would you be ok spending $500 on a point and shoot that could take better photos than that kodak of yours, or are you hard up on a dslr? sometimes dslrs are a bit much for people.
nikon coolpix 7100
panasonic lumix lx5
what do I shoot with? I have a nikon d700, fuji x100, and a canon s90. I dont use the s90 these days, just taking up space and collecting dust.
associated costs with getting a dslr for the first time, that most dont realize:
1. need more zoom(purchase another lens)
2. want to get tighter(purchase another lens)
3. it's bulky(will have to adjust, or plan to take it out with you during the day)
4. how do I work this?(learn how to use the camera, or photography in itself - i.e. settings, exposure, etc)
5. I need more flash(purchase an external flash unit, or learn how to use available light around you - see no. 4)
6. it's too big to be convenient for everyday use(shouldnt be a "special occasion camera" just because it is a dslr. it just has the potential to take better pictures than a point and shoot)