Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Photography

Notices

Help needed for a weekend hobby camera

Old 06-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
superfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

superfair92's Tacoma Gallery
Help needed for a weekend hobby camera

We're looking for a DSLR for out and about photos. Looking for something around or below the $500.00 mark. Right now we have a point and shoot Kodak digital. It's ok but looking to take better and crisper photos.

We've been told we could get a Nikon or Canon entry level but just not sure what to go with. We don't want to go to a store and be suckered into the wrong direction for not knowing what's what.

We've been told a Canon EOS T3 or Nikon D3000 is this right? Or what would the experts here say?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
would you be ok spending $500 on a point and shoot that could take better photos than that kodak of yours, or are you hard up on a dslr? sometimes dslrs are a bit much for people.

recommendations:
canon s100
fuji x10
canon g12
nikon coolpix 7100
panasonic lumix lx5

what do I shoot with? I have a nikon d700, fuji x100, and a canon s90. I dont use the s90 these days, just taking up space and collecting dust.

associated costs with getting a dslr for the first time, that most dont realize:
1. need more zoom(purchase another lens)
2. want to get tighter(purchase another lens)
3. it's bulky(will have to adjust, or plan to take it out with you during the day)
4. how do I work this?(learn how to use the camera, or photography in itself - i.e. settings, exposure, etc)
5. I need more flash(purchase an external flash unit, or learn how to use available light around you - see no. 4)
6. it's too big to be convenient for everyday use(shouldnt be a "special occasion camera" just because it is a dslr. it just has the potential to take better pictures than a point and shoot)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
6spd's Tacoma Gallery
Did that help you(or anyone else) with your decision making?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Canon XS

It's an oldish camera, but still has good specs. Don't get scared at it only having 10megapixels as unless you are cropping a lot or making huge prints, you won't see the difference between 10 and 18, except in file size.

And please read 6spd's post. Exactly what you need to know
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you intent to shoot any kind of sports/action photography, an SLR is a must. With point-and-shoot cameras, there's too much shutter lag.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
superfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsuperfair92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

superfair92's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a Sony DSC-HX200V . I found it on sale for $400.00. I liked it just a little better than the Canon 40 and Nikon 510.
So anyone else have this one? Anything good or bad? Thanks.