1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Photoshop request thread

Discussion in 'Photography' started by sockmonkey, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
  2. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I actually liked this movie! Christina Ricci... :drool:

3. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Those look pretty Bad ass!

4. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    x2... she was hot as a crack whore... :D

5. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    asdf

asdf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    3" in front, stock in back, 285/75/16 BFG KM2,5% tint all around, UWS black low profile, DTRL,line-X, deckplate...
    IMAGE_075_04689384738c8d88e8304d963c85f1a9a3298ba1.jpg
    IMAGE_074_41478ff3ae2787a6db5096e1e9f86a142e5dfe5b.jpg

can someone please photoshop a grillcraft black mesh grill to my taco?... thanks in advance!

tacoma_907ce826721453260c4aaaa0ed1cbfcbec380e50.jpg

6. Jan 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Better quality pictures of the front will make for a more matched result.

7. Jan 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    asdf

asdf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner
    3" in front, stock in back, 285/75/16 BFG KM2,5% tint all around, UWS black low profile, DTRL,line-X, deckplate...
  8. Jan 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
  9. Jan 8, 2009 at 10:40 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Those of you who can actually work photoshop, thanks. Ya'lls work is great!

10. Jan 8, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    +1.
    I'd be interested in learning it too, where/how did all you guys learn to work this magic?

11. Jan 8, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    tjgraner09

tjgraner09 South Carolina Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Conway, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 XtraCab
    Bilstiein 5100 w/ TRD Coils in the front, new fog lights, 2 12" isignia subs,
    can someone put these on my truck
    xtremealloys1869_a0226b7da3cdd5612e269bcc465e55b6f96277c0.jpg
    heres a pic of the truck
    PC310005_bbde9bd74614c2e8cec5c2e6c3254174613652b8.jpg

12. Jan 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    what wheels are those?

13. Jan 8, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    tjgraner09

tjgraner09 South Carolina Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Conway, SC
    Vehicle:
    97 XtraCab
    Bilstiein 5100 w/ TRD Coils in the front, new fog lights, 2 12" isignia subs,
    they are from wheelersoffroad.com doesnt say they might manufacture their own

14. Jan 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    For me it was just trial and error and google searches. Threads like this and the Dog Contest are perfect because you can try stuff out and get tips if something isn't working out like you want.

You can get started with some free programs like GIMP or Paint.net. I use Photoshop Elements 7. It's made by Adobe and has a lot of the tools that you'd use in regular Photoshop but it's much less expensive ($89). For what I do with it, this program is more than adequate.

The biggest benefit comes with an understanding of layers. Once you get that down, the rest starts to fold into place. The rest is learning what the individual tools do. Hopefully this explanation is understandable:

You can imagine layers as a stack those clear overhead projector transparencies. You can do things on any transparency (layer) in the stack without affecting the other transparencies (layers). So for example, if I filled the bottom transparency with a picture (can't be seen through) then put another transparency on top of that picture (another layer), I could draw on the top transparency without affecting the original picture below it. As I drew on the upper layer, it would cover up the picture below it. If I were to put the solid picture on the top layer and drew on the bottom layer, I wouldn't see the result of my drawing because the picture on top blocks what you can see on the bottom (if you're doing something and don't see a result, it's possible the upper layer is blocking what you're doing so you need to reorder the layers by dragging your work layer up in the stack. You also want to make sure you have the right layer selected). So I either have to switch the order the transparencies are in, or erase some of the top picture so I could see through it. An added feature of Photoshop over my transparency illustration is I can set the transparency of everything on the layer so that it's see through (so a picture becomes see-through like stained glass instead of a solid painting). The more transparent I make a layer, the fainter the layer becomes, the more detail I can see underneath it (0% being totally clear and 100% being totally opaque).

You can see what I mean in this picture:
    [​IMG]

See the dog's reflection in the floor? All I did was create a layer, copied the dog's head, and pasted it into the new layer. I moved it down below the original dog head and flipped it so it's the opposite of the head above it. At that point there would be two heads and it would look wrong. So I set the transparency of the inverted dog head layer down until it came close the the look of Tom Cruise's reflection. Since it's see-through, the floor details show through it and it looks like a reflection.

A good example that's common on this thread is coloring chrome wheels black. If you just tried to paint over the wheel with a program like Paint, it would be very tedious and would probably look like crap. You'd have to get the right color, carefully fill in the color around the details so you don't lose them when you paint over them (lugnuts, lines in the wheel). It takes a long time to do it, you have to be very careful and you can't erase what you've done because the eraser removes everything on the picture, including what was originally there. Also, since the shading on the original wheel can all be slightly different colors, the painted over wheel will look flat.

