1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Video on DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by sammy87, May 9, 2011.

1. May 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    Picture quality is only 720p with a digital(!) zoom. Audio quality is non-existant. In order to get the footage from the camera to your computer via USB, the compression destroys the bitrate and leads to a choppy imagery.

It has an internal lithium-ion battery which puts a serious damper on your day when you cannot change out batteries. There's no manual iris or focus. It has no white balance. It has no ND filters or gain. It has no attachment capabilities aside from Flip-designed options.

FlipCam is the best-marketed piece of crap to hit the audio-video industry.

The only thing it has going for it is that it's cheap. But, like most things, you get what you pay for.

2. May 12, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    You have to look at it both ways. Some people simply use it for recreation. 720p=smaller files easier to manage.

The USB is great when you don't have to carry around a cord.

No attachments? What about the auxillary inputs, underwater case, wide angle lens, and I'm pretty sure they have a tiny tipod too. Just sayin...

The battery life is great. Yes I have one and the best thing is it plugs right into my laptop, computer, or car stereo and charges so no problems there.

Yes it has no manual focus, white balance, yada yada it has 1 button. 1 big red button in the middle that records. That is the simplicity some people want. I could go on about why people like them.

They are one of the most simple, durable, entry level recorders and are cheap. Far from poo if you ask me. :p

3. May 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    Toph

Toph Addicted to V8s

Member:
    Just get a cell phone that records video.

The 7d is one of the last canons I would get for video...same video quality as the t2i, double the price, and auto gain that cannot be turned off. Last I checked...still haven't developed magic lantern for it.

4. May 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    The Yellow Dart

The Yellow Dart Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 //SR5 4x4
    OME 2.5" Lift, TC UCAs, LEER Cap, Sleeping platform, PA20-TOY
    If you like it, then I'm glad it works for you. There certainly are other entry-level camcorders which are bigger piles than the Flip.

I work as a video professional (I edit and shoot video on a daily basis, in many formats, including FlipCam from time to time). I understand the simplicity aspect of the FlipCam -- but it is just a piece of junk that is no better than the camera on your cell phone. That's not to mention that the manufacturer is no longer going to produce the device after 2011.

Anyway, the topic of the thread was dSLRs with video, and the FlipCam is not a dSLR, so it's kind of a moot point.

Sorry, OP for getting off-track.

5. May 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    For what you are trying to do the T2i would be perfect. Ability to change your lense if you want and it shoots great quality video. I have the T1i and tho there a bunch higher end, with the 50mm fixed and the 8mm fisheye, video is sweet. T2i

Products Discussed in

To Top