1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weimaraner: my next dog?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by hack4875, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    hack4875

hack4875 [OP] 1 of 377

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO Supercharged
    I have a question for all the TW dog lovers. I recently lost my Brittany Spaniel, who was my running partner. For my dogs, I tend to steer towards hunting dogs. Not because I hunt (I don't) but because they have excellent endurance. I run, bike and hike a lot. And I want a dog to keep up with me and enjoy the Colorado outdoors as much as I do.

My wife has had a Weimaraner on her list for a long time. She wants one because they are "cute". But after much research, they look like they will be a very good dog for me and my activities. I am 36, so I'm not running as much or as fast as I was 10-15 years ago, however I still am much more active than the average person and I feel I workout enough to tire out such an active breed as the Weim.

We have a 5 year old daughter in Kindergarten who is very gentle with pets. We are not having another child.

We have a fenced yard (approx. 1/5 acre). I would be bringing the dog with me to my office during the day, so the dog will not be left alone very often.

Now, to the question: My vote is to get an older dog (2yrs+) from the local Weim rescue. My wife disagrees, and worries about not knowing the dog's past and worries about the dog biting or being aggressive towards our daughter. So she wants a puppy.

Anyone have any thoughts on the breed? Anyone have hands on experience?

Rescue vs. puppy?

Since I am still in my grieving period, we are not making a decision for quite a while but I just want to have all my ducks in a row.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    Flowin

Flowin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Acworth, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OFF ROAD
    OME 3" lift, 265/75/16 KO2s, 35% tint
    I like them, but did you guys also consider a Vizsla...very similar, both lack the undercoat though (if it gets cold...they need a jacket)
    I had both rescue (1yr old) and puppy (10wks) and they both turned out great

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I'm a big advocate for rescues. I have 2 rescue dogs myself. One a German Shepherd mix and one a german pointer mix. Both were bought as puppies.

My wife is a marathon runner and is always training for a race. She takes the pointer when she can and it takes a lot to make him tired. Sport dogs have a ton of energy.

If you're going to run with him/her, that will be better than no exercise at all. As puppies they will seem tireless for the first few years.

I also think you could find a mature dog and be perfectly happy.

[​IMG]

4. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    Weimaraners, Vizslas and GSPs are very similar and would fit your needs/lifestyle very well from the sounds of it. All three very friendly, active, smart and easy to train. Weimaraners tend to be larger in size, where the othe two are 10-15 lbs smaller typically. Also weimaraners are a more aggressive breed (this is in reference only to three breeds) they are much more likely to defend themselves and owners where the other two make great watch dogs but will never attack. Keep in mind this is just generic talk and all dogs are different. As far as rescue vs puppy, most rescues of these breeds are dogs who can't hunt and who's owners have abandoned them, which shouldn't affect you as you don't plan to hunt. While going with a puppy allows you to look at the blood line and know what kind of dog your getting. Hope this helps.

5. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    My ex had one. Good dog, but she had to learn how to be a strong pack leader for the dog. I think more owners should learn those skills. Here's good info on them.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/weimaraner.htm

6. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:44 AM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    My aunt had a weimaraner for 9 years, and it was a nice dog, but was very nervous. (That could have been the owner influence or just a weirdo dog though) Another uncle of mine has britneys and they seem way smarter overall.
    I would personally go with a pup, often they can be rescues too because pregnant dog are often dropped at shelters.
    I would suggest a german shorthair ( my parents have one, had 2, and I have a mix) but they shot up in popularity so much in the last few years that some are being over bred. Mine goes running with me sometimes, but only for short runs hecause he has lung scaring that limits his endurance. My dads could run all day, but hunted non stop while doing so.

7. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    X2 all sporting dogs must be trained and the owner must establish command over the dog. These aren't dogs you get and then forget about.

8. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:55 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Never owned a Weimaraner myself but those I've experienced, maybe a dozen over the past 4 years have always been oddly behaved, nervous like the above poster mentioned and very timid to leave their owners side.

Rescue vs puppy, I am a proponent of rescue dogs, a lot of people say "I want a puppy so I know it'll behave well," and that just isn't reality. Lots of people want puppies because puppies are puppies, they have no less or more chance of being a great dog than any other. I've had several pup's who've turned out to be aggressive and problematic, so it isn't so black and white as your wife is saying (or pretending because puppy's are cute).

Not trying to insinuate anything towards you or your wife, but there are amazing dogs to be had at rescues, and not every rescue dog has a negative history - far from it.

9. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:01 PM
    jdavis92

jdavis92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab, 2.7L, 5spd
    Stock
    GSP all the way. If I didn't have a Chessie, that's what I would have.

Great runners with great endurance. Like others have said, they need training.

I dig Weims too. Have a friend who has a couple of them and wouldn't have any other dog. I'm not sure if it's that they are more nervous, or jumpy, or goofy...not sure. The look in their eyes never gave me a lot of confidence that they had a clear idea of what was going on at any given time.

