LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Flash Photography ~ Pocket Wizard Help!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Flash Photography ~ Pocket Wizard Help!

So i am fairly new to flash....but what would i need along side the Pocket Wizard Plus II to accomodate for an SB-600 and SB-700?

I would mainly use them for skateboard photography. So, pocket wizards website says i can only use a shutter speed of up to 1/250th sec. Is there any way of getting around that? so i could shoot say 1/500th or 1/1250th sec?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Once you go faster then recommended you'll get a black cut off cause the aperture is to fast. idk bout the sb700 but you can just put it in the same CH maybe?..
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I know the SB-900 has a high speed sync but it's not that great 1/250th should be plenty fast enough to stop the motion of the skate boarder.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #4
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
sync speeds on most cams is typically up to 1/200th of a second... if you go any faster, you will likely end up with half shots... half the final image will be completely black like a curtain, and the other half will be the image...

unless the skaters are flying by at 50mph, you should be ok shooting at 1/200

since you have fast primes though, i would go without the flash...

i shot some mag ads for Ocean Current and went with a fast prime instead of flash...

Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
I want your job! Lol
Old 05-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Mike, i'm going to have to respectfully disagree....Yeah there are ways of getting around it. But i dont wanna get around it. 9 times out of 10 skating looks better with flash than with out. But you do have experience over me so, to each their own i guess! I tried shooting skating without flash. its hard. and i can get my flash to sync up, up to 1/8000th but but thats on camera. i hear you need the pocket wizard mini to accomodate high shutter speeds. I would rather use a high shutter speed than a low one.

and i found out that pocket wizard doesnt work with sb 600 and sb 700. so i would need to spend $1000 on two SB 900s lol
Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
sync speeds on most cams is typically up to 1/200th of a second... if you go any faster, you will likely end up with half shots... half the final image will be completely black like a curtain, and the other half will be the image...
weird. iv'e never experienced this with my SB-600 and shooting at 8fps... at 1/1250th sec.... or even higher shutter speeds. My flash keeps up for the most part. I will have shots where the flash skips a shot, but thats only at 1/1 power (full power)
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
ya know, i haven't shot Nikon since the film days... maybe your shutter curtains can accomodate the higher shutter speeds with strobes...
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery

But even my buddy shoots a Canon 7D and he has the 580ex and I dont think its ever happened to him. i should ask though.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a set of skyports i'd sell you. they are incredible, cheaper than pocketwizards and they work just as well, or better!

pm me if your interested. i'll dig em out!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Panda Jerk

THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I've got a set of skyports i'd sell you. they are incredible, cheaper than pocketwizards and they work just as well, or better!

pm me if your interested. i'll dig em out!
pm'd!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #12
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
You'll want something that supports high speed sync. Basically, that black "curtain" you see is the shutter. It happens because the flash and shutter are not synchronized.

Remember too that in flash photography whether you fire the flash first or last does matter. If you shoot skate with second curtain flash, you might end up with a slight OOF streak behind the subject (the flash freezes the action in this case and can look pretty cool). With High Speed Sync, the flash simply fires multiple times lighting the entire frame and avoiding the "black curtain". Firing in HSS, you won't get massive quantity of light because the flash fires multiple times (in other words, you're not going to get multiple 100% flashes) but you can use less power.

Whether you use flash or not is irrelevant. What matters is your shots are properly exposed. Me personally? I'm not a fan of crazy dark backgrounds and nuclear subjects--it gets boring because that's how everything gets lit (or so it seems).

Regarding bursts and full power. Be careful. You can damage the flash when you use it continuously--they aren't designed to fire like that.

Here are a few hints on the subject of HSS.