Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

How do I clean my DSLR?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Tonzino is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
Tonzino's Tacoma Gallery
How do I clean my DSLR?

I have had my camera for about 2 years now and in that time its gotten pretty dirty (fingerprints from my fat greasy fingers mainly). What are some techniques you guys use to clean your equipment?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonzino View Post
I have had my camera for about 2 years now and in that time its gotten pretty dirty (fingerprints from my fat greasy fingers mainly). What are some techniques you guys use to clean your equipment?

The sensor or the body its self? I just wipe with a cloth.

Everytime I shoot my camera gets super dusty.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #4

Tonzino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS78 View Post
i use one of these for the sensor and a microfiber cloth and lens pens for the lenses

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3
nice, I think I might have bought one of those at one point. I'll take a look.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #5

Tonzino's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
The sensor or the body its self? I just wipe with a cloth.

Everytime I shoot my camera gets super dusty.
Mainly the glass on the lens itself, but the camera could use a good wipe down.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
On the glass lens I use a microfiber towel.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
On the glass lens I use a microfiber towel.
X2 i carry a microfiber towel in my bag for my glass but when it comes to my sensor i use the Delkin Devices Sensor Scope
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
I use a dual-sided lens pen. They're less than $10 and have a brush on one side and a small soft pad on the other.

Other than that, I'm anal about keeping covers on the body-end of my lenses. It works well for me but I don't shoot much in desert or dusty conditions.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
CAPS CAPS CAPS!
asphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedasphaltpilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, B Co, 1st BN, 6th MAR ('93 - '97)
Name: Jason
asphaltpilot's Tacoma Gallery
I’m surprised how little information came with my Nikon regarding cleaning and maintenance. I’d like to get some tips and pointers regarding this.

Can the camera sensor (body) be cleaned with the same wipes/cloth as the lenses? Are there any lens cleaners or wipes that you recommend not using?

What is the maximum and minimum temperature you will expose your camera to? (I’d like to keep my camera in my truck for those spare-of-the-moment opportunities)
Are there any environmental conditions that you will not subject your camera to (ex: windy beach, snowy conditions, etc…)

How often, if ever, should the lenses and camera body be professionally cleaned and/or calibrated?

Do manufactures ever contact owners regarding firmware patches or upgrades, or do you have to actively seek them?

Any other tips and advice that you more experienced photographers can give would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
cleaning sensors should not be undertaken unless you are willing to accept that sometimes you may leave it dirtier than before you cleaned it. to test if you need a sensor clean, on a bright day, shoot at the sky with your smallest aperture(f16-f32) to get an image of the sky, and hopefully some spots on the sensor. if you do have these spots(dust, oils, lint, etc), then proceed to cleaning.

the way I do it, is this:

1. mirror lockup, face camera sensor down and blow up with an air rocket in hopes of dislodging the dust and letting gravity hopefully take its place.

2. I then set the camera on its back, and use a sensor swap with a drop of sensor cleaning solution to swab the sensor. two passes should be good with one swab.

3. once the swabbing has been complete, this next step requires two lights, a table task light(with a bendable neck so you can position the light to the sensor), and a headlamp so you can see the large pieces of lint, dust, etc. use a lenspen to "dab" any particles off of your sensor. you don't want to do any brushing strokes with your lenspen as you may damage the sensor. once you think you've gotten everything clean, go outside, or inside, and perform that same shot you did to determine if you needed a sensor clean. f16-32 shot.

use the non brush side of the lenspen to dab the sensor

3a. if you find that you haven't gotten all of the dust out of your sensor immediately after cleaning your sensor, you can skip the swabbing, and go directly to the lenspen.

edit: perform at your own risk. the solution cleans your optics really well, with a fine microfiber towel/swab.