1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Didn't see this coming. Nikon's new DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by JLee, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    I Really thought Nikon would be replacing the D90 before they released another entry level DSLR.

Well i guess Nikon rumors was wrong.

check it out the new Nikon D3100 it looks like it's pretty much a D3000 with a new 14.2mp sensor & full 1080p video capture.
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d3100/

It looks to be promising for the person that want's to step up to a DSLR but still has the ease of use of a point & shoot.

2. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    For the soccer moms.

3. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    I have a D60 and like it. I just wish I had some sort of HD video recording capabilities.

4. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    lost1700

lost1700 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner
    I am looking to buy my first camera and from the reviews this camera takes the place of both the D3000 and the D5000.

5. Aug 20, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Yeah i was reading up on last night it seems like a decent camera as is the D3000 & D5000 but my personal opinion if you want to buy a DSLR buy a DSLR and if you want a video camera buy video camera.

I have a D300s and it has video recording capabilities but I don't use it much video recording on a DSLR is not the greatest for one it don't have the focus
    capabilities of a video camera and your mirror is up the whole time leaving it exposed to the elements. Don't get me wrong it's nice to have for some stuff but don't buy a more expensive camera just because of video save that money and buy a real video camera.

6. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    ocabj

ocabj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pyrite Mica Tacoma Standard Cab
    The reason why dSLR video is the rage is because you can get the look and perspective achieved with industry/professional grade cameras like Red which are pushing $20K, but for a lot less.

A friend of mine from HS works on a video production team and several months back dumped their Red cameras in favor for Canon 5D Mark II bodies, a series of lenses, and Zacuto rigs.

But you're correct with regards to general consumers like moms and dads trying to record the kids; a basic $700 camcorder is the way to go vs dSLR video.

7. Aug 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    SiRMarlon

SiRMarlon The Photo Ninja!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    x100000000 if you want a great camera with decent video just get a D90 :D other wise go buy a fucken video recorder or a Flip Camera. Don't buy a DSLR for it's video capabilities...you should be buying a DSLR for it's picture taking qualities.

8. Aug 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Still waiting for the DAMN D700X. Been waiting too long also. That's what we need another entry level camera. Not impressed.

9. Aug 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    Damm Baller in the house!!! :D If I ever go pro status I'm springing for the D3x I will sell a kidney for that camera :D Go big or go home is my motto!

10. Aug 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Funny story. So I have my Canon AT-1 while on vacation. For you younger confused bastards that's this.

[​IMG]

Anywho, So I was wanting a picture of me and the family, and this elderly couple probably in their mid 60's offers to take a picture for us. I was like sure! Awesome! She's got a Canon XS Rebel or something very much like it around her neck so I felt fairly confident in handing over my AT-1 to her. I had already put it in focus and adjusted the aperture and shutter speed for that particular shot so she should have had to do much to it and she goes and takes the picture.

I said thanks, that's excellent and she was like Oh, I don't know how that turned out, I'm not sure how to get it to go back so you can see if your picture came out right. :rolleyes:

I'm like, yeah that's not going to happen till I get the film back from the store, that's a 35mm camera.

Long story short, funny that she has no idea how to use a camera, but she owns a DSLR. Go figure.

11. Aug 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I looked at that camera.(D3x) It's freaking TOO BIG ! Could they have made in any Freaking Bigger? If it was not so Freaking Large I would have bought it. It does what I need. I'm looking for a 24 mega pixel that will fit my shit load of Nikon lenses I already freaking own. Been waiting years now for a freaking Nikon that is not Massive to fit that bill. Everytime I go to the Nikon site now I just get more ticked off. This latest camera is icing on the cake. I tell ya that company has lost touch.

12. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    You must have small hands then :D Because I love the way the D3 feels in my hands! Everything is within reach of my fingers! I have no problems with this camera at all...I just wish I had the $7,000 for that camera because believe you me! If I had the cash it would be my primary camera for everything I shoot! :) And in my book you really don't need many lenses...17-55/70-200 and a nice portrait lens is all thats needed.

I see these guys lugging around all kinds of lens's only to sit there and not be able to decide which lens to use! :laughing: the more I don't have to switch lens's the less dirty my sensor is going to get!! :) Sometimes having to many lens's can be a bad thing!

13. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:35 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Ya but I have the cool lenses. I've got it down to a science how to get them off and on without any dust. It's not size as in I have problems working it, it's in size as in does this make my ass look too big ? How the hell are you going to blend in and hide with a camera that is so damn big? If it was the size of the D700 I'd buy it in a second. It's ridiculously huge and there is no reason for it other than some crazy honor badge as in my dick is really short, so my camera is bigger than yours. The Humvee of cameras. I looked at the sony that has the same 24 mega pixel. I've come to the conclusion there is no damn reason for it to be so large. Hence the really long wait on a D700x if they ever come out with something like that.

14. Aug 22, 2010 at 1:53 AM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    Blend in? Hahaha wtf are you trying to blend in to? You hiding from the CIA or are you some kind of Paparrazzo! Well from one opinion to another I'm sorry you feel the way you do, because I look at a camera's raw performance not whether my ass looks to big...:laughing: I'm in it to win it homie! Now with that being said...I know a lot of people who shoot with D3/D700s who couldn't out shoot me with my D70s and a flimsy kit lens! And that is saying a lot because there is still so much I have to learn...

