Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Buying used DSL-R

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Buying used DSL-R

Hey guys, looking for some advice on here. My point and shoot just took a crap after 5 years. Great camera (olympus stylus 720sw). I am looking to replace it with a used DSL-R. I have pretty much decided on the Nikon D5000 but am not sure what kinds of things I should pay close attention to when buying used. I would rather buy new but funds will not allow me to do that and I will be needing the camera relatively soon. I have NEVER operated a DSL-R before so I am completely new to this world.

Are there any sites online you guys use for used camera stuff? Hesitant to use ebay but I know you can score some awesome deals on there if you know what your looking for.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
i got a few off craigslist, that way you can meet up and test out the camera. other than that, you can get refurbished stuff from websites like buy.com. my t2i is refurbished and it's performed flawlessly ever since i got it
Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
i got a few off craigslist, that way you can meet up and test out the camera. other than that, you can get refurbished stuff from websites like buy.com. my t2i is refurbished and it's performed flawlessly ever since i got it
thank you. I will check buy.com out as well
Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yea.. check bhpphotovideo.com (i buy a lot of stuff there) they have refurb and overstock and amazon do as well..those are bigger names so it sits easier with your soul lol.

one thing i found when looking for cameras, if you come across an amazing deal with a price thats lightyears below everyone else, it's a scam..
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
D-SLR
Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Adamantium Member
damnitzryan is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
damnitzryan's Tacoma Gallery
How much did you find a used D5000 for? From a quick search, it seems like a new one is about $100 more... If you can wait and save an extra $100 I'd definitely do it. I'd rather have a brand new one to have that ease of mind. If theres anything wrong with the used one at all, it may cost even more to fix, and there's always that down time as well.

Good luck and welcome to the world of digital SLRs!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #7

Firefighter:
Quote:
yea.. check bhpphotovideo.com (i buy a lot of stuff there) they have refurb and overstock and amazon do as well..those are bigger names so it sits easier with your soul lol.

one thing i found when looking for cameras, if you come across an amazing deal with a price thats lightyears below everyone else, it's a scam..
Thanks! I have always said "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't". haha I was checking out that BHP site. They seem to have pretty decent deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
D-SLR
oops
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
taking the leap from a point and shoot is HUGE. and if you're not into editing, photoshop etc you may not really get the full benefit from a DSLR.

I would suggest something in the middle like the Sony H series.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
taking the leap from a point and shoot is HUGE. and if you're not into editing, photoshop etc you may not really get the full benefit from a DSLR.

that's a good point. although, with a little time and effort, you can smash out pics from lightroom/photoshop
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbiker2008 View Post
Thanks! I have always said "if it's too good to be true, it probably isn't". haha I was checking out that BHP site. They seem to have pretty decent deals.

oops
Big reason to buy new is that nikon's warranty does not transfer (at least on lenses). They will deny service if you don't have the original reciept + necessary paperwork...

Sumthin to keep in mind
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that's a good point. although, with a little time and effort, you can smash out pics from lightroom/photoshop

I would just hate to see someone purchase a camera that will never be used to its full potential (nothing against you Aaron ) when something that costs a fraction will work just as well for their needs. I know I did a lot of research when I purchased my first DSLR a couple of years ago and I'm still researching and learning how to use the darn thing! And researching to purchase another before years end.

And Aaron, I know you're a hiker like me...have you considered what its like to lug around a DSLR, spare lens, and tripod everywhere? Its not fun believe me! I've actually considered purshasing a P & S for hikes when I don't want to worry about my camera.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #12

Firefighter:
Quote:

Thanks! I will definitely look in to that. I am horrible with photo shop so That camera will definitely be considered.
Quote:
I have tried screwing around with p.s. and it left me down right confused. lol I would have to do a LOT of learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpvds View Post
Big reason to buy new is that nikon's warranty does not transfer (at least on lenses). They will deny service if you don't have the original reciept + necessary paperwork...

Sumthin to keep in mind
Thanks! Didn't know how the warranties worked with those cameras.
Quote:

And Aaron, I know you're a hiker like me...have you considered what its like to lug around a DSLR, spare lens, and tripod everywhere? Its not fun believe me! I've actually considered purshasing a P & S for hikes when I don't want to worry about my camera.
Thanks Lisa. You make a very good point. I loved that camera I had because it was shockproof/waterproof. Never needed to worry about it getting wet.

hm... decisions decisions.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Man of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Man of War's Tacoma Gallery

Dude, it's all a matter of preference and needs, everyone here will havetheir own opinion on brand and types. You need to ask yourself what type ofphotography and how in-depth you want to get.

I have a Canon 30D, not the newest DSLR but it serves it purpose and myphotos are great (IMO) . It's not convenient to lugaround the three lenses I have but they cover the full spectrum and range. I dohave a little Point and Shoot, with HD Video, I use for those can't lug my DSLRaround moments, and it works great.

Again figure out how manual you want to get a work from there.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #14

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
^ hiking with $1000 hanging around your neck is a new experience altogether! I can't tell you how many times I've backtracked and rerouted my path because I was worried about potential harm to my camera. And I've suffered many bumps, bruises and scrapes because when you stumble on the trail your instinct becomes not to protect yourself but to protect your camera...at least for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Them's why you get a good pack and stuff the camera in it's camera bag in there.

But what do I know, I still shoot with 35mm on my AT-1 and AE-1 Program.