1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Third Party Lenses. Are they really that bad?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by THXEY, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:05 AM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    SO, i have heard from A LOT of people that third party lenses are bad or cheap in quality. Dont get me wrong if i could afford it i would stay in the family and buy Nikkor. but times are obviously tough. and i really want the Nikkor 16-35mm F4 with VR. But the Tokina 16-28mm F2.8 looks so good and its significantly cheaper, AND its a faster lens. and my thinking is, Tokina, Tamron, Sigma, Bushnell, etc etc. all they make is lenses. so they cant be THAT bad. maybe i just need direction.

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
  3. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I have never had any problems with a third party lense! :D

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    me neither!! i have a 28-80mm sigma and a 28mm bushnell and theyre both great!

5. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:15 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    Exactly! Haters... :cool:

:p

6. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    There are indeed cases where OEM lenses suck compared to 3rd party brand's counter parts, you just gotta look for the reviews. I know us Canon user have some good wides angles made by Tokina, some fast lenses with good IQ from Sigma, and Canon has their fair share of good L glass. Join a forum and see what they have to say. Im on a forum that has reviews and sample photos for pretty much any lens that fits on our cameras, I'm sure you can find something similar

7. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:01 AM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    As a professional photography i'll say.......... haahaha jk im hyper right now. I'll stay within Tamron, Tokina & Sigma only

8. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    ok because saving a $480.00 difference for a FASTER lens (F2.8), and having to sacrifice the "Nikkor" name, seems well worth it to me. and i have heard nothing but great things about Tokinas WA. ive actually heard that some of them are better than some of the nikkor lenses. so.....yeh

9. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
  10. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    flocktothewall

flocktothewall Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Redlands, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC, TRD OFF ROAD, WHITE
    In my experience I'd have to disagree in that Nikkor lenses are superior to 3rd party lenses. Before you stone me, let me explain. I have a sigma 70-200 2.8. The problem is, the Camera manufacturers make lenses designed to work with their bodies, with circuitry built just for the camera's. Whereas the 3rd parties don't have the proprietary information that the camera manufactures have, and they 3rd parties have to reverse engineer the OEM lens to make a similar product. The problem lies herein: after a while, camera makes may make a change to the bodies (Nikon does this alot) and the camera's chip doesn't communicate with the older 3rd Party lenses correctly so things don't work right. Case and point: My 2.8 lens now will read 3fstop. I called Sigma, and they said its because the chip in my lens is out dated and won't communicate with my camera correctly.

Also the camera manufacturers in creating their lenses specifically for their bodies, patent and copyright their glass design to get the most efficient and consistent picture out of the different pieces of glass, whereas the 3rd parties have to re-arrange the glass and re-shape it in order to not infringe on the OEM patents, which is why you'll hear (not always) that distortion on certain lenses is bad, or softness in the corners more so than the OEM lenses.

THAT BEING said, I say, when looking at a 3rd party lens, look at their used value on KEH, if they resale high, then they are generally a desired lens, and you can recover a good portion of your costs when the time comes and you want to upgrade your lens.

For the record, I have two sigma lenses, the 10-20mm, and the 70-210 2.8 They do the job, but when the time comes I will drop that 70-210 for a nikkor 70-200 in a heart beat, not just because of name brand, but of speed in focusing, compatibility and reliability.

11. Nov 17, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    this part confused me

12. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Buy the best one for the task. Who cares who made it?

13. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    agreed.

14. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    hpvds

hpvds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manie
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2010 4x4 Doublecab
    Ironman 4x4 FCP lift, ARB bumper, NL Dual bats, Skids and sliders
    I have Tokina's 11-16mm 2.8 and its a great lens I absolutely love it. Tokina's products that I have used in the past are really good. There are some 3rd party I would avoid... Quantery, Tamron (I'm not a fan) Sigma's are hit and miss.

Cool fact of the day though: Tokina was actually founded by a bunch of former Nikon Engineers though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokina

15. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    i agree with the hit and miss part for sigma...then its settled. im hetting that 16-28mm!

16. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    there are a few factors in play when it comes to third party lenses... i have used Tokina, Tamron, and Quantaray over the years to cut costs, but in the end, all of those lenses ended up in the trash or on ebay...

at web size resolution, they were decent lenses, but in a heavy volume environment at high resolution print size, they got soft fast...

im sure by now they have greatly improved, but if you are trying to make a living out of your photography, it would be best to invest in the higher end glass...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    i absolutely agree with this. BUT on the same token until i can get some pro nikkor glass, i can do the exact same thing for almost half the price. and im not doing gallery sized prints. im hardly doing any prints for that matter.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    yah.. if not in need of prints and not shooting everyday, then non pro glass will suffice...

19. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:41 PM
    THXEY

THXEY [OP] Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    well i shoot almost everyday but i think that tokina will do just fine for now :)

20. Nov 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    I haven't had any problems with my sigma's. I know there are some cases of AF problems with some canon sigma's but they have a 4 year warranty and that isn't something that a trip to sigma for a new lens or calibration wont fix. Its well worth it for the lenses that have the same IQ for less than half the price. I know the sigma 50/1.4 is said to give the canon 50L a run for its money and it a lot of guys are saying that the new sigma 85/1.4 is as good if not better than the canon 85L.

You really just have to read reviews and figure out what is best for you and your wallet.

I know I wouldn't mind taking a sigma, tokina, tamron over a canon in some cases. In fact all I own are sigma's right now because they work great for me, the IQ is great and it allows me to have three lenses when I would probably only own one if I stuck with canon lenses

Products Discussed in

To Top