Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

a good "every day" lens

Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
a good "every day" lens

im hoping some photogurus can help a bretheren out.

got a nikon d60.. i have 50mm f1.4 the pos 18-55mm it comes with and a 75-300mm

i am always switching out lenses and i dont wanna be doing that ALL the time... i would love to have something like this but i dont have $2,000.00 to spend on a lens.... maybe like $800 at most....

but that zoom is perfect... any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
kraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shedkraaazymike is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kraaazymike's Tacoma Gallery
A 14-24 is not going to be a good everyday lens. You'll still be constantly finding yourself switching lenses.

You might want to look into something like Nikon's 24-120 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ephoto_AF.html). Though with your body's crop factor it will be more like a 36-180mm. This will give you a decent amount of wide angle, normal and a decent amount of zoom.

Alternatively, you can go with other brands like Sigma's 28-300 for cheaper. (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/389309-REG/Sigma_795306_28_300mm_f_3_5_6_3_DG_Macro.html)

Don't think you have to stick with Nikon lenses, you're mostly paying for the name. Sigma, while cheaper, still comes out with real nice images.

With your price range, you're not going to get much faster than f/3.5-5.6 and you can't really get an ultra-wide mm like 14mm with a decent zoom for everyday use.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what you do. I used a fixed 30mm 1.4 on 98% of my shots, it makes you rely less on zoom and more on creative composition. Journalists use zooms 24.7. Just depends on what u do. 50mm is a little too much zoom to use as a walkaround lens on a crop.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
18-200
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
18-200mm is the way to go, I bought my D40 body only and a Nikon 18-200mm VR it can do almost anything. The lens goes around $500 used on eBay
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
or buy new for 300 bucks here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6_3_II_DC.html
Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #7
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I also vote for the 18-200. i use it as my walk around lens
Old 08-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #8
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for the 18-200 mm as well. I've got just my 55-200mm that I always use. Been too strapped for cash lately to go out and buy the 18-200 mm. Plan to eventually tho.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
18-200VR is an amazing lens
Old 08-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a Canon guy but my walk around lens is a 24-105 F/4L IS.
This works for about 98% of all my photography. I have two other bodies that I will put my 70-200 F2.8L IS on or one of my primes if I think I may need something else.
A lot of camera stores will rent equipment. See if you can rent something for the weekend and try it out before you pluck down the $$.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Depends on what you do. I used a fixed 30mm 1.4 on 98% of my shots, it makes you rely less on zoom and more on creative composition. Journalists use zooms 24.7. Just depends on what u do. 50mm is a little too much zoom to use as a walkaround lens on a crop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
18-200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
18-200mm is the way to go, I bought my D40 body only and a Nikon 18-200mm VR it can do almost anything. The lens goes around $500 used on eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
I also vote for the 18-200. i use it as my walk around lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
I vote for the 18-200 mm as well. I've got just my 55-200mm that I always use. Been too strapped for cash lately to go out and buy the 18-200 mm. Plan to eventually tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb_crew View Post
18-200VR is an amazing lens
What they said ^^^
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
A lens that I like using for general photography on both my Nikon D200 and D60 is the NIKKOR AF VR 24-120 3.5/5.6.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
18-200
Old 08-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry if already answered, but what type of photography do you do an a "regular" basis? That question will basically determine what you need. Yes, the 18-200 is a good-great walk around lens, but I'm going through a fast lens phase. Took a trip to Denver and only brought my nikon 50 1.4G.

Also have the 70-200 2.8 and the 14-24 2.8. For me, walk around equates to having my backpack with me..

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned the crop factor on the DX line. Your 50 is 75.

I have great lenses, and good bodies. Especially if you are gonna stay in the game long enough, spend on good glass rather than bodies.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
so it looks like 18-200 is they way to go.......ive never been a fan of "third party" brands. if i get a lens it will definitley be Nikkor. so.........i guess its settled!! lol thanks guys!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #19
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Jerk View Post
so it looks like 18-200 is they way to go.......ive never been a fan of "third party" brands. if i get a lens it will definitley be Nikkor. so.........i guess its settled!! lol thanks guys!
I'm not a fan of 3rd party either...

If you are thinking of going FX in the near future however, you may want to flip the coin again..
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #20
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
I'm not a fan of 3rd party either...

If you are thinking of going FX in the near future however, you may want to flip the coin again..
yeah i know......i may be sticking with DX until i have a better income