Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

How do you price your work?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
How do you price your work?

I'm getting ready to put a few of my photographs in some local exhibits and to do so I am required to list them for sale (not an issue) but I have no idea where to begin as far as determining a price for them (never done this before). So...how do you determine what to price your photos at?

I was thinking cost of framing + cost of printing + X% (for transportation costs, etc). And maybe a separate price for the print, unframed. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
NitroCircus177 will become famous soon enough
NitroCircus177's Tacoma Gallery
http://froknowsphoto.com/how-to-price-your-photography/

check out this link... and look around the site he has a lot of great info
Old 01-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Really depends on your level, intentions, and quality. By all means, do not low ball your work. I need to find some local exhibits for my work....
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
U need skills first c-section.

I mean connor

Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCircus177 View Post
http://froknowsphoto.com/how-to-price-your-photography/

check out this link... and look around the site he has a lot of great info
Thanks. The video was more about pricing for photoshoots. I need to figure out pricing for photos that I already have. And I take them while I'm out hiking, driving, and basically having fun so I don't know if its fair to charge for my time shooting...

I did find some interesting info in the forum over there that helped out more with pricing for prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
What are they pics of Lisa?

BROCKOLI!!!! Not that!

Mostly landscape and wildlife pics...the places and things that I run across when I'm out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Really depends on your level, intentions, and quality. By all means, do not low ball your work. I need to find some local exhibits for my work....
beginner
just looking to 'get out there' so to speak
I think a few of my shots are good, but then you are your own worst critic right?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
beginner
just looking to 'get out there' so to speak
I think a few of my shots are good, but then you are your own worst critic right?
Hard to say then. Maybe take a look online at similar shots and use that as a guideline...

And extremely extremely true about being your own worst critic.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Your cost X 2 is what my wife says.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #8

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Hard to say then. Maybe take a look online at similar shots and use that as a guideline...

And extremely extremely true about being your own worst critic.
These are the guys I know but they are more pro than I will ever be, some of them list there prices
http://www.alaskanvision.com/ImageGa...2-42e509fca45c
http://stock.tobinphoto.com/
http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/catalog.jsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Your cost X 2 is what my wife says.
Thats seems like it could be a little steep
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you decide, price-wise, i'd come up with a little sig (where ever) on the photo's so the work can be identified as yours from the start.

Should it take off for you, it would be nice to have a consistent mark to identify your stuff from the beginning, and could help boost the value for further sales.

Ya never know....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #10

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Whatever you decide, price-wise, i'd come up with a little sig (where ever) on the photo's so the work can be identified as yours from the start.

Should it take off for you, it would be nice to have a consistent mark to identify your stuff from the beginning, and could help boost the value for further sales.

Ya never know....
Already got that...I also paint and have used the same signature since I was in high school. Never sold any of my artwork, too time consuming to create it just to turn around and get rid of it. Photos are much quicker to create so I don't have a problem parting with them.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I was always told this.

Frame $ + Printing $ + Time $ + 25%.
So depending on the size of the picture. And how much you want to charge for your time. It can vary.

A buddy of mine sold a picture of The Blackwater Canyon here in WV. Covered in snow. At 4:30 AM. With a full moon lighting up the snow. 16x20. I helped him price it. Here is how we did it.

Mid range frame cost $45. Printed it for around $15 or so. So there's $60. I figured nobody in their right mind would be at 4k feet at 4 am in 3 feet of snow. So i figured his time was well worth $100. So there's $160. 25% of that = $40. Priced the photo at $200. Entered it into a photo contest. The owner of the business bought it for $200. Found out later he sold it for more than that. Called back and asked for full rights to the photo. Josh sold him the rights for something crazy like $500 or something.

I always ask my wife or neighbor or somebody that has a passion for photography. Would you pay xxxxx$ for this photo?