Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

This damned camera is confusing me dammit!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
This damned camera is confusing me dammit!

I borrowed my cousin's Nikon d3000. She knows nothing about it. She just shoots on auto all the time. So I gave her my point and shoot and I got her nikon. I am trying to figure out how to work it on the "M" mode in regards to the aperture and f-stop stuff. And also when to use the "A", 'S', and 'P' modes.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
honestly man, thats stuff is way too complicated to explain on a thread. It took me a good day to read through a 200 page book on photography to learn how to use all the features correctly. Search the internet for some basic photography info.

As a quick run down, the camera has a sensor behind the lens [inside the body] and the sensor has to receive the perfect amount of light for the picture to come out properly exposed. If it gets too much light, the colors are blown out and your picture often comes out very white. If it doesnt get enough, it comes out really dark. So the trick is getting in the perfect amount of light from your environment.

The amount of light hitting the camera's sensor is controlled by

1. shutter speed: how long your shutter stays open
2. Aperture: the size of a pinhole in the back which can be opened up, or closed up to let in light. This will also affect the depth of focus on your pictures though
3. ISO: The sensitivity of the sensor

You'll also need to play with white balance to perfect the colors and such.

Once you get it, it awesome and you can produce some amazing stuff. Untill then, shoot on auto. Or go read up.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the world of DSLR's your going to be hooked.

Manual mode it really simple if you know the basics. You can always read the manual or go on youtube there is so many tutorials for Nikon cameras

Here's one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orpw4jRvbo0
Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
I borrowed my cousin's Nikon d3000. She knows nothing about it. She just shoots on auto all the time. So I gave her my point and shoot and I got her nikon. I am trying to figure out how to work it on the "M" mode in regards to the aperture and f-stop stuff. And also when to use the "A", 'S', and 'P' modes.

Now you know why she uses "auto" all the time!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Download the manual off the web. Even if you have the manual download the PDF. It's the way to master that camera.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #7
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
hit it with a hammer

Old 09-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinch View Post
Lol yeah I guess. But she bought the thing with no intention of figuring it out.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
P-S-A-M basics -
P = program mode. sort of like auto but you can override any of the settings like aperture or f-stop
S = shutter priority. you determine the shutter speed, camera selects f-stop. great for sports/action pics, night shots, long exposures.
A = aperture priority. camera picks the shutter speed and you select the aperture (amount of light let in the camera). good for landscapes, outdoor pics
M = manual. you must control everything. take a test shot in auto first if you're not sure. great if you want to do panoramic shots from a tripod and stitch several pics together in photoshop.

I hang out in aperture priority 90% of the time. 90% of the pics I take are nature/landscape so it works well for me. Tried program mode once and it was the worst batch of pics I had ever gotten out of my camera.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
He may find that panorama is built in. What ever the first picture uses will be the exposure for the rest till you click it done. You just have to select it from the menu.

Don't think I've ever used it on my Nikon. I just hand hold them and I take a lot of panoramas and they have always worked. I don't think I've even used a tripod yet. I've misplaced my small tripod.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Local TW dissenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
P-S-A-M basics -
P = program mode. sort of like auto but you can override any of the settings like aperture or f-stop
S = shutter priority. you determine the shutter speed, camera selects f-stop. great for sports/action pics, night shots, long exposures.
A = aperture priority. camera picks the shutter speed and you select the aperture (amount of light let in the camera). good for landscapes, outdoor pics
M = manual. you must control everything. take a test shot in auto first if you're not sure. great if you want to do panoramic shots from a tripod and stitch several pics together in photoshop.

I hang out in aperture priority 90% of the time. 90% of the pics I take are nature/landscape so it works well for me. Tried program mode once and it was the worst batch of pics I had ever gotten out of my camera.
Thank you ma'am That is some great info
Old 09-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Hey matt if you don't like the d3000 i'll buy it off of ya if its in a decent condition
Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
http://stopshootingauto.com/exposure-lessons-in-order/

Take the lessons in order. Dont skip. It shouldnt take you no longer than 4 hours total to read through all them. 2 or 3 a day.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
P-S-A-M basics -

I found this out the hard way. I took about 300 pics on a timer every 5 seconds and tried to make a time lapse movie. Well, there was shade, sun, clouds, wind, everything...and my fstop changed each pic. So my time lapse looked like i was turning the lights on and off outside...lol...

Manual is best for these type of shots as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
honestly man, thats stuff is way too complicated to explain on a thread. It took me a good day to read through a 200 page book on photography to learn how to use all the features correctly. Search the internet for some basic photography info.

As a quick run down, the camera has a sensor behind the lens [inside the body] and the sensor has to receive the perfect amount of light for the picture to come out properly exposed. If it gets too much light, the colors are blown out and your picture often comes out very white. If it doesnt get enough, it comes out really dark. So the trick is getting in the perfect amount of light from your environment.

The amount of light hitting the camera's sensor is controlled by

1. shutter speed: how long your shutter stays open
2. Aperture: the size of a pinhole in the back which can be opened up, or closed up to let in light. This will also affect the depth of focus on your pictures though
3. ISO: The sensitivity of the sensor

You'll also need to play with white balance to perfect the colors and such.

Once you get it, it awesome and you can produce some amazing stuff. Untill then, shoot on auto. Or go read up.
this
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Welcome to the world of DSLR's your going to be hooked.

Manual mode it really simple if you know the basics. You can always read the manual or go on youtube there is so many tutorials for Nikon cameras

Here's one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orpw4jRvbo0
this
Quote:
P-S-A-M basics -

this

im in manual 99% of the time. eventually you will know in what kind of lighting what settings to use.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Sure bob
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #17
Local TW dissenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8WhiteTaco View Post
Hey matt if you don't like the d3000 i'll buy it off of ya if its in a decent condition
OK! Just send the money to me and I'll get riiight on sending you the camera.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #18
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I responded to the wrong thread it seems. You can read here for the method I'm trying out.