Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Bought a new digital camera...need SD card help

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Bought a new digital camera...need SD card help

What specifications do I need to look for when buying an SD card? Should it be class 6 or is class 4 enough?

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 8x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...2861520&sr=8-1

Can I get an $18 card off Tiger Direct?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...265&CatId=3673

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a 6$ class 4 4gb card from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class...864179&sr=8-13

If you want to do any kind of video, get a class 6. better speed for HD video.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Don't skimp on a card. They are cheep enough to buy a quality card.
Buy a name brand, I have used SanDisk for ten years and never had a problem. I don't know of anyone personally, but I have read where cards have become corrupt and all of the images were lost. COSTCO is a good place to pick up cards, I would pick up at least a 4 gig card.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Fletch. I figured a decent card was important and would not buy an off-brand name. I was thinking either Kingston or SanDisk.

But will I see any noticeable difference between a Class 4 and a Class 6? What does this affect? I'm trying to research it but have trouble understanding the technical jargon.

I plan to get at least 8GB because the camera shoots HD video.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post

But will I see any noticeable difference between a Class 4 and a Class 6? What does this affect? I'm trying to research it but have trouble understanding the technical jargon.
From what I understand, the camera will write to the card at the same speed.
B&H Photo has the 8 gig card for $26.00

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...HC_Memory.html
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 10mp panasonic digital camera. Can't think of the specific model. SD card is important if you like to use the burst mode on your camera. I use my that way all the time. My primary reason is taking sport mode pictures without flash. I do a lot of hunting and this allows me to take pictures of birds flushing. I had an older SD card and found that after taking several pictures the camera would stop to download the data. With a better SD card it allowed me to take many more pictures without the camera doing a brain dump in the middle. Most any new card with high down load speeds will fill the bill. good luck
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Asgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsgard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Asgard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I would've bought. Good choice !
Old 12-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
That's a great deal!

Products Discussed in this Thread