Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

How sturdy are DSLRs?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Its probably fine. As long as nothing is cracked and the lens works smoothly I wouldn't worry.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Should be fine. There's plenty of padding in those boxes.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
youradhere is on a distinguished road
youradhere's Tacoma Gallery
Give it a try-- any jarring of the sensor will result in entire blocks of your picture (if not the entire photo) going missing. Remember to document how the box looks though before opening anything up

Beyond that, much of that durability depends on how the camera is constructed. If it's an entry level DSLR, it's a lot more prone to damage than a pro model-- plastic construction versus some of the nikon and canon mag body cams. many of the anti dust features involve a rapid shaking of the sensor anyway, so you're pretty well covered. Hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
DSLRs can take some pretty good abuse, even the entry level ones. I'm sure being rattled a bit in the box wouldn't have hurt anything.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
I've been rough on mine. Never had any problems.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #9
NetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud ofNetDep has much to be proud of

Army:
Name: Tim
NetDep's Tacoma Gallery
My guess would be that it is ok. If no physical damage to the camera or anything you can SEE that is broken or falling off - probably good. I have not abused my cameras but they do take some wear and tear. Take several pictures - take pictures rich in color and take pictures of something that looks like a test pattern - find a magaine or such. Do they look good? Normal? Does the camera not make any "funny" noises? Probabaly fine - but if you think you might not have confidence in the camera - take it back!! Your confidence in your gear is paramount -- test it -- if it satisfies you that is all that matters. If not - return it!! IMHO.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
DSLRs are beast. The only thing that ever broke from my friend knocking it over was the lens cracking. The bodies are usually composed of magnesium alloy and poly carbonate (my D7000 is anyway).
Old 01-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I think you're fine. Mine's held up to abuse. Hell it's been around the world and back and molested by various officials when I get searched and questioned for being a single male flying throughout Europe.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
The bodies of DSLRs are fairly resilient...but I wouldn't bang them around more than you can help.

What you really need to be careful of is the glass you own. I've had more glass ruined by carelessness than I care to admit. *hint* Shoot with the lens hood on ALL the time...it's a wonderful guard against bumps and knocks.