Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Nikon D7000

Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Nikon D7000

Has anyone used/bought one yet? I'm still pondering as to whether or not I should buy the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8, D7000, or wait for the D400. Maybe even buy the 17-55 and wait for the D400...so many options =/.

I've had my D80 for about 4 years now and have been getting irritated with it's poor iso performance . I'm looking for the same button layout as the D300/s and also good low light performance (can't afford FX). Lenses I currently have are the 50mm 1.8d, 16-85mm VR, and 70-300mm VR.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Viet has the D7000, maybe he could help you out.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I just got it. Love it. Will tell more later.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
I just got it. Love it. Will tell more later.
Niiice! Let me know what lenses you used with it too
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
The one piece of advice I give everyone is invest in your lenses first...then upgrade your camera!! I can get just as good quality shots with my 5+ year old D70s and nice quality lens then someone shotting with a new camera! It's all about the glass people! Jump on that 17-55 f2.8 I WAS EXTREMELY happy with that lens on my D70s it performed flawless even in low light situations!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
I have had it for about 2 months or so, I love it. I am still getting used to it but so far its a amazing camera, esp since I got 2 32gb cards for it. I still shoot with my d70 every now and then but now that im getting used to everything, my d70 is getting less and less use. I really like being about to shoot hd video, still have tons to learn but im getting there.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
If you never plan to move to full frame, then the 17-55 is a great lens (DX only though.) You are more likely to see better shots with better glass than a better body.

But I know what you mean about low light (high ISO) performance. I had a D300, which was pretty decent at higher ISOs. But the D700 and D3 just kicked its butt, and then the D3S came out, and kicked everybody's butt. I rented a D3S, which was a huge mistake. I learned what I was missing, so I had to make a change. Couldn't quite swing a new D3S, but a used D3 was within reach...

I ended up selling my D300 and bought a used D3. So now I'm shooting full frame, and have a solid, usable ISO range from 200 to 6400. That and my fast glass collection, and low light stuff doesn't stand in the way anymore.

My bag:
Nikon D3
Nikkor 17-35 f2.8
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8D
Nikkor 70-200 VRI
Nikon SB-900
Nikon SB-600

The D7000 has good higher ISO performance. DXO Mark gives it a low light ISO score of 1167.http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/...rs/Nikon/D7000

That is quite a bit better than the D300S (787), but about half of what a D3 can do (2290.) The top of the heap is the D3S, which rates at 3253!!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #8
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
why do each of you shoot nikon? i shoot canon simply out of habit and familiarity..a bit ignorant i suppose. enlighten me
Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I upgraded to the D7000 from the D40 simply because of the 2.5 fps to 6 fps, and low light. It is ridiculous up to 6400 ISO. On top of those, the body is larger and feels better in my hands. Everything else is just a plus. I was too, looking at getting the Tokina 11-16mm for the D40, but it could wait.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
why do each of you shoot nikon? i shoot canon simply out of habit and familiarity..a bit ignorant i suppose. enlighten me
You answered the question yourself...Nikon is all I have ever shot. It's familiarity...I'll be shotting with a Canon all of next week during KOH so I will be able to give a really fair comparison of which I like more (But I am biased towards Nikon because it's what I know). I am a bit nervous as I don't really know the workings of a Canon, but I am pretty sure an hour or so with it and I will have it figured out. So we'll see how it goes and how much I like it...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i Shoot nikon because i think canons button layout is extremely confusing. and i dont like the colors from canon. my parents shot nikon, and nikon was my first camera.

but i dont care if you shoot nikon, canon, sony, leica ( ), olympus or freaking pentax, as long as your producing images, it doesnt matter!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
sweet, thanks for replying guys
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #13
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
sweet, thanks for replying guys
Yea it's really a personal preference. But once you have so many lenses made by a certain company, you get locked in and would loose money if you switch over to a different camera maker.

Thanks for all the comments on the D7000! It's a really tuff choice. I don't plan on moving to full frame for a long time (1-3 years) unless I score a high paying job.

Has anyone ever shot with the tamron 17-50mm 2.8? I hear its a great alternative...but of course the Nikon 17-55 is better.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitmo View Post
Yea it's really a personal preference. But once you have so many lenses made by a certain company, you get locked in and would loose money if you switch over to a different camera maker.

Thanks for all the comments on the D7000! It's a really tuff choice. I don't plan on moving to full frame for a long time (1-3 years) unless I score a high paying job.

Has anyone ever shot with the tamron 17-50mm 2.8? I hear its a great alternative...but of course the Nikon 17-55 is better.

Tamron 17-50 is awesome! Go Google it!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
The Photo Ninja!

Ehhh you all know how I feel about off brand lenses!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRMarlon View Post
Ehhh you all know how I feel about off brand lenses!
me too! BUT there are some out there i do like. but me personally i would never buy third party
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #17

Btw, the 3D tracking is fuckin ridic.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #18

You should use it for snow boarders.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #19
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
You should use it for snow boarders.
So what would you guys recommend?...I might be able to trade my D7000 for a tokina 11-16mm 2.8 with $600 cash to offset the difference. He said he just bought the lens two months ago and is in perfect condition.

(Yes I did buy the D7000 before this thread out of impulse because I found one locally but I just haven't fully tested it. I'd rather get some nice glass instead.)

Also, I found a prestine Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 on craigslist for $775!! So with $175 more I'll have two real nice lenses..

Is the D7000 worth having over those two lenses? I know it depends on what/how I shoot and what I need, etc..
Old 02-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #20
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
Seems like you answered your own question
Haha pretty much, figured I would just ask for some reassurance xD.