Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

help starting photography

Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
help starting photography

Hello all, I am a avid backpacker and have been on the market for a camera to help me remember all the trips i take and to capture some of the amazing views i get to see. I was just wondering if someone could school me on what to look for in a camera. I was thinking about a DSLR or a compact system camera. DSLR seems to be pretty pricy but for good reason i assume. any input?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Sport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSport11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Sport11's Tacoma Gallery
bestbuy (or similar) usually has good entry-level DSLR's. i bought a canon t1i with two lenses and have been extremely happy. if you want to step up your photography, dslr is the way to go.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any suggestions on a good semi affordable dslr
Old 10-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #4

^ nice pics ben! im looking at a powershot as we speak
Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
thanks. its a great camera if you arent going to go full dslr. my uncle is the know it all of cameras and computers and he sold us on the powershot for a couple reasons.
even though it is only an 8 mega pixel, it has the right internals to get the most for the pixels. an 8 megapixel camera with the right internals and better lens will take better picture than those 12+ megapixel cameras that dont have as quality parts. just something to keep in mind
im glad you said that i saw that it was 8MP and i was confused...i guess im a newb and thought that the higher the MPs the better
Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #6

Im thinking about getting the nikon 1 j1.....anyone have any experience with this cam?
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to consider about DSLR's...you have the camera and the lens, and another lens, and a tripod..and the list goes on. That's a lot of weight to lug around, I know. Buying a DSLR is pointless unless you are going to be using more than one lens. There are several point and shoot (ie fixed lens) varieties out there that offer much of the same functionality as a DSLR but for much less $$$ and more portability.

Unless you're going to be very serious about photography I wouldn't suggest a DSLR for you. Look into maybe the Nikon Coolpix 100 series, Canon Powershot SX's or Sony Cyber Shot H series
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Imma say that for what you want to do with the camera, a dSLR isn't for you.

Probably something in the pocket range that's more than something in the $100 range and is flexible enough to get you a great picture most of the time.

I'd guess that a camera that's similar to a Canon S90 would be about right. It's a small camera that can work in fully manual mode or fully automatic and modes in between.

Of course there are cameras in the Nikon lineup that are similar in design and ability. I can't speak to them since I'm a Canon guy but I will say they're equally as good and will make nice pictures too. The Panasonic Lumix series are also worth looking at.

The Nikon J1 looks like an interesting camera and it's the beginning of a new generation of dSLR cameras. What I've read is all favorable and it looks like a great camera.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Try the Canon T3. It's a DSLR in a small package.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If you want a nice, cheap DSLR, thats lightweight.... maybe a Nikon D40 or D40x would be good for you. They're inexpensive and can handle all the 'cheaper' G series lenses.

Megapixels is a marketing gimick. Sensor size and glass clarity ultimately determines quality. Put your 8MP cell phone camera up against a Powershot, and then put your Powershot up against a Nikon D2x.... you'll see the differences.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that a dSLR probably isn't for you. Remember, the camera doesn't make the photo, the shooter does. I think something like the Canon S95 would be a perfect balance of quality and compactness
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #12

hmmm thanks for the tips guys and gals looks like its back for researching
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
One thing to consider about DSLR's...you have the camera and the lens, and another lens, and a tripod..and the list goes on. That's a lot of weight to lug around, I know. Buying a DSLR is pointless unless you are going to be using more than one lens. There are several point and shoot (ie fixed lens) varieties out there that offer much of the same functionality as a DSLR but for much less $$$ and more portability.

Unless you're going to be very serious about photography I wouldn't suggest a DSLR for you. Look into maybe the Nikon Coolpix 100 series, Canon Powershot SX's or Sony Cyber Shot H series
Definitely a good point. You'll end up dropping lots of $$$ if you go this route in the long run. HOWEVER, if you are looking to really step up your photography, DSLR is the way to go. But it will add a significant amount of weight and gear to your pack for backpacking. Take a look at both Nikon and Canon products. I'm biased with Nikon, but those are the only two companies I'd consider ever.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...PIX-AW100.html

weatherproof Point and Shoot

Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
If you want a nice, cheap DSLR, thats lightweight.... maybe a Nikon D40 or D40x would be good for you. They're inexpensive and can handle all the 'cheaper' G series lenses.

Megapixels is a marketing gimick. Sensor size and glass clarity ultimately determines quality. Put your 8MP cell phone camera up against a Powershot, and then put your Powershot up against a Nikon D2x.... you'll see the differences.

Truer words could not be spoken...
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Definitely a good point. You'll end up dropping lots of $$$ if you go this route in the long run. HOWEVER, if you are looking to really step up your photography, DSLR is the way to go. But it will add a significant amount of weight and gear to your pack for backpacking. Take a look at both Nikon and Canon products. I'm biased with Nikon, but those are the only two companies I'd consider ever.
weight is a issue i try to look out for....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
weather proof is a big plus
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #17

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-...&skuId=2462567

Im liking how this one sounds
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #18
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
I've been looking at this and the Canon D10 (not to be confused with the 10d). The Nikon is a bit slimmer. At this point, I'd give the nod to the Nikon.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
rollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrollin904 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
rollin904's Tacoma Gallery
I have the panasonic waterproof camera, I love it so far for fishing and camping...just fogs up sometimes but that happens with my DSLR as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...0165734&sr=8-4
Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #20

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
Im liking how this one sounds
Just FYI. Do you know about dpreview.com? Lots of reviews available. Good source of information.