1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for a DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by sammy87, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jul 16, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro
    I didn't know that one has video? :confused:

2. Jul 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    No video on that one sorry

3. Jul 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Has anyone ever used the video on these? Im beginning to think the video might not be worth it, and the live view wouldnt be that great outside, i mean my point shoot sucks outside. Should I be looking at a D3000 or the XSi? and just get a seperate video camera with the money i saved?

I was at BB looking at them today and there was a semi pro photographer, atleast thats how he refered to himself. According to him I should go atleast Canon T2i, anything below was garbage. He went on for about 20 mins, now Im even more concerned.

Thanks again for all the input!

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    toyotacoma

toyotacoma Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Kenwood Excelon X-592 Custom TRD Badges
    check this comparison out: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...l-Camera-Review-20595/Canon-XS-Comparison.htm

the t1i/t2i (video) do have advantages over the xs/xsi (no video) such as higher megapixels (only relevant if you are planning on printing large photographs) as well as more autofocus points and faster processing (only relevant for sports or capturing fast moving objects)

so i would suggest getting the camera that suites your needs. no use paying $300-$400 for features you wont use all that often.

5. Jul 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    madisonsfinest

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    The BB guy is full of iT! The xsi is a great camera. Are there better? Yes. If you are a professional and you do this for a living then go for it, get a top of the line camera and spend $6k. I have a HF200 Canon HD video camera. I had this before I got the xsi, so I didn't need video. I don't know much about the camera's with video on them, and how they compare. But my best friend is a professional photographer. He does it for a living in Phoenix, AZ. He does great work I've seen it, and if you want to check it out, go to marksusan.com . Anyway, he said that if I want to get into taking some great pics, that I should start with the xsi, if you are going the Canon route. I would take his word for it.

6. Jul 17, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro
    There's something that I think you should understand. Thole whole advantage of having video function on a SLR body is so you can use the benefit of DOF from your lenses. You can use your own artistic values soooo much easier than with a cheap dedicated video camera that you would get with the savings difference of buying a SLR w/o video.

Don't under estimate the quality and capabilities of these videos... the video below was shot with a T2i and a 50mm 1.4 lens.
    The Ridge from Daniel Ostrem on Vimeo.

If you want to shoot video with an artistic eye, then yes this is entirely worth it. If you just want to record baseball games and your trips to disneyland, save your money and look elsewhere as this would be overkill and would require more work for simple shots.

7. Jul 17, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    WOW! That's pretty impressive! I didn't know I could make my adult hockey games look like "Miracle". I guess I want a camera that takes nice pics of my dog, fiance, landscapes, trips, ect...This is my first SLR and I know pretty much nothing about them, so Im looking for something easy to use, but also will keep me happy for a while and I wont be saying well this is great and all but I wish I would have bought X model. Also people seem pretty happy with whatever model they have from the D3000 and up. I dont think I would ever use the video function to make anything like that. This is probaly one of the most complicated purchases ive ever made.

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    How do you like your XSI? Ive read a lot of good things about it and basically the difference between the XSI and T1i is HD video. I really dont think I would be using the video that much on it. I was looking at adorama and they have a bunch of deals, the silver body looks kinda sweet.

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    madisonsfinest

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    I bought the silver one because it was new, and I didn't feel like paying a lot more for a black one. I like the fact that it uses SD and SDHC cards for memory. I already have those from my point and shoot cameras! It takes great pictures. My buddy advises to spend less on the camera body, and more on a nice lens, and classes. Makes sense to me. I bought a Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mark I, and I'm going to be ordering the Canon 18-135mm lens. I've always had Canon's for cameras, and I've always been happy with them.

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    TexasToyo

TexasToyo The Gunny

Member:
    First Name:
    Alonso
    From Texas / stationed in VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 4X2 Dbl Cab 4.0 V6
    I have the T2i, HD vids are flawless and pictures as well.

11. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    The T2i is just above my price range, and I think its a lil too much camera for a beginner. Wouldnt mind having it though.

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    So my search continues. I was set on the XSI but they are out of stock everywhere and the only other ones are refurbished off adorama. I decided I want to get a package deal with a case, lens mem card. So its between the T1i, D3000, D5000. Abut $200 seperates the D3000 from the other cameras. I wish I wasn't so tight with money all the time.

13. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    madisonsfinest

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    madisonsfinest

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
  15. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    I hate my friend's canon, to erase a picture I have to press a lot... even to change focus points... I have a d5000 and its perfect. Video,quality ,ect.

16. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    EMR

EMR Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tx Pro
    To delete a picture on my Canon I press review, delete, ok.

To change a focus point, I hit the AF select button then scroll my selector.

I blame user error ;)

17. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown

No...im use to Nikon..

To delete mine, i press delete twice ;)

then to change focus i just press right,left,up or down in the scroll...:cool:

Im lazy ok there.

18. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    randyg123

randyg123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    TRD-Off Road, 2xCab, Tow Pkg.
    It's not going to get any easier to decide. Get what you can afford, you will not be disappointed with the T1i or D5000, even the D3000. Their all excellent cameras. Several comments have noted the lens issue and that is relevant. Both Canon and Nikon are known for their high quality lenses and once you buy these, you'll stick with that brand, or you'll have to start all over again.

No matter which one you get, you'll be happy but in the back of your mind you'll probably be wishing you got the other one. So take the plunge and just get one. The differences are just too insignificant to worry about at this point. If, in a few years from now you decide that, "I want/need this feature" the brand you selected will probably have it available in one of their cameras. The business is too competitive for any one brand to offer a feature that the other will not for very long. Get out there and shoot some pictures, you'll be happy with any of these cameras, just do it.

19. Jul 28, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
  20. Jul 30, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    XSI is ordered...should be here next week.. Thank you all for the info!

Products Discussed in

To Top