Glad to hear you have switching lens's down to a science :) having a lot of lens's is just not my cup of tea...I will take 2-3 top of the line stuff that can cover and entire range with no worries. 2 Cameras 2 lens's and I am GOLDEN!!! :D

15. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    No when I walk threw a airport with it I don't want ten thieves walking behind me waiting for me to leave the building. It's just not workable for me. I need it to be some what compact for where I plan on using it. Big cameras are no good, they scare people. You want to be discrete not HERE I AM SMILE ! Agreed having lots of lenses is no good. I have no real overlap. I have lenses most people don't have. 2000mm, 1000mm, Medical Nikkor. Fish eye 16mm and 8mm. Bunch of zooms and some extra low light lenses. I've been collecting them for awhile. Zooms are fine but there not screaming speed also. There is a trade off for that convenience. I usually want low light cause I like taking my pictures as low ASA as I can. I'm not interested in high ASA pictures. I like taking grain free pictures of the Northern lights. You need a really good camera for that with a really good high speed lens. Not workable with a zoom lens. You need f2.8 or better.

16. Aug 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    Hold on here...you are talking about a Nikon D3 not being workable because it's to big, and that you need something compact because a big Camera will scare people? And you want o be discreet when you are talking about a 1000mm, and 2000mm :laughing: you know those are fucken telescopes and are absolutely FUCKEN huge and make a D3 look like a pea? :laughing: You sorta self contradicted yourself. And I don't think I have ever walked through an airport showing off my equipment so I could get targeted...come on dude. It seems like you are just trying to find any excuse here...lol

I don't remember the last time I heard someone referred to ISO as ASA, Zooms can be just as fast as your fixed lens's...my 17-55 is a f.28 my 70-200 is a F2.8 and my 50mm is a f1.4 so I can shoot in any light. My only drawback are my cameras right now. My D70s is a old timer compared to whats out there, my D300 is my salvation right now but still does not posses the low light shooting Awesomeness that is the D3x :) I know all about low light shooting...it's the reason I bought faster high end lens's and it's the reason why I want a faster high end camera. :D

Here is your typical 600mm f4 (which is Nikons Fastest and Longest fixed lens at the moment and cost about 10K) I can only imagine what a 1000m, and 2000m look like :D

[​IMG]

You should post up some pictures of your lens's and of your work...I'm interested in seeing it.

17. Aug 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    MC1983

MC1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one still using a D70s. I am planning to get a new body soon, just can't decide if its going to be a D300 or try and find a used D2Xs. It's just a hobby for me so I don't need the latest and greatest. It seems like there is more money in the soccer mom crowd and these consumer bodies are what nikon is catering to.

I'd be interested to see what a 2000mm lens looks like as well. That 600mm looks massive

18. Aug 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    I made a nice long reply but it did not post for some reason and I lost it. Ticked me off so I didn't type it all over again. The 2000 and 1000mm lenses are not that bad actually. There is pictures on the web of them. Look for 2000mm Nikkor reflex.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/reflex/2000mm.htm

I own a truck for a reason. I would never walk threw a airport with this lens. The lens is only part of the problem. You got the mount and then the tripod. You need a truck to lug it around.

Mostly I use the 16mm lens. It's my favorite. To me it's just the D3x is unusable in it's current configuration. It's very heavy and does not have sensor cleaning built in. It's just too damn big for what I need it for. Even the D700 is a very large camera. I could live with that size though.

Keep this in mind, If your in the middle of the Arctic and it's -40 outside and you want to go grab some pictures. Exactly how are you going to keep that Dx3 warm till you plan on using it? You zip it up lens and all under your coat till you need it. That idea is not going to work. The camera is too big you'll never get your coat zipped up. If it gets cold the batteries will die. I've done it enough to realize it's not going to work for what I want to do with it. Almost bought it then came to my senses, I'm just going to wait for what I want, but it's been a longer wait then I anticipated. All my lenses are F lenses so I need F camera. No point spending all that cash to stick them on a DX camera.

In a pinch I'll take the 16mm and a zoom lens. 16mm mounted and the zoom in a case. I have a camera case that will hold the zoom mounted to the camera but it's never going to work with the D3x. The camera will not fit. Tried it already. Ok got him to quote me a new case and tried to get that under my coat. No way in hell it's going to work. Other options? Cooler with heating pads inside. All of a sudden you realize this camera is not very portable or practical. If you get it you end up buying a smaller body for general photography and just use the Dx3 when you actually need it. I'm just going to wait till one camera fits that bill.

I had a chance once to buy the 500mm lens also. Like a idiot I did not buy it. I still kick myself over that stupid decision. It's small enough to be hand held with today's modern camera if you're real careful. It's smaller then a zoom.

19. Aug 25, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    SiRMarlon

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Canon 5D MarkIII
    I guess it comes down to what you are going to use the camera for...The D3s low light performance is what I am after I don't shoot in the artic or in freezing temperatures so I guess I don't have to worry about tucking my camera in my jacket :laugh: But I see what you are saying. :) Pretty much to each his own!

And yes as of late it seems like Nikon has been catering to the Soccer Mom crowd! Mark, skip the D300 and get yourself a D2x if you can find a decent one. I should have just done that instead of buying the D300s. Oh well no biggie, I'm saving my pennies now for the D3 so well see how it goes.

20. Aug 25, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T

Products Discussed in

To Top