Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

How do they do this?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
How do they do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVrK4...eature=channel

I love star trail pics.

It looks like he took a bunch of pics shutter speed fairly low and combined them together. Rather than taking 10 or so long (30 min) shots. What do you think?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
That is frigging cool
Old 09-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I think your right and thats the coolest thing I've seen all day.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Well there is a program the you can overlay images together but i forget what it is. I tried to do something like that with a long shutter on my tripod but the streaks were little but it still looked cool. My shutter was open for 42min. If you really want to do it right use a film camera and open the shutter for like 5 or 6 hours you will defiantly get the earths rotation. I thought about doing to with my DSLR but I don't want to damage my censer leaving the shutter open that long.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a picture I took another night. Its the same concept as the video, I just left my shutter open for ten seconds. See if any one can locate a Tacoma in the picture???. lol

Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
But instead of the cars moving its the stars
Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
There's a bunch of different ways to make star trails.

Of course, you can point the camera at the polar star and things will rotate around that as long as your exposure is long enough (15-20 minutes). You can also "stack" a number of shorter exposures to come up with one exposure and you to achieve the effect you see at the top of this thread, you can use an intervalometer to make a number of exposures over a long period of time and them assemble them into a timelapse movie--these can take 4+ hours of wall clock time to make a couple of minutes of video--but it looks really good.

I kinda like some of the timelapse stuff I've seen lately.

It's not as obvious but this was taken under a full moon.

and this is a star trail...

Lots of fun and glad to see people are wanting to try star trails!

Here is a little primer on shooting them.