Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Video on DSLR

Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Video on DSLR

Hey I have a Canon XSI and it's been a great camera, but it does not have video. I was looking at camcorders at BB the other day and thought to my self if only I bought the T1i or something I wouldn't be here. I dont know anyone that uses them that much, just wondering if anyone has any experience using a DSLR for video and how it is. I'm not trying to make any movies or anything just record short clips of my dog and other random things.

I was thinking on trying to sell the body of my xsi and maybe getting a t2i. Anyway just wondering if anyone has any input?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
keep the xsi and buy a camcorder. I have a T1i and the video is pretty useless since it's strictly manual focus (you can do auto but you have to hit a button to get it to focus every time and its super loud).
Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I think the Nikon D3100 and D5100 have auto focus video. But its better to just get one of the little pocket camcorders. Kodak Playsport for instance.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
The Yellow Dart's Tacoma Gallery
Canon 5D and 7D are the industry leaders in dSLR video technology. In many commercial applications they are replacing traditional cameras for video because of the flexibility in lenses.

They are also very pricey. A new 5D will run you close to $5K, and that's without a lens.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
scollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shedscollins is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Scott
scollins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yellow Dart View Post
Canon 5D and 7D are the industry leaders in dSLR video technology. In many commercial applications they are replacing traditional cameras for video because of the flexibility in lenses.

They are also very pricey. A new 5D will run you close to $5K, and that's without a lens.
5D's aren't even close to that. $2700 shipped (body only) from B&H Photo.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
The Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Yellow Dart is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
5D's aren't even close to that. $2700 shipped (body only) from B&H Photo.
Good point. They've come down since I was researching them.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

7D
Old 05-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Gitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant futureGitmo has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
Gitmo's Tacoma Gallery
If you can afford it, 5d because it is FX. If not but you can afford the 7d, then that is an absolute great dslr for video. Even the 60d is good for video, but my choice would be in this order depending on what you can afford...

5d --> 7d --> 60d

Note - Going FX does require buying costly lenses!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
sammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsammy87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
5D is def out of my price range. I know all the new DSLR's have HD video like the 3100, D5000,. T1i, and T2i, but I just want video for my dog being stupid, vacation stuff ect. I didn't how effective a DSLR would be for that. To me it seems it would be akward to film with a DSLR. I've read different reviews.

I also want to upgrade my lens from my 18-55mm and 55-250mm, so I'm trying to stay as economical as possible.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Tidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
HD FLIP CAM FTW
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
5D is def out of my price range. I know all the new DSLR's have HD video like the 3100, D5000,. T1i, and T2i, but I just want video for my dog being stupid, vacation stuff ect. I didn't how effective a DSLR would be for that. To me it seems it would be akward to film with a DSLR. I've read different reviews.

I also want to upgrade my lens from my 18-55mm and 55-250mm, so I'm trying to stay as economical as possible.
I say get a camcorder then.

as far as lenses, the Canon 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 70-200 f/4L should work well
Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #12

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
I was leaning towards a camcorder.

As far as lenses I was looking at the canon 18-200mm. That way I wouldnt need the 2 I have now. I also would like to get a wide angle lens too, but I have a wedding coming up that's eating into my budget.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:

As far as lenses I was looking at the canon 18-200mm. That way I wouldnt need the 2 I have now. I also would like to get a wide angle lens too, but I have a wedding coming up that's eating into my budget.
looks pretty good. For wide angle look at the Tokina. I think its an 11-16mm.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #14

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
looks pretty good. For wide angle look at the Tokina. I think its an 11-16mm.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Ha I looked up those 2 lenses you mentioned....I wish I could drop 2k on them.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidrow View Post
HD FLIP CAM FTW
I hope this is a joke.

1.) FlipCam is poop.

2.) They aren't going to be making them anymore.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Ha I looked up those 2 lenses you mentioned....I wish I could drop 2k on them.
yeah thats why I put the after. I have the same 2 lenses you have now and love them. Not so good in low light though because of the small apertures.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Tidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I hope this is a joke.

1.) FlipCam is poop.

2.) They aren't going to be making them anymore.

Care to offer any reasons they are poop? Please do...
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #18

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey I have a Canon XSI and it's been a great camera, but it does not have video. I was looking at camcorders at BB the other day and thought to my self if only I bought the T1i or something I wouldn't be here. I dont know anyone that uses them that much, just wondering if anyone has any experience using a DSLR for video and how it is. I'm not trying to make any movies or anything just record short clips of my dog and other random things.

I was thinking on trying to sell the body of my xsi and maybe getting a t2i. Anyway just wondering if anyone has any input?

Thanks
HD FLIP CAM!!! Somebody tell me why not?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #19
TanderSON is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
TanderSON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

superzooms are generally lower quality than primes. depends on what you want to do...the option of the large focal range may be the best for what you need.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #20

Air Force:
sammy87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanderSON View Post
superzooms are generally lower quality than primes. depends on what you want to do...the option of the large focal range may be the best for what you need.
Yeah I read that about that lens, I was interested in it for traveling (1 lens). But I'm just recreational, I like to take nice pics wherever I go. I read the 18-200 is still better than the Kit lenses I have. So idk.