Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Help me pick camera accessories

Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
Help me pick camera accessories

So my girlfriend has a Sony a200. She has the big bright flash attachment and a second lens with a good zoom. I plan on getting her a tripod, monopod and bag for her camera for Christmas.

She's pretty talented in my opinion. (I haven't been able to get any good shots with her camera and she gets some cash about two times a month when she takes pictures for fun, weddings, babies, families, senior pics and engagements.)

So what I'm wondering, is there anything that I could get her for her camera that goes on the lense? I'm thinking filters and stuff. Most of her photography is still shots of nature, scenery, and people.

Also, what kind of tripod would be recommended? She often walks from location to location in parks and downtown on photoshoots.

I'd like to stay within 60 dollars for lense attachments.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Graduated neutral density filter

I don't think you'd want both a monopod and a tripod, just sounds like too much gear doubling up.
The only real reason for a tripod is for in studio, low light, or when you have a very planned shot. Anti vibration lenses take care of most everything else.
Monopods are for people with very heavy lenses (I'm talking 10lbs and such). The only lens that is close to being "heavy" for Sony is the 70-200mm, which is still fine for handheld.
If you can avoid having to use tripods/monopods, so much the better because they are hard to pack around and take time to set up. If you insist, look here for recommendations.

I'd say if you want to dump money on something,

-upgrade her lenses to better quality lenses. It sounds like the zoom lens can stick around, but the other lens might be what came in the box. I think my recommendation would be the 50mm f/1.4. It's inexpensive, and if it's anything like the 50mm Canon makes, it feels like it's impossible to take a bad pic.

-Buy her Adobe Lightroom. Wonderful software, powerful without being difficult.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Graduated neutral density filter

I don't think you'd want both a monopod and a tripod, just sounds like too much gear doubling up.
The only real reason for a tripod is for in studio, low light, or when you have a very planned shot. Anti vibration lenses take care of most everything else.
Monopods are for people with very heavy lenses (I'm talking 10lbs and such). The only lens that is close to being "heavy" for Sony is the 70-200mm, which is still fine for handheld.
If you can avoid having to use tripods/monopods, so much the better because they are hard to pack around and take time to set up. If you insist, look here for recommendations.

I'd say if you want to dump money on something,

-upgrade her lenses to better quality lenses. It sounds like the zoom lens can stick around, but the other lens might be what came in the box. I think my recommendation would be the 50mm f/1.4. It's inexpensive, and if it's anything like the 50mm Canon makes, it feels like it's impossible to take a bad pic.

Thanks. Very helpful. I'll search for an adobe lightroom trial too
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post

+1
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
I think a tripod and filters would be a waste of money at this point.

The fast 50mm prime mentioned is probably the best 'accessory' at this point, especially for portraits.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
outdoor photography? she isnt well armed without a polarizing filter. it darkens the blue sky and makes the clouds pop. of course max filter affect is at 90 degress from the sun. (aim thumb at sun, the index finger will be pointed at the area the filter does the most "affecting")
Old 11-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
A good tripod is never a waste of money. But remember to get a good tripod
Old 11-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
A good tripod is never a waste of money. But remember to get a good tripod
I'd tend to agree with you, but the OP indicated the type of shooting as "weddings, babies, families, senior pics and engagements".

At this point, the OP is better off getting a fast lens and lights (Speedlights or strobes) rather than spending $800 on a tripod and head combo.

But I guess if the OP is committed to a tripod, I'd go with a Really Right Stuff head.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
I'd tend to agree with you, but the OP indicated the type of shooting as "weddings, babies, families, senior pics and engagements".

At this point, the OP is better off getting a fast lens and lights (Speedlights or strobes) rather than spending $800 on a tripod and head combo.

But I guess if the OP is committed to a tripod, I'd go with a Really Right Stuff head.
You don't need to spend $800 on a tripod. I have less than $200 in my tripod and it is a great setup

Slik 500DX legs-$100
Smith-Victor BH5 ballhead-$45