Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Time for a DSLR

Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Time for a DSLR

Looking at picking up a DSLR but not sure where to start. I want something that's basic enough to be used by someone that's new to photgraphy but something that I won't "outgrow" in 3 months and wish I had bought something nicer and with more features. 95% of my pictures will be taken outdoors in bright daylight but I want something that can take low light pictures as well. Not really worried about whether it has video capabilities or not as I have a very rarely video anything and have a video camera when I do. I'm basically looking for a starting point that I can learn with and a good base with many lense options later down the road. I've seen some awesome photos on here that members have taken so I'm turning to y'all. What camera meets my needs? With what you know about cameras and photography, what would you do if you were just starting out?

PS: My experience with cameras doesn't extend beyond using my point and click so if you're going to use big words and fancy camera terms explain them please lol
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also I didn't list a price range for a reason. While I don't want to go out and dump $2500 on a camera to start out with I'm open to all suggestions. I don't mind paying more to get somethign better quality.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Look around and see if you can find a used Nikon D-40. Great entry level DSLR, that will do "most" anything you need, but you can be very creative also. I think the person behind the camera matters more than the camera. I'm sure others will disagree, they always do...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Look around and see if you can find a used Nikon D-40. Great entry level DSLR, that will do "most" anything you need, but you can be very creative also. I think the person behind the camera matters more than the camera. I'm sure others will disagree, they always do...
Not really looking to buy used. I agree that it's the person behind the camera but if I have a sucky camera that won't let me "grow" then I'll remain sucky forever.

Also, I'm looking to buy before the weekend.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I bought my nikon d3000 as a left over once the 3100 came out. The 3100 is a great entry camera, easy to use. I used my 3000 a few times(not as much as planned), but it does everything I want it to do. NO need to spend over $1000 on an entry level camera.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Canon 7d dust and weather resistant . Or canon 60d .
Old 12-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
I started out with a Nikon D3100 and it has been great camera to learn on. It has a "guide" mode to help you out when choosing the settings you want to use. (Check out my Flickr page in my sig to see some of my photos).

I will say I have "out grown" my camera, but that is due me shooting more sports, and various assignments I get from my photo editor for USF's school newspaper.

EDIT: you can also look into the D5100, D90 (going to be discontinued soon), or the D7000
Old 12-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Costco has some great deals on Camera's, if you want to buy on line, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal or better customer service then http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Try http://www.dpreview.com/ for unbiased reviews.
All of the big name brands are very good, pick a brand and stick with it. Don't fall for the "kits" with multiaple lens, the 20 to 1000 lens they included is crap. After you try/play with a couple of camera bodies check with some of the members here, most are Nikon guys but there are a bunch of us Canon guys too.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
I bought my nikon d3000 as a left over once the 3100 came out. The 3100 is a great entry camera, easy to use. I used my 3000 a few times(not as much as planned), but it does everything I want it to do. NO need to spend over $1000 on an entry level camera.
This ^^, you can do very well right around $699 to $899, very well.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
I bought mine BRAND NEW, for under $600 as a "left over"
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
Canon t2is are getting pretty cheap. If you think you'll use the weatherproofing, 7D.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the Nikon D5100 bundle from Costco yesterday. I can't wait to learn on that thing. Takes great photos simply on auto so far. I can't wait to learn some of the manual functions.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Costco has some great deals on Camera's, if you want to buy on line, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal or better customer service then http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Try http://www.dpreview.com/ for unbiased reviews.
All of the big name brands are very good, pick a brand and stick with it. Don't fall for the "kits" with multiaple lens, the 20 to 1000 lens they included is crap. After you try/play with a couple of camera bodies check with some of the members here, most are Nikon guys but there are a bunch of us Canon guys too.

Good luck
I've always been a Nikon guy for optics. All my rifle scopes, binoculars, point and shoots have all been Nikon. But I'm leaning toward a Canon DSLR. All my family members that have them have Canons and they speak very highly of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
This ^^, you can do very well right around $699 to $899, very well.
That's about what I plan on spending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph View Post
Canon t2is are getting pretty cheap. If you think you'll use the weatherproofing, 7D.
Don't need to weatherproofing but for less than $100 more than a T2i I can get a T3i. It's what I'm leaning toward. Going to go in the morning when I get off work and look at both.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Canon t3i.
My wife is into photography and after much research she concluded that the t3i is the way to go. It is about the same as the 60D but less $$. Also outperformed the various Nikons, although there is nothing wrong with the Nikons - 5100 etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #15
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I heard good things about the speed of the Sony A35. Something like 7fps and great for shooting video
Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #16
Addicted to V8s
Toph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shedToph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toph's Tacoma Gallery
The t3i adds a swiveling screen, manual audio level and digital zoom. Unless you can snag one of the amazon t2i+printer+lense deal, then I'd go t3i. I didn't realize they were so close in price now.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toph View Post
The t3i adds a swiveling screen, manual audio level and digital zoom. Unless you can snag one of the amazon t2i+printer+lense deal, then I'd go t3i. I didn't realize they were so close in price now.
Yeah I can pick up a T3i for $720 and the T2i is $640
Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #18
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
T3i is a good choice too . Just not good for sports .
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
got my used D40 for $300 and a 18-200mm lens for $400:
fully zoomed out:

fully zoomed in:

action shot:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #20
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
That's some serious zoom !