As far as rescue vs breeder stock, here is my personal rule. When I spent money on my Chessie, it was for her genetics, not necessarily the dog. I wanted a hunting dog and I wanted one that had decades of proven hunting stock in her genes. Every other dog I have owned has been a rescue because I just wanted a good family dog that could keep up with us. If I were in your shoes, I would find a 1yr old (whatever breed you want) that is house trained and go from there.

Jeff in Flagstaff

10. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Absolutely great dogs. Of course there is always exceptions, but they are a high energy, smart and loyal breed. They are very eager to please, and are full of energy. Lucy is hands down the best dog I have had the pleasure of having in our family! She has been such a blessing! I think the rescue is a great idea. Give them a call, I think they are very forthcoming of the dogs personality. They want to place the dogs in their forever home, they don't want to get rid of them only to have another dog needing rescue. Sorry for your loss op.

EdgemanVA likes this.
  11. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    Weims are great, and I would definitely vote for a rescue. The rescue should be able to match you with a dog that will best fit your family. They usually all go through a foster home first to get an idea of their disposition, whether they are friendly with kids, other animals, etc. My parents were active in fostering and rehoming Weims for a long time, and they are what I grew up with, so I am a little biased :D

Rescue dogs make the best dogs!

12. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:10 PM
    holtjr

holtjr Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    Get a wiem. i have a two year old wiem, best decision i have ever made.

13. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Just a slight drift............

Back in the 60's a friends dad bred Wiems, they brought a pretty penny even then.

The 'couple' that he had were good dogs, and clearly quite bright. They weren't overly friendly to strangers though, even me. And I was around a lot, and most dogs, little kids and old people take to me pretty quickly. :rolleyes: I was never afraid, they just didn't want to be bothered with me.

Anyway, in at least two of their litters there was a blue eyed long hair pup. Apparently some recessive gene popping though. Those brought about 4x the price of the 'normal' yellow eyed short hairs.

Oh. And while the couple had never been hunted, or trained for such, it was still in their blood. One day they got into a neighbors pasture and took down the dominate male goat. A big one. One had him by the throat, one by the crotch.

Same technique dogs used to hunt wild boar use, but after being trained to do such. Had another friend who would bring those home and grain feed a few weeks before butchering. Just to get up a little marbling.

All that aside, while I've never owned one, a Wiem would be in my top 3 of bigger dog list (with lab and golden). For your specifics though, I think the Wiem would be my choice.

14. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    I havent read any other posts cuz im too lazy. I grew up with a wiem (lived like 12 yrs I think). Good dogs over all, insanely smart (meaning you have GOT to keep them occupied or they become a pain and act out, lesson learned more than once). They are insanely active (ours was anyway) but if you run a lot, then youre all set. I highly do not recommend getting one if you will not walk it 4-5 days a week to let it get energy out. I am a puppy raiser kinda owner, I personally dont want someone else's problem that they prob instilled bad habits in, thats just me personally. They are pretty expensive also, if from a breeder.

Currently own 2 purebred Sib. Huskies (One will be 4 yrs old in July, second will be 2 in June).

15. Mar 5, 2015 at 2:05 PM
    hack4875

hack4875 [OP] 1 of 377

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the responses.

I personally like the look and size of the Vizsla (is that spelled right?). The GSP was the other on my list as well. But the wife is pretty sold on the Weim. And as far as I know, the Weim and Vizsla are cousins or somehow related I think.
    So I'm ok with the Weim if we can find a runt or a smaller one. The dog will be female.
    I've got time, so maybe we can go to some local meet and greets for our local Weim rescue and see how the dogs take to my daughter, etc.

I will be running the dog 7 days a week. 6 days a week I run between 4-6 miles, and my off day is 2 miles. This doesn't include biking or hiking.

16. Mar 5, 2015 at 2:40 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    Thats def plenty of cardio (she wont be able to keep up at first, if you get a puppy of course haha). We had a female too, forgot to mention that.

17. Mar 5, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    That should be a good amount of exercise for that type of dog.

A side note. If you get it as a puppy, be sure to socialize her as much as possible. Makes for a much better behaved public dog.

18. Mar 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    hack4875

hack4875 [OP] 1 of 377

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    Yah, of course! With my Brittany I started her with walks around the block at 8 weeks, then by 12-16 weeks: short jogs, then 4-6 months 1 mile or so, then 8-10 months she was up to 20-30 miles per week and she was hooked.
    She got to be where she would hear me say "run" in a conversation and she would go nuts.

19. Mar 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    get a belgian malinois. they are very athletic and great hunting dogs (i have only seen them hunt bad guys but i figure hunting is hunting right?) however, great dogs.

20. Mar 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed

Products Discussed in

To Top