However, if I add a layer on top of the wheel picture, I can paint over the whole wheel with a broad stroke and then set the transparency of that layer to something like 80% making it slightly see through. That allows the details of the wheel underneath (lines, lugnuts, emblems) to show through the black paint on top of it. Also, any shading that is different on the wheel will still come out. Plus, if I put too much paint over the wheel (so for example, it covers part of the tire), I can erase the paint layer without erasing the wheel underneath it. Coloring a wheel with this method can be done in about a minute.

Some other tools I found useful are the clone tool, the smudge tool (allows you to push colors into corners or edges), and the color replacement tool.

15. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Good explanation!

Just as with anything, there are many more ways to skin a cat... You can also use the Wand tool to select areas of a photo (rims in your example case) and once you have your selection the way you want it, apply a Hue/Saturation layer. No Opacity setting necessary. And with this method, you can use sliders to change colors, darknes, lightness, satruration, etc... Just as easy and quick as your method, but may offer more granularity to get colors and shades just right... Of course, it's the "getting your selection right" that can be tricky until you get the hang of it.

My experience with Photoshop comes from the fact that I'm a software developer that specializes in UI (user interface) design. Certainly not something I started off doing, just something I found that I had a knack for and really enjoyed. So, I'm essentially an engineer-minded type person that has enough graphical design skill to create appealing UIs. Put me in front of a blank screen and say "paint something" and I'm going to look at you like you're dumb... Just don't have THAT much of the creative side of my brain! :)

Photoshop is an amazing tool, but it has a bit of a learning curve. However, get around about 20% of that curve and you'll figure the rest out.

16. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    what they said ^^

i got bored and tired of asking my brother or other people to do stuff for me so i got my own copy of Photoshop CS2..the new version (mine is like 2 or 3 years old) is roughly $700

i just started reading tutorials on the web and lurking on photoshop forums (i have an awesome one bookmarked at home)

practice practice practice

ive seriously got tons of crap that i did just to see what happens and how this works

from there ive been able to slowly learn how to manipulate things and create

17. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I like adjusting opacity better, especially with black tint. I think adjusting opacity is easier (just one slider). I pick a color that's slightly darker than what I want to tint. The only time it becomes an issue is when I'm trying to make a dark object light. It can look weird sometimes. I still have to work on saturation/hue, though. I can never get it to look right. It can never hurt to be familiar with more than one way of doing things. Plus, like you said, selection can be a beotch if it's a complicated item. I'd probably spend as much time selecting as it takes to do with a new layer. With a transparency, I just erase what I don't want tinted.

I'm the same way. I was working on a website for my church. I told the pastor, I need someone with artistic skill to design it. They can tell me what looks good and I'll put it together.

18. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Very true.

Tip on the using the wand tool is adjusting the Tolerance property while you're working with it. The higher the value, the more tolerant it is on color changes and the wider the selection. Decrease it for more fine tuning. It gets faster the more you use it... :)

19. Jan 8, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I used this picture instead. Because of the angle of the wheel sample, it would have looked odd (offset hub). If you can find a straight side shot of the wheel we can put that on your side picture.
    tigraner09.jpg

20. Jan 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    HBtacoma

HBtacoma SoCal Tacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Huntington Beach
    || Deep Black Custom Paint By DUPONT FINISHES w/ Custom Airbrush Artwork || RCD 4.5 Inch Lift Kit || 20x10 Black XD Monster Wheels w/ Toyo MT 33x12.5x20 Tires || SATOSHI Grill || URD TCAI || Flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust || Pioneer AVIC-D3 w/ Bluetooth and Ipod || JL Audio 500/1 and 12" Kicker Sub || FJ 60 Toyota Emblem Painted Red || Black Custom Leather Interior w/graphite perforated body w/Red Double Stiching and TRD Logo || Leather Arm Rest Mod || T-REX Angry Eyelids || 20% Tinted Windows || Black Altezza Taillights || BHLM Headlights || LED Dome Light || LED Map Lights || HID 35w 6000k || Yellow Tinted Fogs || Nokya 2500k_55w Fog Lights || Painted Engine Cover || Bed Extender || Epic Indust. Bed Bar w/Fog Lamps Tinted Yellow ||

haha woww!! That there is my dream!!! Thats sickk thanksss for doing that bro!:)

p.s how big of a lift do u think that is?

To Top