Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

New in SLR photography

Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
New in SLR photography

Hello,

I got my first SLR a month ago so technically I'm a newb. After reading tons of info, I went out yesterday to shoot for the first time without me as subject. I don't know yet what field in photography I'm gonna go for so I just went out and shoot. Here are few of my shots. What do you think? Feel free to praise or criticize. I like to hear both sides.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
Lovin that sunset picture
Old 07-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Love that gull shot.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
If you dont mind what camera are you using?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
The sunset and the gull are definitely keepers. The succulent would be much better if you got the flash off of the camera. First one doesn't do much for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Brownboy is on a distinguished road
Brownboy's Tacoma Gallery
Noob?

Liar!

haha. Good pics man. Awesome for a noob.
I haven't touched my camera in months.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #8

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
If you dont mind what camera are you using?
I'm using Nikon D90. I used Nikkor 70-300mm VR in all these photos.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #9

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraaazymike View Post
The sunset and the gull are definitely keepers. The succulent would be much better if you got the flash off of the camera. First one doesn't do much for me.
Succulent? So that's what it's called. Lol. I did added flash because the sunlight was strong. I think the flash did well to light up the bottom a little bit. But I guess I should have looked for another one. I was using 70-300mm all day so that 2nd one was not really a good composition. I just liked the colors.

Very constructive comments. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Im trying to move from 35mm SLR, to DSLR....

what are your settings for the shots?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #11

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownboy View Post
Noob?

Liar!

haha. Good pics man. Awesome for a noob.
I haven't touched my camera in months.
I'm lower than noob! In just a month, I read the camera manual, watched videos, read, read... It was only last weekend that I got the chance to try all those things. I guess it pays off. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO

I think you did a good job with all four.
The first one is just a smidge overexposed. Did you use any PP, to me it appears to be just a little to much sharpness. A little slower shutter speed would have made the water dreamy like.

The second one is beautiful, can't think of anything I would have done different, stunning.

Third one, nice capture and exposure.

Last one, maybe a little more DOF, another nice capture.
Very nice work all around. Lets see some more.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #13

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
Im trying to move from 35mm SLR, to DSLR....

what are your settings for the shots?
I used aperture priority except for the sunset. I used largest aperture of my lens, which is f/4.0 to 5.6 depending on the focal length and set the ISO to 200. The camera took care of the shutter speed. With the sunset, I was doing manual - F/32, 1/800, ISO 400.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #15

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
IMHO

I think you did a good job with all four.
The first one is just a smidge overexposed. Did you use any PP, to me it appears to be just a little to much sharpness. A little slower shutter speed would have made the water dreamy like.

The second one is beautiful, can't think of anything I would have done different, stunning.

Third one, nice capture and exposure.

Last one, maybe a little more DOF, another nice capture.
Very nice work all around. Lets see some more.
I did adjust the contrast of that first pic. It looked ok in my laptop but now that I look at it in different screen, it's entirely different. I guess my laptop screen needs to be adjusted. I'll try the slower shutter speed for the waves next time.
I'll keep all your comments in mind in my next try. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
scorock is on a distinguished road

scorock's Tacoma Gallery
Sunset is a really nice one!
..so this was what you were doing when you said "another meaning of off-roading" at fb.. hehe
.. let's see some more!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #17

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorock View Post
Sunset is a really nice one!
..so this was what you were doing when you said "another meaning of off-roading" at fb.. hehe
.. let's see some more!
Thank you scorock. I wish I can go out again to look for interesting subjects. Last time, I was just eager to try the camera and shoot whatever looks good.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know jack about photography, but they looks good to me
Old 07-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #19

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I like the diet Dr. Pepper.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #20
tackyfinger is on a distinguished road
tackyfinger's Tacoma Gallery
noob? you have talent man, im 4 yrs shooting w/ dslr but yours pics are better.