the outdoor diners, dog parks, disc golf courses etc mine are leased whenever I am eating out or playing disc golf. We don't do dog parks as we have ample outside area at home. Mine also travel with me, on average 1,200 to 1,500 miles a month, they are leased until we reach a safe, controlled environment.

Mine are chipped which is nice if someone who cares finds them but otherwise worthless.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #12
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
It depends where you are at..

Public park ,in town , etc - yes

Open fields out in the country and places where there are no hazards -no

My dog is better off leash the on. Just beacause we spend more time in the open places.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Like the above said, it depends on the area. Anywhere near a road at all and it's on leash, I don't care how well trained your dog is, it is still an animal and doesn't full understand roads and cars. When I take my lab hiking in the state forest she stays on leash until we are well away from the parking area and then she can be let off.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Off most of the time for me, but that's how she's trained because that's how they hunt. If she's unsure about anything she looks to me for direction. I should also add i don't walk her at all. She goes to a daycare while I'm at work and only allowed in the front yard when I'm with her. We also go to the fenced in dog park regularly, so really not much exposure for her.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #15
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Dog park? Off leash. I don't go there often because too many people sit at the bench and have no clue what their dogs are up to.

I walk my dog along a public trail which has a leash requirement. There's a woman who walks a GSD along the same trail and a) claims her dog is "under control" off-lead. and b) is "completely friendly". Neither of these statements is true as we've walked by her with the dog on-leash and it barks & lunges. It bolts from her to chase squirrels as well. What she does risks access for all dogs and she runs the real risk of having her dog attack another.

There are very few places dogs can (legally) be off-leash. Aside from the dog parks, maybe two or three places. I wish there were more.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I think it completely depends on the dog and the area. If it's a public area with people around, then on leash (most places around here have leash laws mandating it anyways). I have seen dogs trained well enough to walk with their owner regardless of the surroundings though, takes a LOT of training for most dogs though, mine can't do that. If I'm in the open, or even on a lightly traveled public hiking trail, I let my dog off leash. He stays within 50 feet of me but likes to run into the woods and sniff things. I hold his collar if I see other people on the trail and he comes back to me when he's called.

In my opinion, if you can't control your dog, then you should keep him on a leash 100% of the time unless he's fenced in or far enough away from any other people/cars/etc so he can't do anything dumb.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
what pisses me off is college kids at my apartment with no leashes... not a single one of em use a fucking leash and about 5 of the 30 dogs there are pits. thankfully i've never had to fight a dog, but i have had to show my dominance to some intimidating mofos of a dog. there is nothing like the uncertainty of an unfamiliar large dog full sprint toward you. all i think to myself is: "be confident, assertive, and if you absolutely have to, you will kill this dog with your bare hands" i'm not kidding and i hate to have to think like that, because i'm a dog lover... just use a damn leash in public/populated areas please!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Sadly, most people are not realistic by what it means to be "in control" of their dogs. Leashed or otherwise. Riley has been attacked twice by dogs their owners could not control.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Sadly, most people are not realistic by what it means to be "in control" of their dogs. Leashed or otherwise. Riley has been attacked twice by dogs their owners could not control.
You are correct about that.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
what pisses me off is college kids at my apartment with no leashes... not a single one of em use a fucking leash and about 5 of the 30 dogs there are pits. thankfully i've never had to fight a dog, but i have had to show my dominance to some intimidating mofos of a dog. there is nothing like the uncertainty of an unfamiliar large dog full sprint toward you. all i think to myself is: "be confident, assertive, and if you absolutely have to, you will kill this dog with your bare hands" i'm not kidding and i hate to have to think like that, because i'm a dog lover... just use a damn leash in public/populated areas please!!
You are soo right. My ex's roommate in college just had to have a large dog, but once she got it she completely ignored it and locked it up in her bathroom everyday. Pissed me off to no end. I always let him out and played with him when I was over. That's why I waited till I grad. to get mine. As owners you have to be responsible and know what your getting into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Seen this happen way to many times. If dogs come after mine I just get in the between and do whatever needs to be done to keep them off her. I've had several owners mad at me but I could care less. What really gets under my skin is when you have dogs out of control and their owner just shouts at it as if all of sudden it will start listening to its owner.