Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Canon t3 or s100?

Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Canon t3 or s100?

Alright TW photographers.. need some help. I am debating. SLR or point and shoot? i think i've narrowed it down to the S100 for a point and shoot and T3 for the SLR.
Little about myself and where i think ill be using the camera the most.
I'm a nature buff. Love hiking, camping, backpacking, traveling, etc. Will be taking lots of scenery shots, not too man close ups, but it would be nice to do a few. Not big on taking videos, but i would still like the option, especially because i will be in europe for two months come this summer.
would like to be budget conscious. (although i would love a canon t2i.. getting to be a little too expensive)

so i love the point and shoot because:
compact
ton of options

i love the slr because:
great photo quality
great zoom
more "printable" type pictures.

so what are you opinions? any suggestions would be great!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go s100 and skip the t3 .Not saying t3 is bad or anything but if I went dslr I'd upgrade of the t3.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
I think you are trying to have an all in one solution, with two cameras that dont quite cover what you want.

the s100 is a p&s, which means it is a snapshot camera, but just so happens to have full manual controls, sans hot shoe.

the t3i/t2i is a dslr, which is the starting point to what could be an expensive hobby.

you want to stay on budget? stay with an s100. you want bad ass photos? take a camera class, and outgrow your s100(it does have a semi high ceiling for a noob). buying a dslr and not knowing how far you'll delve into photography would not be prudent to your wallet.

sure, the sensor on the t3i is larger than the s100 sensor(meaning better quality photos), but if you aren't skillful enough to understand that, then I think you should err on the less expensive side.

k, off my noob soapbox
Old 04-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a great source for comparing cameras. http://www.imaging-resource.com
For something in-between the two models listed above I found the Canon SX40 HS a good camera when you don't want to lug a SLR but want more features than a pocket camera. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...HS/SX40HSA.HTM
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Sx40 is the size of a slr .
Old 04-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I'll post photos of my slr and sx40 later today. the slr is (nearly) twice the
size/weight of the sx40.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
OP - what did you end up getting? or are you still on the fence?
Old 04-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
OP - what did you end up getting? or are you still on the fence?
well, after a few more hours of research, and then fiddling with each at the store (which honestly doesnt help much imo, been beaten up to much) and taking what you guys said into consideration, i settled on the s100.

and i love this thing!
the number of features on it are great. took a little bit of fussing around with to figure out and find all of them but its a pretty easy camera once you know how to work it. the size is great, picture quality for a p&s is pretty dang good, but still not comparable to a SLR.
I figured though, if im going to be tromping around europe this summer, the slr's were just going to be too big for the trip.

i took it out to my grandparents who live in pebble beach and took some great shots out by the water to test is out!
Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
I'll post photos of my slr and sx40 later today. the slr is (nearly) twice the
size/weight of the sx40.
Yeah but it comes down to putting it in your pocket or not . A s100 can be put in your pocket .
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
you wont be disappointed with that s100. I have an s90, and it has definitely proved worthy for a p&s. I dont use it anymore, sadly. it was replaced with a fuji x100
Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I've used this for a pocket camera the last 6 years and likely I'll replace it with a s100 or similar when it dies....

...but if I was only carring the V570 when I was in Tetons I wouldn't have captured this shot and that's why I have the sx40 with the 35x optical zoom (24-840mm). Great for hiking as I don't have to carry 3 lenses as I would with the Sony slr.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
I've used this for a pocket camera the last 6 years and likely I'll replace it with a s100 or similar when it dies....

...but if I was only carring the V570 when I was in Tetons I wouldn't have captured this shot and that's why I have the sx40 with the 35x optical zoom (24-840mm). Great for hiking as I don't have to carry 3 lenses as I would with the Sony slr.
that is a beautiful picture! yep i am definitely pleased with my purchase!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #13

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a custom grip for the S100
http://www.kleptography.com/rf/