1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's See Your Dogs!!

Discussion in 'Pets' started by TJOPILOT, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Mar 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    yea looks like a german to me. but who cares sounds like all the dog you could ever want. Plus she's super sweet looking.

2. Mar 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    tell he you need to get it so you can work with the dog to help protect you 2 better.

3. Mar 19, 2014 at 11:16 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    She has to long of hair to be 100% But a lady that comes in to the same feed store as us has a BM That is colored the exact same as her and built exactly the same. (Other then the hair)

Honestly i have no clue and don't really care Lol She is a good dog and thats what really matters to me.

On a 2nd note... I Love how your dog looks, Very intimidating colors... Its funny for me how many people are scared of mine (Luna) I am pretty sure she does not have a mean bone in her.. Still don't let kids around her without me having a hold of her though just in case

4. Mar 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM
    NW4RUNNER

NW4RUNNER Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4 runner trail
    I could certainly save up to buy some sweet shit for her. The problem is man, the dog is a total girl. She has never been aggressive. Very playful, wants to play fetch to a fault, swims, and loves playing hide and seek. Never aggressive. I try and wrestle and be slightly aggressive and she just wants to find a toy and wants me to chase her with it. I have read a few books on training and she learns quick, lots of play drive but the aggression is absent. I am ok with how she is though. I'd rather have a turd that wants to just play and cuddle. She does bark at strangers but thats about it.

key example:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Hahahaha be glad she doesn't have an ounce of aggression! That's a happy dog without a care in the world

This whole page is awesome

6. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:58 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    Sweet, does it help with pulling at all

7. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:03 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    I'd bet if someone was threatening your family she would protect you. They know when you are on edge, and I can just about guarantee she would do her best to put a hurting on someone trying to hurt you.

Our dog is the same way, he's a giant teddy bear. But I would not want to attempt to hurt us while he's around.

8. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:12 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah that really is a good thing! I think i told this a few times but oh well. back when i was in about 3rd grade i was bit pretty bad by a GSD on the leg. it was trained and the owners let it out side in a unfenced yard by it self and i was on the neighbors property(one of my best friends at the time) i had to get 8 stitches and the scar is kinda the shape of an L. I have never been a frade of any other dog in my life other than that one.

having none is At all better than being aggressive to everyone. one thing i would not mind is slight aggression to strangers. maybe just the first few times the dog is around someone new. if dog is like that i think there are pretty easy ways to limit the likely hood of something happening. 1, would be a muzzle restraint or some kind, 2 would be letting the person know the dog can be slightly aggressive to newer people, so they know to not try and approach the dog and to let the dog come to them and check them out first.

either way i think a lot of dogs or dog breeds may never have any aggression till someone tries to hurt it’s owner or family.

9. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Make pulling worse because its made for a load she can't feel any prrassure. She is not bad about pulling unless I am just letting her go where she wants. The point of this was for gear so was not a consern for me.

10. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    My gsd doesn't like new people. Takes a while to warm up to people. Only people rs cool with are my family, and a couple friends. He's a one person dog. I'm his master and he's unsure of other people.

It's like people from Florida saying they want snow. They want it, until they've got it. Once they have it they realize it's not as desirable as they thought. Gsd's have the second strongest bite of all dogs. You do NOT want him being aggressive unless it's commanded. It's not as easy as you think to control. I have a muzzle for him but I hate putting it on him. Then there's the worry of him getting it off.

Best dog ever and I love every squire inch of him and his personality. I just deal with his aggression. But it's not all fun and games!

11. Mar 20, 2014 at 7:57 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    my buddy had a GSD and did that class at pet smart. i went with.

one thing they taught us about pulling and how to stop it.

if you are walking and they start pulling STOP walking right a way. but as soon as the dog lets the leash go slack start walking again. but sometimes the will start pulling again after one step if so stop walking and don’t move. as soon as the dog lets the least go slack again start walking but stop again if they start pulling even after one step. May take a while before they start walking without pulling. i think they said try not to use treats, make the reward be starting to walk again. but a teat may help but try not to use it every time you start walking again.

one of the key things is don’t move your arm and let the leash go slack, let the dog move and let it go slack.

12. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    Dead on. Do not use treats though at all for this. The walk is the reward and they have to behave for it.

13. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:17 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff

Ya that's what the trainer had us do as well. Spent a lot of time in class with him. He does fine for a while, and knows exactly what you want you him to do and will do it, until he gets tired of that. Then he does what he wants. I'm sure if we spent more time with him he would be better, but part of it is Anatolians weren't bred to take orders. They were bred to be independent and name decisions with no guidance. Most of the time he's great, but sounds times he'll see random animal or something that looks interesting and you have to be on guard for that or he will pull your arm out of the socket.:rofl:

We have a halti Hanes that works really well, and a gentle leader(which he hates). Both work extremely well. But when I'm hiking with him it would be nice for him to be able to pack his own stuff. I've got one of the mountain Smith packs for him, and it's great. But he's not an of the leash dog, he's a wanderer.I want some sort of modular hardness system I can attach bags to when needed, but it's also a front cinch type attachment like a halti harness

14. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    TCprerunner

Member:
    My dog wonders off leash also. I just know for a fact if I call her she will come so its not a worry for me. She knows when I call she is going to far.

There are a lot of options for modular harnesses I just wanted one for carrying a load that had grab handles since 90% of the time she had this on she has no leash. Search signature K-9 I think they had some with a cinch hook up bit not sure

15. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    Case in point why you should always be paying attention while hiking: about 2 years ago I was out for a day hike with Chara. He had his pack on.
    A few miles in a bird landed a few feet away from us, Chara probably thought yumm, a nice snack... Unfortunately my foot happened by pure bad luck to be between two fairly large rocks. Doesn't take much for a 115lb dog to break an ankle

2012-03-27_20-37-46_180_c2071bfe7dd0ce597dda77eb05eb3614fa01ac4d.jpg

16. Mar 20, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    I like the handles on those too for helping him up/ over stuff. I know he's not aggressive, but around here people freak out when they see a big dog of leash coming towards them, even if it's just to say hi

17. Mar 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    TacoBully

TacoBully Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    RI
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 Access Cab
    Soon to be 11 yr old Bulldog, Matilda.

Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    77076_448918319561_5991092_n.jpg

18. Mar 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM
    NCTacoma

NCTacoma Rather be in the mtns

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    CLT, NC
    Vehicle:
    Sold- Searching for 1st gen
    The pups wanting to go camping.
    [​IMG]

Pop's new pup. He's a red heeler named Rex
    [​IMG]

19. Mar 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Ummmm YOU should have kept her INSIDE. Can't blame either of them :p

Congrats on the pups.

That's not a good thing. You need to take him out and expose him to LOTS of people so he gets used to them. An unsure dog can be dangerous in certain situations. Someone's child could be the victim of his uncertainty.

:laughing: cute pup

Love all the dog pics :eek: wish I could have more

20. Mar 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I can't bring him around loads of new people, because he will bite. There lies the problem. He's weird. When he was a puppy, he was cool with people. He didn't really care about people. Would mostly just ignore them, but was not shy. I socialized him a lot. He met a lot of people. Kept it up for his first 6 months. Then he started to be weird with people. He was never beaten or teased by anyone. I think he picked it up from my parents aggressive dog(ended up being put down for being agressive and biting a kid). And it got progressively worse until now when I can't introduce him to new people. Honestly I don't know how to begin fixing this. It's not as simple as just meeting people. He's a very smart dog. He can learn quickly. I haven't met anyone who can or is willing to work through this with the dog and I.

Products Discussed in

To Top