LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Looking to buy an SLR, which one to buy?

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Gr8WhiteTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Gr8WhiteTaco
Looking to buy an SLR, which one to buy?

Like the title says I'm looking to get into SLR photography, but I'm unsure on what model to buy. I've been looking into the D3000, but the more I read reviews and look around, im starting to think i should get a better model. Now I'm thinking about the D5000, D3100, and EOS T1i. Not really wanting to shell out too much cash, but I would rather buy a good quality model than a cheap one that will be outdated in a year or so. I'd like to have video capabilites of some sort, Live view would be nice, and is easy for a point'n'shooter to pick up and learn how to use. any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
D5000 nuff said, it has video, live view, and the d90 sensor. Check out my picture thread.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
If you're just getting into photography I'd start a little smaller if I were you.

Just saying. Those camera's, while they can be used point and shoot, really are not made for that. Unless you really see yourself getting into this hardcore.

Just remember that lenses for those things are ridiculously prohibitive.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
They make entry levels for a reason...
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #5
bishes love my haircut
Gr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedGr8WhiteTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
D5000 nuff said, it has video, live view, and the d90 sensor. Check out my picture thread.
yeah that's the one I've wanted from the beginning and your pics turn out awesome. I'm def envious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
If you're just getting into photography I'd start a little smaller if I were you.

Just saying. Those camera's, while they can be used point and shoot, really are not made for that. Unless you really see yourself getting into this hardcore.

Just remember that lenses for those things are ridiculously prohibitive.
I plan on doing more than just shooting on auto. I just think it would be smarter $-wise to buy one of the listed models since they're not much more expensive than a D3000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
They make entry levels for a reason...
I know...
Old 10-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
The D3000 is a great entry level DSLR i would look into that one first.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Canon

Actually, make sure you go some place and hold the various brands in your hand. You need to be comfy operating controls without looking. Not to mention comfort is a big factor.

Regardless of what brand you want to buy (within the major brands), find the one that fits and which is easy for you to use.

Good luck with your choice!

P.S. You can find good deals on used cameras around. That would be a great way to get started. Your selection is also pretty good.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
bishes love my haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Get a Canon

Actually, make sure you go some place and hold the various brands in your hand. You need to be comfy operating controls without looking. Not to mention comfort is a big factor.

Regardless of what brand you want to buy (within the major brands), find the one that fits and which is easy for you to use.

Good luck with your choice!

P.S. You can find good deals on used cameras around. That would be a great way to get started. Your selection is also pretty good.
Thanks for the advice man. I've been on fall break this week so I've been reading reviews from just about everywhere to make sure I can the perfect one. I'll probably go looking around this weekend to check em out in person. Maybe if all goes well I might come back with one. I've been looking for one for quite some time so I can't wait to get one and learn all about it.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
rdrnr is on a distinguished road

rdrnr's Tacoma Gallery
If you can spend a little extra $ go with the Canon T2i. Much improved and better than the D5000 or T1i.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrnr View Post
If you can spend a little extra $ go with the Canon T2i.
I have the T2i and I am a total newbie when it comes to photography.
I'm very impressed with this camera. It takes wonderful pictures, HD video, is very comfy, and very easy to understand and use. I can't say enough good things about it.

I have zero knowledge about other brands and models though
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
dpreview.com is a great place to start your research. it really depends on what you're looking to do with it... i'm sure there are much more informed people on this site than i, but that link can get you started. it's got tons of great in-depth reviews and comparisons.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #14
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
If you can make the jump for the D90, you will appreciate it and be happy in the end. The lcd screen on the top of the body makes a huge difference. Additionally the d5000 is incompatible with a lot of nikons older as well as their cheaper full frame prime lenses (ex. 50mm 1.8, 35 mm 1.8) because these require a screw drive built into the body for auto focus which the d5000 does not have as far as I know. Also as nice as it seems the fold screen is pretty much useless as most of the time that you will be using it (except when you are taking video) you will be using the viewfinder and not the screen as it is slow and inaccurate, its there mostly just for image review.

Just food for thought, as the d5000 does limit the expandablilty.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
bishes love my haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
i'm in the exact same boat. thinking about a d5000
Ok glad I'm not the only one lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrnr View Post
If you can spend a little extra $ go with the Canon T2i. Much improved and better than the D5000 or T1i.
Haven't looked at the T2i, but just looking at it on bestbuy and thats the most I could spend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpick View Post
dpreview.com is a great place to start your research. it really depends on what you're looking to do with it... i'm sure there are much more informed people on this site than i, but that link can get you started. it's got tons of great in-depth reviews and comparisons.
Yeah I've reading up on that site like crazy
Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
bishes love my haircut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpvds View Post
If you can make the jump for the D90, you will appreciate it and be happy in the end. The lcd screen on the top of the body makes a huge difference. Additionally the d5000 is incompatible with a lot of nikons older as well as their cheaper full frame prime lenses (ex. 50mm 1.8, 35 mm 1.8) because these require a screw drive built into the body for auto focus which the d5000 does not have as far as I know. Also as nice as it seems the fold screen is pretty much useless as most of the time that you will be using it (except when you are taking video) you will be using the viewfinder and not the screen as it is slow and inaccurate, its there mostly just for image review.

Just food for thought, as the d5000 does limit the expandablilty.
Thanks for the great info! Unfortunately, D90 is def out of my budget. Most I'm wanting to spend is $800-ish.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a side by side review of the D5000 and the T1i http://gizmodo.com/5234607/canon-reb...slr-battlemodo

the T1i got the win in this review but the only reason he gave it to the T1i is because of the Video and live view focus. Come on were talking DSLR's not the video taking capabilities of them. I'm a Nikon guy myself so i lean more towards the D5000 but Cannon makes great cameras i just prefer Nikon's optics and low light capabilities in there higher end body's.

in the end you will be able to take fantastic images from either brand it's just what one do you think is right for you.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
zeroendless is on a distinguished road

zeroendless's Tacoma Gallery
The money i spend on photography equipment could get me a brand new taco, sadly As far as body, i don't think you can go wrong with Canon or Nikon. When you get into more advance state, lens selection matters the most. You mentioned just casual shooting with auto in mind, that category doesn't matter much. I'm a long time Canon shooter and the Nikon 14-28mm is one lens i lust for. It's great for wide angle auto photography, pricey but optically excellent.

As far entry units go, if you go for Nikon, make sure you get the unit with in-body AF-motor.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
bishes love my haircut

Do any of Yall have any experience with the D3000 bc I may just buy it and another lense. After reading reviews, I just don't think the hd video and live view is as good or useful as I'd want it to be. plus I just threw down some cash to get the a/c fixed on the taco and it took a little more than I thought
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
rdrnr is on a distinguished road

rdrnr's Tacoma Gallery
I spent weeks on every DSLR source including Dp review, Cnet, Consumer Reports and camera forums. There are two main brands, Canon and Nikon. Most people are brand loyal to one or the other and have a tendency to knock the other. I had a Canon T1i and a Nikon D90 and the Canon T2i is the way to go. The camera has many of the same specs as the Canon 7D at half the price. Some people knock the video feature and it was not one of priorities, but after using the camera I would not be without it. The videos are top notch.