LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Tamron Lens

Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Tamron Lens

Hey, I have a Canon XSI and I was thinking about gettign a Wide angle Lens. The Canon 12-24mm is kinda steep in price right now for me. But I found a Tamron 10-24mm. It has good reviews, just wondering if any of you guys had any thoughts. Right now I have the kit lens 18-55 and the 50-250mm. I really like the look the wide angle gives, and teh Tamron is in the $450 range.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to get a third-party wide-angle lens for Canon APS-C sensor, then the one to get is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
If you're going to get a third-party wide-angle lens for Canon APS-C sensor, then the one to get is the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
x2
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I haev looked at the Tokina as well. I just sat the Tamron was down to about $450. Would I be making a bad decision by not choosing the Tokina?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
sigma 10-20mm ex dc hsm is pretty good too
Old 03-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any experience with Tamron's 10-24mm but i have been using their 17-50 f2.8 for about a year and I have enjoyed it. One thing that can take some getting used to is that the zoom ring works in the opposite direction of our canon lens... you get used to it pretty quickly though. Also the zoom action takes a bit more force than some lenses. Image quality I feel is great for the price point. AF is a bit noisy but plenty quick in most situations. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #7

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I just got into photography and I would really like to get a wide angle w/o spending too much $$$. Reading reviews can be confusing for a noob. From what I have gathered the last few days, the Tamron reviews are either decent, or bad. The Tokina 11-16mm has pretty good reviews, ill do more research.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
I think that its kinda the same as any other hobby/profession, you really get what you pay for in terms of quality and can't expect to get $1000 quality or longevity out of a $500 lens. Just gotta decide how much it's worth to you and go with the best reviewed product in your price range
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the Tokina. I've got a Tokina 12-24 F4, and it's awesome. If you look for some comparisons, it edges out some of the factory glass from Nikon and Canon in a few tests. Best non-Nikon lens I've ever bought.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post
I think that its kinda the same as any other hobby/profession, you really get what you pay for in terms of quality and can't expect to get $1000 quality or longevity out of a $500 lens. Just gotta decide how much it's worth to you and go with the best reviewed product in your price range
^^^this is pretty true. I have a Tamron 70-300 paid $100 for it, thats it. For what I use it for...it gets the job done. Love the Tamron. As somewhat of a noob in photography myself, I will say to practice shooting more and learn everything you can about the camera, shooting, lenses, and then make your decision. I bought my lens just recently and have been shooting for 6 months. Just my .02. Get used to the camera and figure out what you want in a lens then go from there.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
wide angle = tokina

i would stay away from everything tamron makes except their mid range zooms. (2.8's)

the tokina 16-28 2.8 is said to give a lot of lenses a run for their money.. the 11-16 is great too