1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Catching cats

Discussion in 'Pets' started by hitmans.army, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Paintball gun worked well for me. Stings them but no damage other than a change of color.

2. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army [OP] Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Which would work best, the Ortho spray or the piss pellets? I think I've seen both types at Home Depot.

3. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    tylershane17

tylershane17 Back to Back World War Champions

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Northwest Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OFF ROAD DCSB
    Brushguard, Lift.
    Heck I didn't even know they made pellets. Idk they may be better than the spray

4. Aug 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Try the piss pellets. Seems like they would last longer.

5. Aug 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM
    hitmans.army

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I'll give it a shot if the trap doesn't work out. I'll try non lethal first, then escalate if necessary. Kinda wish my neighbor liked the taste of antifreeze.

6. Aug 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Lol yeah neighbors suck when they're inconsiderate. Good luck with the cats.

7. Aug 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM
    Ghost.

Ghost. TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    Hey hey hey, dont get cocky that opinion isnt a representation of the board :p

8. Aug 7, 2014 at 12:22 AM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    Maybe try getting some catnip and putting in trap?

Or just add some sugar to the antifreeze to sweeten it up. For the neighbor of coarse.

9. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:56 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    First off..cat lover here, they are my world.

That said, I don't let them outside for a few reasons.

I think you've got the right idea of catch and shelter. There are a lot of no-kill shelters that will adopt them out to good homes.

The idea of predator urine is a good one as well. I know they makesome repellants but I've only used them inside to keep them off certain items, can't speak to how the ones I used would work outdoors.

10. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:02 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I had the same problem as the OP when I first moved to where I live currently. My miniature daschund took care of that real quick. She killed several cats within the first week. Now the cats stay outside the fence even when she's in the house.

[​IMG]

11. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Good luck... been battling the neighbor and her 1000 strays for years. Ill say it... I HATE cats. Worthless creatures.

I have tried all sorts of stuff - Scents traps pepper. Animal control, city, ect are no help. Nothing beats one way to rid them. But for here; a catch and release 30 miles from its "crap box" is very satisfying. Especially after a terrifying trip rolling around in the back of a pickup. Neighbor always comments on the fence around my garden to keep the dog out... yea the dog :rolleyes: The new aussie has been keeping them at bay recently... he's faster :)

Just wait till they start spraying your vehicles and front door on the house. :infantry::fenforcer::quickdraw:

12. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    JackAttack

JackAttack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Grantville, PA
    Vehicle:
    Stock Blue TRD Sport
    Bacon grease soaked rag in a live trap gets them everytime.
    Means of disposal is up to you, show no mercy.

I am limited on the number of dogs I can keep without a kennel license. They all must be licensed, vaccinated and under control at all times. My neighbor can have as many unvacinated and unlicensed cats as they want They can also let them roam freely, harassing the song birds and other small mammals. Also, dont forget the sharting and pissing everywhere or them strolling around my kennels in the middle of the night causing the dogs to make a racket.

13. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    They make sprinklers that have motion sensors on them. A guy I work with was battling the same thing, put one of these sprinklers in the garden and the cat doesn't come around anymore.

14. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    I've got the reverse problem. I have no problem with dogs, but I much prefer inside cats.

I have a dick of a neighbor that refuses to just use a collar on his dog. The little turd keeps pulling the rope tied around his neck off and then hangs around my house because we have four inside cats. More than once that damn dog has woken me up banging on my windows trying to get inside. One day, we opened the windows (left the screens down) to let some fresh air in and that fucker plowed through the screen window and chased my cats around the house. Told the neighbor and he could've cared less.

Happened a second time, but I was in the room when it came in and got it out of the house before it could find any of them. I approached my neighbor about that time and told him the fucking dog busted my screen window. Again, he was completely apathetic and refused to help pay for it. I'm at a loss on what to do because I'm not going to shoot it or anything, but I do need it to stay out of my yard.

15. Aug 7, 2014 at 7:59 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I don't like shooting dogs either, but there comes a point, and that point would have been when it broke through and was chasing my animals around my house. Growing up around a few ranches, dog owners usually got one warning for chasing livestock. After that you got a dead dog dropped off on your porch.

16. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    hitmans.army

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    If you catch the dog on your property or especially in your house, call animal control and tell them the dog was trying to attack your animals and you are in fear for their lives. If it doesn't have tags on it, be sure not to tell them you know who the owner is. Or, kill it.
    But please, for all things sacred, don't put it in a garbage bag before you bury it. It sucks when someone does that and you find it when digging to install new water lines.

As far as the cats spraying my door or vehicles, I already told my neighbor that if that happened, I would sit on my roof every night and kill every cat (except the one cat that was around here before the problem started). My car and truck are where I draw the line. I get pissed off even when the cats walk across my hood.

Forgot to mention, we have a 4' fence around the yard. So, I know the cats dot just stroll through. They have to climb/jump it to get in.

17. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    That is just royally ignorant, especially where the dog did property damage that cost you money.

Check the leash laws in your area..MA is strict about it.

Re the $$ you spent, small claims court would be the way I'd go with that.

18. Aug 7, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    ABA180

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    For the record, my cats are 100% indoors. I never got any complaints about my outdoor cat I had when I was younger, but if I did damn sure I would have addressed it.

I also choose to keep them indoors because I live near a main road, plus we have coyotes in the area. That and they really do live a long time indoors. I lost 3 in the past 4 yrs at ages 18, 22, and 20.

19. Aug 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    wcp0611

wcp0611 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Rockvale, TN
    Vehicle:
    wcp0611@gmail.com
    Grey wire and keyless entry. I like stock.
    Same here. We actually bought our 5 acres out in a nice quiet not-quite-subdivision-yet so that my cats could be in and outside, whichever they pleased. But when we got there, we noticed a huge tomcat that pretty much rules our street. Then we saw a neighbors cat that got seriously effed fighting that one and I swore there is no way in hell my sweet cats are going to have to worry about that.

I mean, the dogs super sweet and I don't blame it for being a dog and acting like one. I blame my lousy neighbor. I even tried buying it a collar and the last time it go loose, I put it on him. I guess my neighbor didn't appreciate that. Next time I left for work, that dog was sitting on their front porch and didn't have the collar on anymore.

I hope our cats live a long time. They are pretty thin, except our orange one. When we feed them, he eats his super quick and either begs for more or usually steals their food. Doesn't help he's the physically larger of all of them. Woke up one morning and he's sitting at the end of our bed just looking at me. I guess he was cleaning himself, but I swear this pic totally defines him.

IMG_20140712_100709_6b342bd73cd29d0b09b2c7f3adb00a4947645811.jpg

20. Aug 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM
    BuddyS

BuddyS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 MT
    That really stinks. But remember the problem is the neighbor, not the cats... Poisoning the cats would be hugely cruel, not to mention hugely illegal, I'm sure. If you did that I bet the jerk of a neighbor could call the city on YOU, and in this case they'd probably do something.

Anyway, kudos to you for seeming to be above that kind of thing. I'd try the urine suggestions, sprinklers, a hose, etc to see if you can discourage them from coming into your garden. And keep letting the neighbors know that each cat you catch is going to the shelter. Maybe don't let them know it's no-kill -- let them think that each one you catch is facing a worse fate. Perhaps then they'll stop encouraging cats to come your way.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top