LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

I want to start photography.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Name: randy
pwrstrk02's Tacoma Gallery
I want to start photography.

My goal is to do family photos and pet photos.
Could you give me a list of product and price of what one needs to produce a quality picture.
I have a 35mm that I havnt touched in years. I have two lenses with it also. Will those cross fit? They are cannon, one is standard and the other it a zoom. I quit taking pics with it because I got tired of paying for a roll of film just for a couple of pics.
I'm in the need for a new computer also. So what programs would I need also.
I'm not going to ask what kind of computer because I know where that will lead to. But I think I'm going with an apple.
How do you get your final picture? Do you print or do you take it to a store?
Also where is the best place on the net to recearch photo "stuff"?

Thanks in advance.
Randy.

Here are a couple of pics of my little girl for your enjoyment.
Camera was an iPhone4.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
so are you looking to get a new camera or use the one you have?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
pwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to beholdpwrstrk02 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, new digital camera.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
oh thats what i thought i just wanted to make sure, but i think you should go with a nikon d3100 or d5000, i have a d3000 and i love it, but those two are better haha

as far as the lens, i think some old film lenses for nikon work with newer cameras too, so i think you would need a canon for it to work.

programs: photoshop and lightroom, you can get a trial from the adobe website and see how you like them, the only problem with those is that they are expensive haha, there is also gimp, it is free but a little harder to use than photoshop IMO

i havent done any prints yet so i cant comment, but im sure there are definitely people here who could comment.

hope i helped a little bit!

also have you checked out some of the photography threads here?
Old 11-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #6

i have checked a lot of the threads and am learning alot. there is still a crap load to learn as i go. but for starting, i wasnt sure where to start. i need to do a lot more youtubing and on line learning. i have the whole point and shoot thing down, but everything after the shoot, im clueless for now.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #7

113tac's Tacoma Gallery
yeah im still learning a lot too, heres a website you should check out http://www.kenrockwell.com/ ive seen a few people on here refer to it, and its a pretty good website
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
You say you have the point and shoot down. if your upgrading to a DSLR it's a little more then point and shoot. I mean sure the lower end bodes have auto modes but if you plan on shooting in auto mode you might as well just buy a nice point and shoot.

So about your lenses if you stick with Canon you should be able to use the lenses keep in mind on the lower end bodes your older lenses might not fully work. I don't really know about Canon but I know Nikon is like that. I say if you have good glass stick with Canon and buy a semi pro body like the 5D Mark II. if your on a budget go with the 7D just make sure your lenses work with it first.

If your wanting to buy all new equipment Nikon or Canon. Don't buy a kit buy a good mid level body and great lenses. The lenses is where you want your money to go so if your on a budget buy an entry level body and a pro lenses. You can produce better images with a great lens and a entry level body then a semi pro body and a kit lens. That's the one thing to remember buy great lenses that will last you a life time because you will replace the bodes every few years.

Another thing to remember your getting into an expensive hobby/trade it's going to cost 1000's if you plan on doing this as a payed hobby.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #9
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
yeah im still learning a lot too, heres a website you should check out http://www.kenrockwell.com/ ive seen a few people on here refer to it, and its a pretty good website

He is biased. Good site, but for the beginner, his advice is useless.