Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Need advice on choosing a DSLR.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Shiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant futureShiftytaco has a brilliant future

Name: Joey
Shiftytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice on choosing a DSLR.

So I need you Photo Gurus' advice on picking a Camera. I have my mind set on a Canon, but torn between 2 models. T1i and the T2i. Keep in mind I am a complete noob when it comes to DSLRs and this will be my first camera. Basically, I am wondering should i pony up the extra 200 bucks for the t2i? As a beginner will i even know the difference between the 2? Is one more future proof then the other? I know the whole HD video feature is cool (maybe even useful) but not the purpose of buying this camera. I care more about quality of pictures. Thanks for the Help in advance.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly in the long run I would say the T2i. I don't know all that much about the T1i. The T2i will be my next upgrade most likely (I have the Rebel XS). The reason I say the T2i is because I have heard great things from it. And if you really enjoy taking pictures you will wish you would have sucked it up and paid that extra $200. At least I know I do and I have had my camera about 7-8 months.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to bump this thread rather than make a new one.

I am looking to get my stepdaughter a DSLR for Christmas. She has been using my old Olympus DSLR and has been taking some great shots. I want to get her something for herself to explore the hobby. I would like to keep he budget under $900 with 2 lenses, if possible.

My Dad has the Canon t3i and loves it, but he is hardly an expert.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
That's a fact Jack!
Pope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPope953 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wesley
Pope953's Tacoma Gallery
John, copy and paste your question in the Official Photography Thread and you will get your question answered rather quickly. A lot of helpful guys in there.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #6

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Wesley. I figured that was for posting pics, but I will give it a shot.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 AM   #7
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked up a Nikon D3100 a few weeks back. We've been very impressed so far. $600 from Best Buy (sale price).

Mike
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
All i can say is do your research between the different models. If it was me, i would stick with the 2 big brands...Nikon/Canon.

Do you want a time lapse mode? A remote? Video? 720/1080? Autofocus in the lenses or body? You know, do your research. Canon T2i, Nikon D5000, Canon T3i, Nikon D5100. Those are 4 of the mid range cameras.