Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

New DSLR, now what?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
New DSLR, now what?

I got my wife a Canon t3i for Christmas. I wondering what other things she may need to start off with. Stuff like software (for a Mac) and hardware she could use to get more enjoyment from the DSLR. I don't want her to get overwhelmed with it and just use it as a point and shoot. I'm thinking a photography class or two would be the most beneficial but until she can get into one is there any good books or websites yall would suggest for a beginner? The t3i seems to have some software to help teach the functions of the camera built into it but I'm thinkin is just a rough overview.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
I got my wife a Canon t3i for Christmas. I wondering what other things she may need to start off with. Stuff like software (for a Mac) and hardware she could use to get more enjoyment from the DSLR. I don't want her to get overwhelmed with it and just use it as a point and shoot. I'm thinking a photography class or two would be the most beneficial but until she can get into one is there any good books or websites yall would suggest for a beginner? The t3i seems to have some software to help teach the functions of the camera built into it but I'm thinkin is just a rough overview.
Photoshop Elements is pretty easy to use, if you get that for her, have her download the free Camera RAW editor from Adobe so she can edit RAW camera files.

forums like Dgrin, the Photo Forum are pretty good
Old 12-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
If she is just beginning, I wouldn't overwhelm her with too many accesories or add-ons. Software should be included; maybe a camera bag/case, lens protector and filters. Big enough and fast enough memory card and maybe an extra battery (however the battery life I have experienced with my T2i has been very good).
Old 12-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
What a great christmas she is going to have, thats a great gift. Maybe a nice tripod and a bag. It's always nice to have an extra battery as well.

Another good website to check out is froknowsphoto.com

Some people don't like him but I think he does a good job explaining things. And there's also a forum on there.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Good xmas gift and comments thus far. If you get her elements I'd suggest one of Scott Kelby's books to compliment the program. Also if she doesn't know much about photography and workings of a camera get her a book about photography instruction or an actual class at a local junior college.