Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Canon 5D Mirror Recall

Old 04-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Bmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to all

Name: Raymond
Bmxcast00's Tacoma Gallery
Canon 5D Mirror Recall

Has anyone here sent in their Canon 5D mk 1 for the mirror reinforcement service?

Just purchased a used body from a %100 positive feedback seller on ebay. And now, 30 frames into my possession, the mirror has detached. I would like to believe the seller had no prior knowledge of this. But the thought is still lingering that she sold it because she didnít want to deal with a loose mirror flopping around inside a $1,000 camera.

Is there any fees for this mirror reinforcement service?

How long should I expect to be without a camera?

Iím sure these questions will be answered tomorrow when I call Canon. But was wondering how the experience is from a consumerís point of view.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
No experience with this, but your news posting link did say free of charge. But with any recall, I would think you'll be without it for a short time.

Frank
Old 04-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Bmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to allBmxcast00 is a name known to all

Thanks Frank. I'm calling them in a few so hopefully both you and the article are correct.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Every time I've called Canon they have been really helpful and knowledgeable. Im sure they'll take care of you.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Just talked to a very helpful canon employee. I should be expecting an email with a return label and she said the whole process should take 10 business days after they receive the camera in Irvine, CA. Totally free.

If you or know anyone that has a canon 5D I suggest you take full advantage of this service and cleaning.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxcast00 View Post
....the whole process should take 10 business days after they receive the camera in Irvine, CA. Totally free.
Glad that worked out for you. Free is always the right price, and 10 days is a pretty good turn-around for recall/warranty work.

Frank
Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
10 business days is too long for me... i would rather pay at Samys for their 2 day turnaround...

i have never heard about the recall and so far i have been lucky with my 5D body...

gives me an excuse now though to buy another body... hehehe
Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
That recall dates to Q1 2009. It's kind of irresponsible for anyone with a 5D to not have sent in their camera two years ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #9

As stated above, I just purchased the camera body so I didn't have it 2 years ago. Original owner maybe didn't get the emails or notifications.
But luckily it's getting fixed and cleaned now.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
ocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant futureocabj has a brilliant future
ocabj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxcast00 View Post
As stated above, I just purchased the camera body so I didn't have it 2 years ago. Original owner maybe didn't get the emails or notifications.
But luckily it's getting fixed and cleaned now.
Wasn't implying it was your fault. I'm implying it's the fault of the original owner. I guess it's feasible that the owner never got a notification. There are casual consumers who do buy upper tier dSLR cameras and don't bother with maintenance.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #11

The "Canon Happy Train" just got derailed by a $308 fee to replace the shutter because it had 95,000ish actuations and the shutter is rated at 100,000. So they say in order to replace the mirror they have to replace the shutter. Major bummer
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
$300 is a drop in the bucket for a camera that is a great workhorse when it's up and running again...

i'll give you $500 for it as-is

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
$300 is a drop in the bucket for a camera that is a great workhorse when it's up and running again...

i'll give you $500 for it as-is

Haha sorry, no can do dude