1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Nikon owners give me your thoughts

Discussion in 'Photography' started by MTgirl, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Dec 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I decided that it is time to upgrade to a 'real' DSLR and I have settled on the D5100. I say real because I have owned a Sony Alpha for the last few years and while I love it I know that Sony is sort of frowned upon by the pros (which I am anything but) and not a leader in the industry. Regardless of all of that my main reason for wanting a different camera is lenses - finding good quality lenses for the Sony is next to impossible. I hope to have better luck with a Nikon. Which leads me to my question. I am looking at the pre-packaged D5100 body and 18-55 & 55-300 lenses here
    What is the quality of the Nikkor AF lenses? And would I be better off to get the body and lenses separately?

2. Dec 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    09tacorunner

09tacorunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duke City
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    Personally I love Nikons products! You'll save a hell of a lot more money by looking at http://www.keh.com/
    The link you posted for your choice is about 1000 bucks where as you could save about 2 to 3 hundred for the same camera and lens together from my link. I have bought multiple items from them and highly recommend them!

3. Dec 20, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    We have a Nikon, and am quite happy with it. My Wife has shot a couple weddings with it, and I have taken some pics that have impressed myself with!

4. Dec 20, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My wife has a Nikon D5000 , she's pretty happy with it .

5. Dec 20, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    My dad has one as well. Its a quality camera and takes good photos as far as im concerned.

6. Dec 20, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I will check them out! Thanks for the link.

Well if it can survive you then it must be damn near bullet proof. :cool:

7. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    She only allows me to use it under supervision :(

8. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    :laugh:

9. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    i have a D90 and i got the kit with the 55-200. i love the kit lens and i will probably pick up the 18-55 on ebay one of these days. i would choose the 18-55 over the 55-300 because of speed. i don't have any first hand experience with the long lens but i have heard it is pretty slow for everyday use so if you don't have any other glass it may be annoying to have to deal with that big-ass slow(ish) lens. you can probably find both kit lenses at a camera shop and see if either suits you. a big thing to consider us weight. the 55-300 is pretty big.

aside from the 55-200 i bought a 30mm and 50mm prime lenses. you don't really need two but you should definately pick of one of these. the 50 is one of the cheapest lenses out there (not the 1.4) and it's super fast and tons of fun to shoot.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    I left my Nikon D70 and two lenses in a cab when I got back from my trip to Miami. Never got it back so just purchased a new Nikon D7000 so looking forward to using it. You will not be disappointed with the Nikon. I went with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lense as it was a good all around lens to begin with. Have to start all over but plan on getting a zoom lens in the future.

Hope you enjoy it and look forward to seeing your pictures in the photography thread.

11. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Only thing about that body is if you decide to get a cheap fast prime (50mm f/1.8) you will not have auto focus due to the fact that that lens does not have an AF motor, and neither do the low end Nikon bodies.

Now Its been a while since I was researching DSLR's so this may have changed but that is one reason I decided to go canon.

12. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    Walter541

Walter541 the game is the game

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
    Revtek 3in lift, Alpine INA 910, Westin Bull Bar, Polk Audio speakers, Kicker 1000W amp, Kicker 12in Sub, K&N Air Intake, Royal Purple Fluids, NGK Iridium IX spark plugs, NGK Wire Set, Ultra Wheels, Bigfoot XT Tires, Line X Bed Liner, PIAA Fog Lights, Limo Tint
    I have a D300 takes great pictures and lots of nice features. Its all about the lens thou 50mm f/1.4G FTW!

13. Dec 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    I'm not surprised :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:
    I have both a 18-70 and 55-200 for my Sony and the 200 just isn't cutting it for me, hence the step up to the 300 with the Nikon. I do a lot of wildlife photography and for my safety and out of respect for the animals I keep my distance.

I do have a local camera shop that keeps a good inventory of new and used lenses I just haven't been by lately to see what they have.

Thanks for the info - sucks that you lost your other camera! I would be furious if mine ever got lost/stolen.

Your post reminded me of another issue too....going with a different brand I'm going to have to learn a whole new user interface...menu system...ughhh! Any recommendations for books or online tutorials? The owners manuals just seem to skim the surface and aren't really useful.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
  15. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I also picked up a D5100 a couple months ago and I love it. It came with the 18-55 lens as a kit, and I got it on Amazon for less than $800. Get yourself familiar with shooting in all conditions in Manual mode and you will be a master. You'll get far better results than in any Auto mode, and you'll learn the ins and outs of your camera pretty quick. It only took me about 2 weeks to master manual settings, and this was my first DSLR.

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Ive got a d3000..love it when i find time to use it..i shot some nice pics last year, impressed me for being such a novice.

17. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    It really depends on your budget. You get what you pay for. The only reason why Sony isn't preferred by "pros" is because like you said, they're not one of the leading companies...yet. Their A900 is a nice camera especially if you pair it with some Zeiss glass. What is your budget? I owned a Nikon D80 for 3 years and it was an awesome camera. It had really great white balance control and awesome picture quality (depending on the lens).

I would look at Nikon, Canon, Pentax and Olympus for lower end consumer cameras. Try to get a feel for each camera in person. That will really help your decision process go a lot smoother. Honestly, there are a ton of great cameras out there, you just have to figure out what you want in a camera.

Good luck!

18. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
  19. Dec 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Andres

Andres Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road
    I'm happy with my Nikon D7000

Back in July/August I took a trip to Ireland. Before the trip I wanted to capture some awesome pictures but my point-and-shoot camera wasn't going to do the job. I bought a Nikon D7000 with the 18-200 telephoto lens in Costco for under 2K. I am not a professional protographer, far from it but I am very impressed with the type of pictures I took on my trip.

Sony Alpha is not bad either, one guy in Ireland told me that Nikon cameras have Sony components inside :eek:. They're all good cameras, it all comes down to how much you want to spend and buying the right camera for the right job. Also, no camera will make you a pro, you really have to do your homework and learn to use your camera. Go to a camera store and ask lots of questions, those guys are usually passionate about cameras and they can talk cameras all day just as we talk Tacomas = ].

Good luck with your purchase

-Andres

20. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    youradhere

youradhere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    I've shot Nikon for several years now professionally-- I made my dive into digital with a D40 late 2006 if I remember right

The 18-55 that was released back then was above and beyond what most of the other manufacturers were putting out as far as a bundled lens went. This should definitely be your go-to lens.

There are plenty of offerings by third party companies as well (sigma, tamron, tokina), but with the exception of maybe Tokina, they just don't perform as well as the kit nikon lens, though they may have more flexibility, being constant aperture or wide range. the 55-300 came out well after I switched to a 70-200 for telephoto, but I did own the 55-200 in the early days.

Pretty strong performer for its category, but if you can afford to hold off on the telephoto to pick up something a bit more hefty later, I believe it would pay off well. Most of the cheaper telephotos won't stop down below 5.6 or 6.3 at full extension, this can really make it hard to get sharp photos at range without optimal lighting or use of a tripod. They also fail to take advantage of having that 3.5 (still kinda large) aperture available at range.

Just my two cents, feel free to PM if anything!

Happy shooting... no matter what lenses you have, what really matters is getting out there, getting practice and getting better

Products Discussed in

To Top